Yes 61 39.61%
No 26 16.88%
No, But I am going to put one together soon 46 29.87%
No, and you are paranoid for having one at all 21 13.64%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 11, 2005, 10:05 PM   #51
joab

Hahnb
Have you and your buddy ever left the house or are you even old enough to be out after dark?

Why is it those with the least to add to a discussion always want to say it the loudest.

If you don't like what's being discussed here act like a big boy.
hike up your pull-ups and go play somewhere else
Old August 11, 2005, 10:18 PM   #52
Bob41081

I'd ditch the disposible poncho and get a G.I. one along with a liner. The trauma and space blanket will not really keep you warm. I'd change them out to the 10 to 15$ Sportsman blanket much more sturdy. Again they really won't keep you warm but will serve as ground sheet/tarp. the GI poncho/liner is probably good to 50°.How big is water bottle, you're going to need several liters/day esp in the Tx heat. Go to a backpacking store and get a collosible(sp?) canteen--Nalgene or Platypus and some purifying tabs, you might not have time to pump and need to purifiy on the run. I 'd keep the matches but add the Bic, several in fact. Also get some waterproof matches and match safe at the backpacking store along with some type of firestarter. Flares are great but will only work once-save for really bad weather. Once you are really using the BOB don't keep all you fire starting material in one place.
I don't remember if you listed a flashlight. Get a good LED one batteries will last much longer. I like Princeton Tec, Streamlight and Surefire(very expensive)Carry an extra set of batteries, Lithium preferred.Sometype of small radio to keep up with events. To get some ideas go to http://www.equipped.com/. Bladeforums.com and and Kniveforum.com both have survivalforums with tons of info.
Do you have a small fixed blade and a folder in the kit or do you carry on self or in vechicle. Small folding limb saw

It's a good start.

Bob
Old August 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #53
joab

Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.

Last edited by joab; August 14, 2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old August 12, 2005, 04:53 AM   #54
marshall2

don't forget your cell phone

In worst case scenarios, of course your cell phone won't work. However, if you are out on a hunting trip and have an accident, your cell phone will be your lifeline. Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what. However, that ain't the way it is. Also, I would suggest building a network of like-minded friends. In the worst case scenario, this would be truly invaluable. Church might be a good place to start.
Old August 12, 2005, 05:26 AM   #55
joab

Quote:
Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what.
More likely for the same reason no one has mentioned underwear yet, it's that much a part of everyday life that it hasn't been given a second thought.
Nowadays grabbing my cell just to go down to the store is as natural as grabbing my car keys
Old August 12, 2005, 08:20 AM   #56
butch50

Yes, unfortunately, my cell phone is always with me. There are some good ideas coming out of this thread.

I have enough packed water for one day. The water filter is a pretty neat little affair. It is a plastic bottle (Bottoms Up brand http://www.neatitems.com/Bottoms-Up.htm) that will filter up to 200 gallons of water. You fill it up and squeeze the bottle and the water comes out of a spout just like a regular sports drink bottle. You can clean up stagnant ditch water with this thing - so unless I get into a situation where there just isn't any water available anywhere, I am ok on water with minimal weight.

I have a swiss army poncho that I need to put in my truck with my bob, It is a bit bulky which is why it isn't in the bag. But if need be I could always tie it on top of the bag and carry it that way.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 12, 2005, 09:19 AM   #57
ethernectar

Quote:
Even WC Fields had an emergency that he wasn't prepared for, he said "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."

LOL... Although I haven't put a bug-out-bag together, mine would surely include some barter items. If the SHTF ya'll can come to my bar. (Trollers too... we're going to have to eat somebody...)
Old August 12, 2005, 09:50 AM   #58
Bravo25

No flames here,(well except for the little boys on the parents computer) this only an extremley educational thread. In that light I need to point out something here...

