The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Lima Oscar 7

Steel shot availability:

Is anyone else noticing that 3” 12 Gauge Steel Shot is in short supply? I see plenty of 3-1/2” on hand. ‘Glad I kept one 3.5” as a just in case. One of the things that knocked a dent in the supply chain for us was Wal-Mart’s decision to get out of the firearms business in most markets. You could go into any Wal-Mart at 2:00 AM and get a decent box of Steel Shot. Now it seems like they will keep a little on hand but it’s snapped up quickly. Here is what I am seeing currently. Let me add, the intent of this is not to start a political discussion. That will accomplish nothing. My aim is to see how others are dealing with this or if I am the exception; not the rule. Thanks.

(12 Gauge Only)

Mack’s Prairie Wings - Some 3.5”, precious little 3”

Fort Thompson - Nothing

Rogers Sporting Goods - Spotty 3.5” and 3” imventory

Bass Pro - 3” and 3.5” in house but they have about 15% of what they had in stock this year

Mom and Pop Stores - Fairly well stocked
Old August 6, 2021, 11:06 AM   #2
Pahoo

Not good and the season will soon be here !!

I suspect we live in the same part of the country. I live in a waterfowl hunting area and around here, availability of Steel-shot is hard to find and when you do find some, it's expensive. You can find it but yo have to work for it !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 6, 2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Lima Oscar 7

i live in Arkansas. Macks is normally flush with steel shot by now.
Old August 18, 2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Lhigginsqrb

I’m only seeing 3.5 in northern Illinois area.

What’s of more concern to me is the lack of #6 for squirrel and rabbit. I’m adapting this season. Considering number 8 for very close shots. Using my reloader to swap the # 8 for #4, 5, or 6 on some loads. Then stealing the primers from some rounds to make long range rounds.
Old August 18, 2021, 12:54 PM   #5
FITASC

I suspect you will see more as hunting season gets closer
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2021, 01:04 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
I suspect you will see more as hunting season gets closer
Squirrel season started here on 8/15.

Winston Churchill
Old August 18, 2021, 06:54 PM   #7
FITASC

You need steel to hunt squirrel?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2021, 09:33 PM   #8
Lima Oscar 7

I sure hope not. It’s a terrible alternative for Ducks.
Old August 21, 2021, 02:36 AM   #9
Blindstitch

Last year before duck season I looked at what I had and decided to hit up Rogers and it was easier to buy cases so I have a few stashed. But in the Milwaukee area there's low stock on 3.5 goose loads but when people were trying to talk me out of a Mossberg 935 in 3.5 i'm sure they're eating their words but I'll borrow them some 3 inch shells.
Old August 21, 2021, 09:50 AM   #10
FITASC

Local Walmarts as of yesterday had dozens of federal 4 packs of steel, no lead shot at all in one store but plenty of steel
Old August 21, 2021, 08:38 PM   #11
Blindstitch

As FITASC says. I was at walmart today and lots of Federal 4 packs, a good shelve of Winchester 3 inch and 2 shelves of Winchester 3.5. The only lead was left over turkey ammo.
Old August 22, 2021, 09:39 PM   #12
Lhigginsqrb

I’m using lead not steel. I found a little so I’m good. It’s still scarce.

I was going to mention I have plenty of 3.5 like I said above for my o/u. But now I can’t find steel two and three-quarter for my dad. He’s got this old Pump and he won’t take anything else. I’m gonna have to do some maneuvering if I can’t find any soon.

Last edited by Lhigginsqrb; August 23, 2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old August 23, 2021, 11:14 PM   #13
Lima Oscar 7

Wal Mart steel shot is spotty in Arkansas, believe it or not. Larger towns have none. Whereas smaller towns have some ammo in general.