The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 13, 2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Hunter Customs

Cans on AR's

Anyone running a can on their AR?
If so what manufacture is it and are you happy with the results?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 13, 2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Technosavant

I have a YHM Phantom 5.56.

It works fine. The gas blowback out of the action gets annoying... to tell the truth, if I were building up an AR specifically for suppressed use I'd have to seriously consider a piston design. Yes, you can get charging handles that cut down on it or use RTV to seal it up better, but I'm not sure any of those are ideal solutions.

Sound suppression is decent. There's better models than the one I got (had I done more research, I might have bought a different one... not that mine's bad, it's just that there's better), and even better ones have come out in the meantime. I'm not sure it's to the point of "go to indoor range without hearing protection" but it sure does cut down on the noise.

The can does get HOT. Amazingly so. As in, don't touch the thing or you'll lose your fingerprints" after a couple magazines. I made the mistake of putting it down on a rubber mat and it melted the mat after 100 rounds or so. Mechanic's gloves and a silicone pot holder are an absolute must for a range session.

Am I happy with it? It's fine. I have to admit it's basically a toy... while I have it sitting on my defensive AR in my safe (in the unlikely event of needing it for that, I can get another suppressor if I have to... lost hearing is gone forever), I can't say I ever needed it, so I don't know if I'd go buy it again. But it is fun.
Old December 13, 2016, 11:15 AM   #3
MarkCO

I use the GemTech Halo. Wanted the most durable one I could find and this one fit the bill for me. With the mount, I can swap onto several firearms onto just a birdcage, which had worked well for me, even onto the bolt gun.

I reload, so I have been able to optimize the loads for the AR to the system, but you can also turn down the gas if you want.
Old December 13, 2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

I have an Ops Inc. 16th Model (5.56) and an AAC-762-SDN for my general purpose rifle suppressor. The 16th is quieter if you shoot side by side on a 5.56; but both will make a supersonic rifle round about as loud as an unsuppressed .22 LR. They also change the noise in some environments.

The downside is increased barrel heat, mirage, and the extra accuracy challenge created by hanging a 20oz weight on the end of your barrel.

As far as gas in the face, my experience is most of that comes from the ejection port anyway. An adjustable gas system will help by reducing the amount of gas venting out of the holes on the side of the bolt carrier; but it is just one of those things created by the extra backpressure a suppressor adds.
Old December 13, 2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I am running a Surefire Genesis and a Silencerco Omega on my AR Grendels and am quite pleased with their performance. The Genesis is stainless and heavier (18 oz), but feels rock solid and works great. The Omega is titanium and other lightweight stuff (14 oz), has multiple types of attachment, and works great.

The heavier Genesis is slower to heat up and retains heat longer than the Omega.

Ditto on the adjustable gas system. Longer barrels are less affected by the extra gas pressure than the shorter barrel systems.
Old December 13, 2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Mobuck

Harvester (30 cal) on 16" carbines. Dedicated 22 cal on the way(hoping it's quieter than the .30). I'm satisfied with the results I get while hunting coyotes-they don't know where the shot came from.
Ran the Harvester on a DI with adjustable gas block last year. I got quite a bit of fouling in the magazine but not even a whiff of gas past the BCM charge handle.
This fall, I have a new 16" Adams' Arms piston upper. Still get some fouling in the magazine but far less than with DI. The easy adjust "open, suppressed, closed" poppet valve is great.
For low volume (hunting) use, I'm not sure the piston upper is worth retail(I didn't pay retail) but different is cool so I'll stick with it.
Old December 14, 2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

Great responses, thanks to all for taking the time to do so.

Mobuck you touched on exactly why I'm thinking of getting a can, coyote hunting.
If I purchase one it will be a 22cal.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 14, 2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

You know, given the time and cost, you might consider a 7.62 can with a changeable end cap for .223 caliber, such as with the Silencerco Omega. I would give you versatility to use the can on other rifles from 300/308 on down (not rimfires). You could change the end cap for somewhat better noise suppression when using .223. It would not be quite as good as a full .223 suppressor, but you probably would not notice much of a difference.

Such a setup would cost you more to have the accessories to go between rifles, but it would be much less than buying multiple suppressors.

I don't even bother with the smaller end cap when I switch between calibers.

I am suggesting this because once you experience the benefit of suppression, you will likely want it on other guns. If you go with the .223 size, you can't go up in caliber, but you can use smaller calibers in a 308 can, hence being more versatile for you, not just for now, but in the future. So if you are going to buy only one can, maybe ever, get one that will do more for you. Just a thought.
Old December 16, 2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Double Naught Spy, thank you for your suggestion there's definitely a lot of merit to it.
However I'm down sizing my gun collection in a large way and plan on only having three rifles left, two AR's and a bolt gun all in 223 caliber.
That is my reason for getting a can in 22 caliber only.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 16, 2016, 07:08 PM   #10
Mobuck

"Mobuck you touched on exactly why I'm thinking of getting a can, coyote hunting.
If I purchase one it will be a 22cal."

I got caught up in the "one size fits all" concept on my first one. It does well enough and is adequate for most purposes. I run calibers from 5.45x39 to 300AAC through it(mostly .223 and 6.8) so the one size is an advantage.
Due to the construction of the Harvestor, it has limitations on barrel length. I decided I wanted a dedicated .224 can that was rated for use on my 11.5" AR pistol and hoping it's a wee bit quieter than the .30 Harvestor.
Regarding the use for coyote hunting: The can is an absolute hoot on the hunt. Yoties don't seem to know where the shot originated and are likely to offer a follow up if you miss or even better, an opportunity at a double before #2 gets the idea. I'm kind of short so my problem is keeping the muzzle out of the snow when carrying with a crossbody sling.
Old December 16, 2016, 07:17 PM   #11
MarkCO

My Halo spends more time on my Mossberg MVP shooting furbearers and rodents than anything else. I shot .223 through my .30 caliber can before the .223 can and there is enough difference to me that the .223 can was well worth it.
Old May 21, 2017, 07:00 PM   #12
vtchopperdude

I have a SilencerCo Specwar 762 that I use on my 308 FAL and my 223 AR...can't really tell much sound difference, and I like the weight of it.

Old May 23, 2017, 06:59 PM   #13
Arizona Fusilier

I have a Gemtec of sorts (it's old) that's on my AR-15 Sporter full-auto conversion. I confess I don't have a lot of range time with it, but it kinda sounds like a .22lr.

Never occurred to me that a big can could be used successfully with smaller calibers. I plan on broadening​ my horizons with something like .300 Blackout in the future.