Quote:
Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I've used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.
When the SHTF, so will conventional thinking. You will ratchet up to survival mode, and not what normal everday life has been. Should you be forced to move north, or severe weather changes occur (there is discussion of events that could bring Chicago's climate down to Georgia) you may need warmer items. I have only warm items in my gear as I can modify them to cooler wearing but can't go the other way. I can cut off sleeves, but not make new ones to sew on. I can layer clothers, and sleep in a light weight bag if the temp drops, or slim down some if weather is warm. Think extremes. Buy only the best equipment, you are betting your life, and the life of loved ones on it. Don't get propane lanterns, get dual fuel. Have a hand crank pump to extract fuel from underground tanks.(This can be optional as there may be plenty of vehicles sitting around with fuel left in them), but you get the idea. etc...

You have to think in extremes that most people have never considered. And always, always remember the most important rule of survival. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!"

Unless you have spent years studying this stuff, get a good survival manual. Go to the web sites. Sit down with your family, determine needs, priorities, and develop a plan. Don't wait until you have enough to put it all together, start NOW. when you go to the store buy a copule extra cans of vegetables. Get an extra can of white gas, buy an extra bottle of water. I could write a complete book, but most people here are adult enough to figure this stuff out. It is just that we don't think of these things very often because we are no longer forced to. We have all the convieniences, and luxuries of modern living, and as the saying goes "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Bad part is the wheel is starting to squeak, please don't wait until it falls off. Because when the SHTF I would like to be able to catch up with guys on the other side.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 12, 2005, 10:03 AM   #59
HighValleyRanch

Cell phones are somewhat over rated.
I can't even get reception at my house, nor most places in the mountains around here.

But I still normally carry one because it works about 50% of the time.
Old August 12, 2005, 11:24 AM   #60
buzz_knox

You know, I think that this thread two revealing characteristics of trolls.

1. With their first post, they eliminate any hope of intelligent conversation with them . . . ever.

2. They say things over the net they wouldn't have the guts to say to your face.
Old August 12, 2005, 11:45 AM   #61
AlphaBravo

Edited for personal attack.

Denny
Old August 12, 2005, 11:58 AM   #62
buzz_knox

And here we have a prime example of characteristic 1.
Old August 12, 2005, 12:42 PM   #63
LaVere

Bug out Mini van

6" hunting knife
50 foot parashoot cord
1 mylar thermal blanket
matches
hammer
misc. repair tools
First aid Kit Johnson and johnson in a steel water proof case.
200-300 round of .40 SW and .45 ACP
ax
two heave knit sweaters
two nylon ponchoes
1 army entrenching tool
extra heavy knit socks
two knit stocking caps
leather work gloves
leather insulated mittens
1 big commercal dry chem fire exten.
and other as the season changes.
leather work boots
felt lined winter boots
3 cell mag light with extra batteries and bulbs
2 wool army blankets.
I have other thing in the house that may be needed and are ready to go.
such as colemen lantern multi fuel
coleman stones (2) a one burner and a two burner.
5 gallons on coleman gas in a suitable metal storage container.
2 12 volt to 120 vac inverters 400 watts.

well any way the list goes on some of the stuff is just good since in cold winter WX.

I think I'll look over your list and maybe add to mine
thanks
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

- Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha
Old August 12, 2005, 12:48 PM   #64
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Trolls have been put back under the bridge.

We will play nice here.

Denny
Old August 12, 2005, 01:34 PM   #65
mgdavis

If you search bug out bag or shtf at bladeforums.com you will find quite a few relevent threads.
Old August 12, 2005, 03:56 PM   #66
ADBF

As far as the trolls are concerned...They make fun of you for preparing for the possibility of problems, then when the "sh** hits the fan" they'll be right there asking you if you have any extra...fill in the blank.
Old August 12, 2005, 04:16 PM   #67
joab

Quote:
When the SHTF, so will conventional thinking. You will ratchet up to survival mode, and not what normal everday life has been.
My father, who spent some time as a Green Beret took me survival camping starting at about 8.
Everything I needed or was allowed to take was packed into a sleeping bag/bed roll and strung across my shoulder ala that Kung Fu guy
I've slept comfortably in 25 degree weather in this setup
So this naturally will be what I revert to when planning a survival bag.
Minimalism to the extreme.

