The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 24, 2021, 07:09 PM   #26
The Happy kaboomer

Here in the sunny south our deer season begins on August 15th. I hunt in shorts, tennis shoes and a tee shirt. Killed many good bucks that way. When it gets cold I wear most anything that keeps me warm.
Old June 24, 2021, 10:24 PM   #27
reynolds357

It's a well known fact that you can not kill a deer without at least $450 worth of camo. Can't kill a big deer without $600 worth.
Old June 25, 2021, 01:08 AM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy kaboomer View Post
Here in the sunny south our deer season begins on August 15th. I hunt in shorts, tennis shoes and a tee shirt. Killed many good bucks that way. When it gets cold I wear most anything that keeps me warm.
Archery season starts Oct 1 here in MS.
Old June 25, 2021, 01:43 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
I contracted chronic Lyme disease hunting down south and it has profoundly changed my life, something to think about it when choosing how you dress for crawling around in the woods.
Old June 25, 2021, 04:53 AM   #30
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I contracted chronic Lyme disease hunting down south and it has profoundly changed my life, something to think about it when choosing how you dress for crawling around in the woods.
I cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts in the South either. As I previous post above, I an OCD about Tick protection in my clothing. We have a friend that was once a beautiful young woman. Lyme disease destroyed her life. Now confined to a Wheel chair barely able to speak. Even with protection, two years ago, I came home from hunting on a Saturday and on Sunday had a tick in my neck. I went to the ER. The Doctor had to cut it out. Required stitches. She gave am a antibiotic and and a precipitation strictly for Lyme disease. She told me that it was smart to come to the ER as a tick Bite and Lyme disease has a very SHORT window for infection to occur.
So many People are so ignorant toward the disease. So many myths out there. Ticks for instance to not die off in the winter. Yes, not as active, but still there. Early March Turkey season is a good time to pick up a tick.
I do not understand many of the post here about adversity to modern day hunting clothes. Camo, tick Repellent, moister wicking, sent control, and just the plain fact that you can get WET.
I am in the woods almost year round. A health Bear population and snake population. None of which give me any major concern. THE DEER TICK SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME! I post this a a dire WARNING! Just like Situational awareness in important in safety, so is Protection against the TICK.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 25, 2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old June 25, 2021, 07:33 AM   #31
doofus47

If I'm chasing pronghorn where i'll be sitting in a 4 runner more than I'll be on foot, i'll wear half camo, but I usually wear at least surplus camo b/c those pants are cheap and durable.
For archery, I doll up a bit.
Old June 25, 2021, 09:52 AM   #32
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
If you choose the right colors, plaid makes good camo without the camo-image.
The red / black plaid was used to "break up your outline" for deer and the red to make you visible to other hunters. It's the same goal today, fabric technology has just improved since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
Where I live, blaze-orange is not required, so I don't wear it. If they can't see you, they can't hit you.
At least not on purpose. If solid blaze is not required, wear a blaze camo vest. While blaze is hi-viz for humans, deer see orange as a shade of green, so blaze camo isn't going to give you away.
Old June 25, 2021, 10:06 AM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
I cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts in the South either. As I previous post above, I an OCD about Tick protection in my clothing. We have a friend that was once a beautiful young woman. Lyme disease destroyed her life. Now confined to a Wheel chair barely able to speak. Even with protection, two years ago, I came home from hunting on a Saturday and on Sunday had a tick in my neck. I went to the ER. The Doctor had to cut it out. Required stitches. She gave am a antibiotic and and a precipitation strictly for Lyme disease. She told me that it was smart to come to the ER as a tick Bite and Lyme disease has a very SHORT window for infection to occur.
So many People are so ignorant toward the disease. So many myths out there. Ticks for instance to not die off in the winter. Yes, not as active, but still there. Early March Turkey season is a good time to pick up a tick.
I do not understand many of the post here about adversity to modern day hunting clothes. Camo, tick Repellent, moister wicking, sent control, and just the plain fact that you can get WET.
I am in the woods almost year round. A health Bear population and snake population. None of which give me any major concern. THE DEER TICK SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME! I post this a a dire WARNING! Just like Situational awareness in important in safety, so is Protection against the TICK.
I was once out in the woods and sat down and leaned up against a tree--might have been turkey hunting. When I got home I pulled 32 ticks off me.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:34 AM   #34
taylorce1

I wear a lot of Carhart and other such work clothes when I hunt. This last year however I purchased some Cabela's brand camo clothes to hunt in. It wasn't because it's camouflage, I bought it because it was a layering system for a late November deer hunt at 9000 ft. I don't think camo helps much with hunting, except predator and turkey hunting.

