The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Freakdaddy

Loading Rem 870, shell sticking

I bought my son an 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. about 3-4 years ago. It has probably had 1000-1200 rounds through it. Here's the problem I'm experiencing.

When I put two in the magazine the first one goes in fine, no problems and nice and smooth. The second round is a different story. It constantly hangs up and I have to use extra force to get it seated properly. Now here's the strange part. I cycle the action, the second shell (the one that hangs up) goes into the chamber flawlessly. I then proceed to put one more in the magazine. Now theoretically this could still be viewed as the second round in the magazine, the one that always hangs up. This one DOESN'T! It goes in as smooth as the first one. I shoot the 3 rounds, reload and experience the exact same scenario EVERY TIME. It could be the first 3 rounds or the last 100. It doesn't matter if it is 2 3/4 field loads or 3" turkey loads.

I hate to spend the money to send it back to the factory or even take it to a gunsmith if this is an easy fix. I have taken it apart and everything looks fine, unless I can't see the forest for the trees. If anyone has insight to what is going on or a fix that I might be overlooking, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Alan
Old April 15, 2006, 12:29 PM   #2
tBlake08

If you're cycling it fast then you may not be shucking it all the way, but I'm pretty sure thats not the problem. Possibly something to do with the release lever? But I know that with 1000-1200 rounds thru that gun it hasn't started the breaking in process and might be a little sticky...Gotta love an 870

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 15, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Here's probably what's happening.

When the 870 is NOT cocked, the forearm is free to move to the rear about 3/4".
When it does so, it interferes with chambering a round.

When the gun is cocked with a round in the chamber, the forearm is locked forward and the shells load in easily.

Try holding the forearm forward as you load the magazine.

I'll bet the "problem" goes away.