The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 15, 2015, 10:28 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Savage 23 Stock Mounting

I am blessed with Savage 23 B, C, and D models. The 'D' had the chamber reamed for .22 K Hornet and was restocked. It's a nice enough stock, but I'm having trouble getting the thing to group, and I wonder if that could be the issue. The Savage 23 action is attached to the stock with two machine screws, one just behind the mag well and a smaller one forward a couple inches. For some reason, the restocker only used the rear screw. The pillar is there, as well as the proper hole in the stock, but the penetration for the screw is sealed with filler. Before I go searching for a screw or trying more loads, what do you all think?
Old October 15, 2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Scorch

I've got a 23B in 22 Hornet. Shoots OK, even though it is in original configuration. The barrel is heavy enough that the relatively loose full-length bedding does not affect it. With just one action screw, you are going to have a devil of a time getting it to shoot, I would convert it back to 2 screws. Also, that old barrel may be a bit on the worn side.
Old October 22, 2015, 12:24 PM   #3
ligonierbill

I took the front action screw from one of my other 23's and tried it in the Hornet. Got a little resistance; either corrosion or the threads bunged up. Not wanting to damage the good one, and with little to lose, I took a 8-32 tap to the thing. Drilled out the wood filler and installed a 3/4" 8-32 machine screw. Not exactly elegant, but the head is recessed into the stock, so it doesn't look awful. The best part - I took it to the range today and shot a 1" group with Sierra .223 40's over H110. I'm happy!