The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Cost of components going down?

I just checked the prices at X-Treme bullets and the price per 500 of the .38 RNFP I use has gone down $13 from $56 to $43.

Is it too much to hope that component prices will be going down across the board?

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; October 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:37 AM   #2
mrawesome22

I've noticed this also.

Perhaps people aren't buying as much because they realize a republican is going to be in office?

Maybe China slowed on its demands for copper?

Cost of fuel went down by about 50 cents per gallon here in OH.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Doodlebugger45

It still seems to be the opposite around here in all the local stores. At least all the shelves are well stocked, but I have been noticing a continual escalation in the price of powder, brass and bullets. Primer prices seem to have stabilized but that's about it. The price of powder has climbed so much in the past 9 months that it only takes about 3 lbs ordered from Powder Valley to cover the cost of HazMat and shipping. I really do like to support my local dealers, but the cost differential is getting obscene lately.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I do not buy in bulk, and have not noticed any price redutions. Though prices have remained stable, so I will not complain. Though I would love to see a decrease in prices.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:28 AM   #5
zxcvbob

Me and 5 other guys just bought 42000 primers and 2 pounds of smokeless powder. The total including shipping was less than $1000. Most of the primers were $100 per case of 5k. And these were all American primers, no Russians.
Old October 21, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

Heh

Seems that zxcvbob and I are about reversed when it comes to primer #s vs. powder needs. I was just calculating some of my primer and powder needs. For 24 lbs of powder, I need about 3000 primers. Actually, I only need 2500 primers to light that much powder off.

Interesting thing I saw is for some odd reason at Powder Valley, the cost for Winchester LRM primers is $27 whereas the price for CCI LRM is $32. Interesting that the price is so different, they used to be about the same.
Old October 21, 2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

I use WSP which are selling around here for about $30 for 1000. It's been a while since I purchased primers as I've been out of the game for a while and am on my last 1000 from the last case and that price is not at all to my liking. I'm hoping they'll follow the bullet prices ASAP.

Old October 21, 2011, 12:30 PM   #8
A_Gamehog

Remember one thing

Next year is an election year, scare tactics and lies about gun bans are going to be rampant. There will be shortages again, as it was during the last election in 2008. Primers are now cheaper (Tula) than ever...
Old October 21, 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

Tula?

Old October 21, 2011, 02:45 PM   #10
A_Gamehog

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/22262

Primers from non usa sources are cheap!

Tula Russian made like Wolf.

5,000 primers 79.00$
Old October 22, 2011, 08:03 PM   #11
FIRERESCUEO2

I guess it's time to restock again. I've been waiting for the inflated prices to get more realistic. I should have stocked up a long, long time ago.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
FIRERESCUEO2

Any issues with Tula primers that you know of? For that price I may just have to try a few. I've mainly used Winchester and CCI over the years.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:47 PM   #13
zxcvbob

Quote:
Any issues with Tula primers that you know of? For that price I may just have to try a few.
My S&W revolver has trouble setting them off. (Yes, I made sure the strain screw is tight.) The old brass-colored Wolf primers were perfect. When they nickel-plated them, a lot of ppl had problems with them. I assumed that was just one lot of Wolf primers, and the Tula-branded ones would be OK. I assumed poorly.

If your gun has strong springs, they are great. I'll use all mine up in 9mm and 9x18 and maybe .380, so they won't go to waste. But I won't buy them again unless the supply of American primers dries up again.
Old October 22, 2011, 10:46 PM   #14
TXGunNut

I've noticed the prices stabilizing and seem almost reasonable. I've been building my inventory but mainly because I'm shooting more, everything except rimfire.
If you see me at Cabelas with a(nother) brick of .22's please remind me that I got some last trip, and the trip before that, and...
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.