The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 1999, 10:39 AM   #1
shamster

Ok, it's time for my first long gun. I'm either gonna get a Bushmaster AR-15 "shorty" carbine, or a Scattergun 870 12 gauge. One day, I'll have both, but for now, can only afford one. They both cost roughly the same, and my intended purpose is just to have fun shooting them, with their availability as home defense weapons. Help???!!!??? Can't decide!!!
Old October 20, 1999, 11:33 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870s mo' versatile. Anything from moose to doves,clays to Practical competition.

Also, if used in HD w/o ear protection, you MIGHT have some hearing left with the shotgun. 223s are tres loud....
Old October 20, 1999, 11:59 AM   #3
Karanas

All things being equal, I would elect to get the shotgun first also.
However, depending on where you live and the current political attitude towards those nasty black rifles, you may want to consider getting the Bushmaster first if future availability is in question.
Old October 20, 1999, 06:49 PM   #4
Espresso

I like Karanas advice. Get the AR first and all the magazines you can purchase while you can. Instead of waiting to save to buy a Scattergun 870, think about a Remington 870 HD. These are about $270.00 in southern California. You can then build it up piece by piece with parts from Scatterguns/ Wilson or wait and sent it to them when you have the money. If you buy the Scattergun 870 first you may be sorry and not have the money yet if AR's are banned where you live. I live in the People's Republic of California. Fortunately for me a few years ago I forsaw what just happened here in California. I saved and bought several Colt AR's including a 9mm. Also bought a bunch of magazines. My friends kick themselves in the heads now for buying handguns and bolt guns instead. Now they don't have the money as the 11th hour approaches.
Old October 22, 1999, 02:18 PM   #5
max-ex

shamster:

We thinks alike. Have owned and extensively used both such guns I can assure you that both are a blast to play with. Decide where your priorities are. If you are strictly concerned with playing and like loud sounds then get the shorty. If though your main concern is HD then consider your family (if any) and or your neighbors (if any). Consider how deadly the .223 is and through how many doors, windows, ceilings, floors and walls it is able to travel and still kick a massive amount of human a--. The HD shotgun will inflict massive debilitating amounts of hurt on whatever you turn it on but will not generally penetrate beyond a door and wall unless you load with 00, which I do not suggest in a family setting. With my tricked out 870 I can eliminate a goblin in my bedroom or hallway and not harm my little boy on the other end of the same floor of my home. I can cut down on someone down stairs without the fear of finding my wife or child dead in their beds. The .223 would shoot through my entire home from any end or angle and I live in a big house.

The Bushmaster rocks......Colt? who are they?
Old October 22, 1999, 08:04 PM   #6
dZ

actually the low mass, small profile & spin of a .223 ar round causes less penetration then a 9mm or a .40. specially if you shoot hollow point.

number 1 buck shot not 00 is a recommended tactical HD load for a shotgun

dZ