The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 10, 2021, 08:45 AM   #26
adamBomb

Don't keep against your skin. That will contribute the most but humid salty air doesn't help anything. As far as what products to use, I did a test a few yrs back which I posted here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=573499

I actually did 3 different experiments with tons of stuff so check it out there. The short version, dont use turtle wax as someone suggested, its terrible. Eezox worked better than anything else I tried.
Old August 10, 2021, 09:18 AM   #27
jmhyer

I think the best advice for you, as given above, is to not keep it against your skin. It is likely that large amounts of perspiration dripped/seeped inside your magwell and remained unnoticed for a while.

Having a clothing barrier between you and your firearm will prevent that. Sure, moisture will still get on the surface but large droplets will not be allowed to seep inside. Then, removing the firearm from the holster, removing the magazine, and wiping things down with a lightly oiled cloth every now and then will remove the caustic sweat remnants and further help to prevent rust.
Old August 10, 2021, 10:56 AM   #28
MarkCO

I have a bunch of thin tank-tops I wear to keep something between my skin and guns. That is good advice from adamBomb and jmhyer
Old August 10, 2021, 04:25 PM   #29
bamaranger

easy

At the risk of sounding like a smart apple, .....if it gets sweaty......clean it.

If that means daily, so be it. I keep a coffee can with an oily cloth, a tooth brush and a soft bore brush and a small container of lube. At minimum I'll clear the pistol and do a wipe down and punch the bore. Obviously sweated, I'll field strip and pay more attention. A bit of lube on the brush will get into tiny places like grip screws, dovetails and slide serrations.
Old August 10, 2021, 08:03 PM   #30
Lima Oscar 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
At the risk of sounding like a smart apple, .....if it gets sweaty......clean it.

If that means daily, so be it. I keep a coffee can with an oily cloth, a tooth brush and a soft bore brush and a small container of lube. At minimum I'll clear the pistol and do a wipe down and punch the bore. Obviously sweated, I'll field strip and pay more attention. A bit of lube on the brush will get into tiny places like grip screws, dovetails and slide serrations.
Yep I wear a T-Shirt. I kept an oiled rag in a ziplock in the glove. Box and oil all around the house.

I wipe down after any hot day.
Old August 10, 2021, 11:14 PM   #31
Metric

Eezox.
Old August 11, 2021, 03:43 AM   #32
Carl the Floor Walker

A little spay will do ya. Hey, It great for the skin as well. And mixing a little Ballistol will certainly not kill the bank. Just spray and wipe each day. No big deal. I keep a bottle of Ballistol milk on top of my dresser. Use it all the time. When my hands get dry, just a little spray.
I live near the Ocean and use it for just about every thing. Keep some in the truck as well. I wipe down my carry each night and also the lite milk wipes down the leather holsters very well.

Works great in my Sonic Cleaner. The crud floats to the Top. Underneath is just pure white milk. I can use it many times.

[Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 11, 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old August 11, 2021, 03:39 PM   #33
lunger

[QUOTE]Lucas Oil Slick mist on the magazines. Once a month with a wipe down will do it. Slides, stainless, NiB or Cerakote.
/QUOTE]
Slick Mist is good stuff. Have used it on bikes and cars for years. Never thought of using it on firearms. Have to give it a try,
Old August 24, 2021, 12:15 PM   #34
jfruser

Back when I carried it a lot, my Kel-tec P-40 slide had the finish worn of and it would rust in a jiffy, even if oiled or waxed up. Eventually had it nickel-plated and that solved the rusting problem.
Old August 26, 2021, 05:25 PM   #35
unit 900

A holster with the aptly named 'sweat shield' is a great way to keep perspiration off the firearm. Many good recommendations above. Carry, wipe, repeat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sweat shield.jpeg (191.9 KB, 12 views)
Old August 26, 2021, 08:20 PM   #36
skywag

If you have a leather holster, soak it well with WD-40...................several times. It will no longer be a rust maker.