The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 18, 2021, 10:01 AM   #1
Hdonly

Loctite 380 Black Max for a revolver front sight?

I have been reading about using the Loctite 380 for gun sights. Is this a viable option over drilling and tapping holes?
Old July 18, 2021, 02:24 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

How about soldering it?
Old July 18, 2021, 04:46 PM   #3
Hdonly

Not saying I'm going to use it. I was just curious if it really works long term. I have my doubts about it. But I have also heard that new car makers are using glues on body panels as opposed to spot weld. Just curious if any here have used it.
Old July 18, 2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

It's said to work well for bonding shotgun ribs where you have a wide bonding area.

Personally I very much doubt that it will hold a pistol sight or a high power rifle sight due to the recoil and vibration.
If it would stand any chance for much use at all, it would have to be a front sight on a big ramp type base, similar to the large Ruger front sights.
Old July 19, 2021, 06:18 PM   #5
lll Otto lll

Resistance to recoil and vibration is obviously important but so is temperature. Barrels get hot and so can sights. For that reason I use Loctite 620 High Temp green.
Old July 20, 2021, 12:12 AM   #6
Scorch

I use Black Max on a lot of things, but I don't believe in gluing sights on. Drill and tap it, then put Black Max under the sight and screw it down.
Old July 20, 2021, 03:12 AM   #7
stinkeypete

Those industrial adhesives, when applied perfectly, are insanely strong.

We once took a couple of one inch thick ceramic bricks, and glued them with a one inch overlap. Each brick was meticulously cleaned with MEK, and the thickness of the glue was set by using thin adhesive dots.. so the glue was something like 0.003" thick.

Jumping on the bricks, we could get the ceramic to break, but never the bond. It was stronger than ceramic brick. We were making really big magnets.

While it works for shotgun ribs. There is only one way to find out. Check to see what the mfg's recommended thickness is, and use the activator spray.
Old July 20, 2021, 10:47 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I'd recomment buying another front sight. A spare. because, if that glue fails in the field, odds are you're probably not going to find the sight.

and, the way things too often work, by the time you do lose the sight, it'll probably be discontinued, so get your matching spare now, and avoid the rush!
Old July 21, 2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Jim Watson

When the plastic front sight kicked off my Kahr E9, they replaced it with another plastic sight staked and glued with Black Max. It has stayed put; but I would not trust glue alone to hold a sight.
Old July 22, 2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

On another forum a poster tried Black Max to bond a rifle type shotgun front sight ramp on a barrel.

It did not hold.
A pistol has more recoil and vibration so it's unlikely to hold long or at all.
The only sure and certain way to bond a pistol sight is a silver braze that melts above 1100 degrees.

To bond an old style blade type front sight to a barrel you have to machine a groove that the sight is a tight press fit into, then braze it.

Modern epoxy's and bonding agents can be amazing, but they need wide bonding areas for strength.
With most rifle and pistol sights you just don't have that and they won't work for long.