I spent about $600 maybe a little more on actually two sets of camo so I could swap out clothes as we were hiking 10-15 miles daily, and staying out all day living out of our packs. Lows were around freezing and highs were upper 60's so layering was important, and I knew the items I purchased worked together. In contrast I did the same hunt in 2014 and the low was -20 with a high of 0⁰, I used Carharts and hoodies and it PITA to stay warm, get the gear in and out of my pack, move because it was so bulky, and it was unnecessarily heavy. You can go to your favorite mountaineering store and buy the same stuff as the high end Kuiu, Sitka, and etc, it just probably will not be camouflage like you see on hunting clothes and it may or may not be cheaper.

I don't need my camo system to get on game, but it has been working to regulate my temperature better. This sure makes my hunting more enjoyable, and keeps me in the pursuit longer. Do you need expensive camo to sit in a elevated deer stand or box blind, not really unless it makes your time in each more comfortable.
Old August 15, 2021, 01:05 PM   #35
Lima Oscar 7

The only hunting I do anymore is Duck Hunting. I will wear plaid if it’s made up of Drab colors. Wool plaid works well on those cold Winter days.
Old August 16, 2021, 01:06 AM   #36
Geezerbiker

For deer hunting, I try to make sure I don't wear any blue or yellow. Deer are supposed to be red/green color blind but blues and yellows stand out to them. It's probably one of the reasons why I had poor results when wearing blue jeans when hunting...

Tony
Old August 18, 2021, 12:39 AM   #37
Lima Oscar 7

Be where your quarry wants to be.
Old August 20, 2021, 12:54 PM   #38
stinkeypete

When I was deer hunting, I would dress just like that, but with long underwear under it, insulated orange snow pants over, and a great huge orange parka and hood over it! My boots are two sizes too big, so I can but a pocket sized handwarmer in each pocket.

Nowadays, I enjoy pheasant hunting more. I got old.
Old August 22, 2021, 02:05 PM   #39
reinert

When I was a youngster who started hunting 60 years ago, about the only thing I had for any kind of cold weather hunting was made of cotton; long johns, sweat shirt, cotton coat, etc... and maybe a pair of wool socks in some cheap, sweat inducing rubber boots, along with those Jersey gloves (cotton) for the hands, and a RED stocking cap for the head (yup, pre-florescent orange years). Also, I had a RED, very lightweight, cotton smock that went over my not so warm hunting clothes at the time. It's what my folks could afford for my brothers and me whilst growing up. We were no ways near poor, but extra clothes for "hunting only" wasn't a reality, whatsoever. Being young back then, and being able to hunt, was enough inspiration to be out and be COLD if the weather said so. Fall was the time my bros and I lived for.

Now, geezze loueeze! What we have to wear in any kind of outdoors activity is pretty amazing. Footwear is unmatched these days, marino wool undies, different grades of fleece fabric, Gore Tex and whatever else new derivative of that material is now available for a garment. Personally these days, I use wool (really like the marino stuff), fleece, and Gore Tex for the footwear. I use it in layers however I need for the weather. And I DO NOW have clothes set away each year just for the hunting season. After all my years in the field, I've got a system that really works well for me, in any weather condition. Mountain hunting for elk will make me figure the best clothes situation I need for chasing those wily wapiti (weather can change in a hurry up in the High Lonesome). And while hunting with a rifle, I don't feel a camo outer garment is really needed. I have a great old wool shirt I wear almost all the time on the mountain while hunting. It's a plaid, red/gray patterned fabric that breaks up my image, and I believe in most situations, it's every bit as effective as any camo pattern. I also use a wool, Kromer style hat that's florescent orange (with a good aging color to it; not quite so florescent anymore).

Big game hunting to me is all about the wind, and seeing the game before it sees you; then it's the process of setting up the shot with the skills I've acquired through the years to get to the trigger time. And these days in the fall, my clothing is everything I surely wish I had when I was a kid...just didn't know it back then.
Old August 28, 2021, 09:31 PM   #40
The Happy kaboomer

Evening of 8-24-21 I killed a nice 8 pt in velvet. Wearing shorts, tee shirt and tennis shoes.
I don't have problem with ticks. It's the rattlers and moccasins that I worry about. If I have go look for one in the dark. I keep a pr of snake chaps in the truck for that.
Old November 29, 2021, 12:26 AM   #41
dvdcrr

Wranglers, short sleeve polo, Wolverine Ramparts, black Carhart hoodie. Camo hat.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old July 15, 2022, 06:10 AM   #42
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
For deer hunting, I try to make sure I don't wear any blue or yellow. Deer are supposed to be red/green color blind but blues and yellows stand out to them. It's probably one of the reasons why I had poor results when wearing blue jeans when hunting...

Tony
I've killed a lot of deer and I killed them all while wearing blue jeans and often enough a blue flannel shirt.
Old July 15, 2022, 03:10 PM   #43
Drm50

I don’t like the hi vis stuff. Use to go camouflage but really don’t need it. A plaid Woolrich shirt and blue jeans are mighty hard to see in autum woodlands. If it’s cold enough I need it even in snow just use my old Woolrich coat. If I ever loose my old thread bare Woolrich lucky shirt, I will truly run out of luck.
Old July 15, 2022, 06:13 PM   #44
old roper

We still have to wear fluorescent orange or pink and that include head covering here in Co for rifle/muzzleloader season.