To paraphrase Mel Gibson's Sergent Major.

If I need a warm coat to move up north, there'll be plenty laying around.

My SHTF scenario/beliefs have always centered around a believable natural disaster causing civil unrest and temporary societal dysfunction. If forced to leave my home I'm heading 10 miles into the forests around here. An extreme case would see me trying to make my way to the Glades

Last edited by joab; August 14, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old August 12, 2005, 04:20 PM   #68
joab

Quote:
We will play nice here.
But we did play nice, we just played hard.

I mean come on, trolls around here are like snowballs in Fla.
They're not gonna last long so you gotta have fun with them while they last.

I recognize the style from a short lived troll over at THR
Old August 12, 2005, 05:32 PM   #69
butch50

They did provide a certain entertainment value, I will kind of miss them. But, oh well.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 12, 2005, 06:20 PM   #70
Rangefinder

I probably won't miss them very much... My accuracy is pretty good.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 12, 2005, 08:28 PM   #71
3 weelin geezer

PM #19
Hahnb

LOL, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I bet half of you idiots don't even wear your seat belt when you drive, which has a thousand times greater chance of killing you than a terrorist attack or whatever the hell you're preparing for.

Even if there was a terrorst attack, how would any **** in that bag, or passwords help you at all? Unless you carry that back pack on your back 24 hours a day it's pretty much useless if it's in your car-unless terroists decided to attack your truck

The dollar bill ripped in half was even more hilarious. You people act like your all secret agents in another country and you do spy work. Get over it, you're a normal person-this isn't a james bond movie-sorry to tell you.
Hahnb is offline Report Bad Post

Marco!.....<waits for countersign>

Damn! I have been made! You guys use a dollar??? Damn, all this time I thought it was supposed to be a $100. I am going to have to E-raticate this guy with my lasertag phaser and then head for the nearest Pay-n-spray to get rid of the heat.

I AM a secret agent. I love secrets whether in this country or whatever country you claim to be from. I deal in secrets. Ya wanna hear one? I was dating your sister last night and she called me by her boyfriends name.

Ok, seriously now. I have just one fat blanket big enough for two , some 'OFF' , ammo for the shotgun, some toilet paper that comes in very useful on quad rides which last all day, um.....a couple of lighters,some firecrackers and a cheap stogie to light them with. And a 'club'. Sometimes I bring my dog too.
Old August 12, 2005, 08:50 PM   #72
claude783

Actually, I have torn up a dollar and my buddy carries half. In the event of an emergency, we can add the numbers from the dollar to a GPS co-ordinate which makes it impossible for someone to intercept our meeting place. This in the event that the jar/note book in the desert is still there!

Also, you can use a calculator to encrypt information...example

1234 X 16 = 1974
1974 X 16 = 31584
3158 X 16 = 50534
to encode the word cat:
C=3
A=1
T=20

1977, 3159, 5073
-1974, 3158, 5053
-----------------
3. 1, 20

So by using a preset code you can have some secure communication...plus a palm pilot can be sent via the mail with your information being somewhat secure...Paranoid, probably, but the gov't today is warning us about "gas" tankers blowing up on the freeways:
Old August 12, 2005, 09:12 PM   #73
tshadow6

bug out

When hurricane season approaches here in Fl, I start buying a little more of all the non-perishable staple items each week. Bottled water, canned goods etc. I keep all the vehicles fueled and top off my gas cans. In case of evacuation, my family comes with me to the secure facility I work at, or they go to the family farm with some supplies for two weeks. People can laugh if they want to but last year's hurricane season proved you have to be prepared. A weapon for self defense, enough food and water for a few weeks and reliable transportation.
Old August 13, 2005, 01:14 AM   #74
Sulaco2

Keep a bug out bag and GOOD boots in my unmarked car at work. Seattle comes crashing down I plan on a less than 2 day walk home. Next earth quake is a sure thing just a matter of when....
Old August 13, 2005, 12:13 PM   #75
GodofWar

Trolls will be a major concern when tshtf....they will be the first to try to kill you and steal your BoB...