The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Ridgewalker

Seattle Gun BuyBack Gets JACKED! Turns Into Gun Show!

Here's how to respond to every gun turn in program. Who knows you may find a real keeper. As a bonus you are helping get guns off the streets!

Police officers in Seattle, Washington held their first gun buyback program in 20 years this weekend, underneath interstate 5, and soon found that private gun collectors were working the large crowd as little makeshift gun shows began dotting the parking lot and sidewalks. Some even had “cash for guns” signs prominently displayed.

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seatt...-gun-show-lol/
Old January 29, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
But the BuyBack wasn’t a bust. On the contrary – their $80,000 supply of gift cards didn’t last but 2 hours, and by 11:00 am they began attempting to issue IOU’s at which point the entire crowd responded by turning and marching toward the gun dealers, forcing the police officers to pack it up for the day.
Who would take IOUs from the police?
Old January 29, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Skadoosh

The Blaze also covered the story. I think the whole gun buyback program is quite stupid anyway. And I think the people who bring guns to police department sponsored buy backs are realizing the same.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...yed-by-police/

...they included a funny picture:
Old January 29, 2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
they included a funny picture
How did he keep all the cops from hanging out at his table?
Old January 29, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Big Blue Cats

That is awesome!
Old January 29, 2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Lordy123

Won't someone think of the children!?
Old January 29, 2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Big Blue Cats

My children will need guns, so yeah I'm thinking of their future!
Old January 29, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Xfire68

Quote:
Won't someone think of the children!?
I am sure they were welcome to have a cookie or donuts too.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Big Blue Cats

If they thought about the children nerf guns would be banned
Old January 29, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
candr44

Is this the same show where someone turned in a fired launch tube for a stinger missile?
Old January 29, 2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Patriot86

I am happy we won't be seeing any civil war era firearms, or WWII STG-44 rifles ending up in the smelter. Seriously, the historical preservation groups should be giddy because antique firearms are being saved and the recycling/green groups should be happy because these guns can be resold instead of new guns being made(better for the environment right?)

Quote:
Who would take IOUs from the police?
I don't know about Washington but in Illinois HECK NO!
You have tons of documented cases where people who are owed a lot of money back come tax time, especially those who own small businesses have to wait sometimes 1+ years to get the money. Why? Because Illinois is broke and Can't pay its bills. Chicago Public Schools regularly can take up to a year to pay their bills as well.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Is this the same show where someone turned in a fired launch tube for a stinger missile?
Oh my. The good news is that is in no way a live round or capable of firing. Unlike a .50 caliber bullet a real one really can can take down a jet liner.

Quote:
A man standing outside the event Saturday bought the military weapon for $100 from another person there, according to Detective Mark Jamieson.
Quote:
Police took possession of the launch tube Saturday. Police said the man who had purchased it agreed to accept a gift card as compensation if the launch tube is not returned to him, though the man indicated he wanted to keep it if he was legally able to do so.
Funny that is the only mention of people standing outside buying by the Startrib

I imagine it was stolen so he will end up with the gift card.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18...1.html?refer=y
Old January 29, 2013, 12:30 PM   #13
jimpeel

From the comments at the Blaze story:

Quote:
The MANPAD pictured is a FIM 43 US military issue (1968-95)
The FIM-43 Redeye was produced for U.S. Army in the 70′s, 80′s and early 90′s before it was replaced with the FIM-92A Stinger. It had a weight of 18.3lbs and was just under 4′ long. It had an effective range of 14,800ft with an M222 Blast-fragmentation warhead. The warhead weighed 2.35lbs and detonated via an impact fuze. It had a top speed of Mach 1.7 and was guided via infrared homing.
Another commenter stated:

Quote:
The shoulder fired missile systems developed for the military are intended for one-and-done use. While they can be reloaded & reused, one would only do so if one didn’t mind the system blowing up on their shoulder. The pressure of the first launch ruins the tube, and therefore the system becomes useless for a second.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 29, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Dre_sa

there's been a few turn-in programs here in cali, I doubt I'd be able to get away with buying from folks turning stuff in...
Old January 29, 2013, 12:39 PM   #15
jimpeel

You could interview them to see what they have and if it is of interest you could hand them a card and encourage them to leave and meet you later.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 29, 2013, 12:56 PM   #16
SPEMack618

Darn! I have an old LAW tube that I took home from drill to use for Halloween one year. With Valentine's Day coming up, I could really use $150.

And I have a piece of junk Jennings....
Old January 29, 2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
How did he keep all the cops from hanging out at his table?
Old January 29, 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
RickB

I hung-out there, for about an hour. I was as interested in the process, as anything else. The line of people waiting, gun(s) in hand, was a block long, and until they got to the FRONT of the line, nobody checked to see if any of the guns were loaded!
From the looks of most of the guns being turned-in, I'd say they weren't taken "off the street", so much as out of the barn. Mostly rimfire bolt-guns, though there was some interesting stuff.
While the whole idea of a buy-BACK is ridiculous, this one at least had a little thought behind it. They claimed they would try to return guns that were determined to be stolen, and they apparently were not going to destroy guns which had been identified as rare or collectible, though I don't know who was responsible for making that call, or who would have access to any resulting sales.
I've seen some reports that made it sound like there was "a table" where people could get cash for their guns, if they thought they wanted more than $100, and in the form of money rather than a gift card, but I'd say the number of people actively trying to buy guns before they went behind the "do not cross" tape, was close to twenty, at noon.
I had some money in my pocket, but I should have shown up late, rather than early, to catch the people who came out for a gift card but got there too late; those folks might take $50 cash, rather than carry the gun home.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:06 AM   #19
kilimanjaro

The rocket launcher was empty, inoperable, but they bought it no questions asked, makes me wonder if Dick Tracy just blew what could have been an investigation leading to someone dealing in arms from Ft. Lewis, or a terrorist cell?

The police chief said the launcher 'was the reason we need universal background checks'. Really, he said that.

They got neary 800 weapons, about half rifles & shotguns, the rest pistols, from the news report. Since long guns are not generally used in crimes, they only potentially got 400 guns 'off the street', as they say. However, since 4, yes, 4, of those handguns were found to be stolen, the true number of guns 'off the street' should be reckoned on the fingers of one hand.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:14 PM   #20
RickB

Quote:
The police chief said the launcher 'was the reason we need universal background checks'.
That's pretty rich, at a "no questions asked" gun buyback!