I've guess they had some problems because camouflage orange or ping does not qualify.
NRA Life Member
Old July 15, 2022, 11:19 PM   #45
Sure Shot Mc Gee

In years past I wore what was State law. (red hat and hand-me-down red plaid jacket) These days I'm in vogue completely clothed in florescent camo orange head to waist & wearing heavy weight Woolworth pants w/ red suspenders for those windy cold November days.
I started hunting deer in 55 honestly I've never encountered anyone in the field or a hunters saloon wearing a florescent orange vest over a red plaid Pendleton. Then again I don't buy my clothes. My mrs does. Dandy spike in Pix shot just Right!
Old July 16, 2022, 03:27 PM   #46
GeauxTide

I tried Huntworth Disruption a couple years ago. Got a Parka, Jacket, and Pants. The Parka and Pants are for sitting and have been fantastic down to 15. I wear Jacket over wool underwear, shirt, and Duluth Lined Cargo Pants when I'm on the stalk.
Old July 21, 2022, 02:29 PM   #47
MGMorden

The guy in the first picture doesn't come off as "tacticool" to me - nothing about that looks military. It's just standard hunting stuff.

It's all in what you have in the closet. There is no flannel or Carhartt farming type clothing in my closet so unless I plan to hunt in my work polos or graphic t-shirts, I gotta buy something else. Might as well be hunting camo . Doesn't' mean its expensive. I usually wear a camo t-shirt often from Walmart that cost $10 or less, a $5 blaze orange hat and a pair of camo pants that likely cost between $25 and $35.
Old July 21, 2022, 05:04 PM   #48
dahermit

Quote:
At least not on purpose. If solid blaze is not required, wear a blaze camo vest. While blaze is hi-viz for humans, deer see orange as a shade of green, so blaze camo isn't going to give you away.
If you have access to an old photo light meter, you will see that Blaze Orange reflects a lot more light than standard colors. That is what gives you away... not the color itself but the greater amount of light. Movement and high light reflection of Blaze Orange (or your face if Caucasian), is what will give you away to deer.
Old July 22, 2022, 08:36 PM   #49
Crankylove

I hunt in a T-shirt/hoodie, denim jeans or some pants with cargo pockets, and my orange hat and vest (if required).

I own one camo jacket and long sleeve shirt (gifts from my wife), and no other fancy hunting gear.
Old July 22, 2022, 11:08 PM   #50
HiBC

Its all good. Do what makes YOU happy. One thing you can count on,I do not pick my hunting clothes by what someone else thinks of them.

There seems to be some disdain for the folks who buy the fancy gear.

Well....I don't have a horse or 4 wheeler and I go where a pickup won't go. OK,I'm fibbing a bit. I'm old for that now. Lets go back a few years. I'd travel by boots. I'd stay out for the week of hunting season between 8000 and 10,000 feet in Northern Colorado. Backpack,tent,down bag. White gas stove,

In whatever weather happened.

So,yes!! I'd have an outer shell camo gore tex parka,the quiet stuff from Cabelas. It works GREAT! Underarmor base layers and polypro? Depending on the year,I may have fleece vest or jacket,or puffy down . Depends. And I've used a GI field jacket or Arctic parka liner,. Its like ponhco liner material. You bet!! Cheap,light,and it does not get soggy.
My weird thing? The heavy wool German army battle pants. I cut them off just below the knees and added suspender buttons. Shorts!! But no weight below my knees.And they don't cake up snow. Under the shorts,but over my long johns,I wear black nylon track pants. Light,windproof,breathable fast drying,and they shed snow, I don't like wearing gaiters,but I might have some on me. A good wool or fleece cap or balclava. Figure you will wear it sleeping.

I like the wool fingerless gloves with rubber polka dots for grip. If I need them,I can put the Hot Hands handwarmer tea bags in the palms, I have GI arctic mittens I can wear over those.

I;m not real big on insulated boots, but I had some 200 gr Danner Pronghorns big enough for double merino wool sox. I don't like heavy ,clunky boots. They are hard on my knees.
A square of 1/4 in closed cell keeps the butt warm and dry. A wet butt is a problem.

Your hands,lips,etc will crack. A tin of Nivea is good. Carmex or chap stick. Sunglasses,

And you will need to hydrate.

I don't do technical mountaineering but the setting and the weather is similar.
Or,it can be sunny and 60's. The weather will be what it is. I've walked in on dry pine needles ,had all night snow squall,crashing thunder and snapping lightning and woke up to thigh high snow,opening morning.

I don't doubt y'all are using what works just fine where you are. Enjoy!!

My version of low buck unguided high country hunting requires something other than a hoody and wranglers. An InReach might be worth looking into.

Oh,you know when you get bad weather and the football game says "Signal Lost" Yeah. That happens with GPS signals,too. Along with white out. Can't see 50 yards. And,track and trails disappear with the snow. Nav skills are good.