The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 5, 2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Who Is Going to Join Me? 22LR Know Your Skills Challenge

Inviting all for some friendly challenge. If you think you know your skills you have 5 shots and 3 minutes to prove it.

You can download the target here 22LR Know Your Skills Challenge | Day At The Range

And also submit your targets. Much like the other challenges you will get your own dedicated page if you become a part of the challenge.

I just hope everyone's outing is much better than my first.
https://youtu.be/lucNL1QYJio

THE RULES:
Only 5 shots allowed one per circle

50 yard distance

3 minute time limit

Must break the black of the inner dark dot to score

No one piece rest

Any position or bench

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; June 5, 2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old June 5, 2021, 11:25 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Is the target supposed to be a link?

Are all 22 LR rifles allowed (bolt/lever/semi, etc.)?
Old June 5, 2021, 11:38 AM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

Yes sir Mal H any 22 just fun bragging rights. In the other challenge we have others from across the world participating so much fun.

Not sure why the link did not stick the first time I think it is corrected now.
Old June 5, 2021, 11:43 AM   #4
stagpanther

Make it all rimfire guns (17 hmr, 22wm etc)--handguns included--and I can join in--otherwise I'm out.
Old June 5, 2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Mr.RevolverGuy

Stag bring on the 22wmr
Old June 5, 2021, 01:15 PM   #6
MarkCO

Cool. Might have to try this.
Old June 5, 2021, 01:50 PM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag bring on the 22wmr
I only have that in a 1911--how about a 17 hmr--that I have in a rifle? At 50 yds I doubt it has an inherent advantage over the much wider range of match 22lr ammo available.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 5, 2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old June 5, 2021, 04:34 PM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Can we do multiple targets and pick the best one provided we stay within the rules? When referring to a one piece rest your meaning something similar to a lead sled?
Old June 5, 2021, 05:14 PM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

Shoot as many targets as you like. Since you get your own page with your entry you can submit all of them.

Yes Led Sleds not allowed.
Old June 5, 2021, 08:00 PM   #10
stagpanther

My VRX 17 I bought at Walmart for $129.00 topped by a $170 Bushnell 3 x 9 Engage. Surely you folks sporting the uber fancy anshutz gertuted CZ ich Der fancymax 22lr rifles can't be worried about this? Even the diameter of your bullet gives you an advantage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4932.jpg (146.0 KB, 692 views)
Old June 5, 2021, 11:43 PM   #11
Scorch

stagpanther, you probably know that 17 HMR is inherently more accurate than 22LR. Many rimfire competitions make the 17s compete in their own class. But since this is a competition basically against yourself, I don't see why not.
Old June 6, 2021, 03:14 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther, you probably know that 17 HMR is inherently more accurate than 22LR. Many rimfire competitions make the 17s compete in their own class. But since this is a competition basically against yourself, I don't see why not.
I'm not a rimfire guy and hardly ever shoot it--at the closer range of 50 yds do you think 17 hmr really has a decisive accuracy advantage? I kinda doubt it, but I'll submit targets just for the fun of it if revolver guy will accept them. BTW--I'd love to see the scoreboard--but haven't found the link to it--where is it?

Last edited by stagpanther; June 6, 2021 at 03:55 AM.
Old June 6, 2021, 08:32 AM   #13
stagpanther

In the spirit of "fairness," I've decided to add a 50 yd handicap and shoot at 100 yds. All that on top of a bottom-of-the-barrel rifle made while Marlin was busily going bankrupt. Even with the 3 x 9 scope I doubt I'll see the bulls in the top row.
Old June 6, 2021, 12:40 PM   #14
stagpanther

Well that was a fool's errand--at 100 yds even at 9x the targets are barely visible except maybe for the three largest ones--only the biggest one did I managed to hit.

I'm gonna need a bigger scope I think.
Old June 6, 2021, 04:36 PM   #15
stagpanther

So I went home and switched out scopes to a higher power 24x Nikon Black ffp scope. My honest opinion--high-quality scopecraft and a very finely tuned trigger are going to make THE difference with these targets. I still think the longer-range ballistic advantages of the 17 hmr make little difference at 50 yds. compared to the wider caliber of the 22LR.

I went back out and placed a couple of the targets at 54 yds. and here is the first one (there was something black behind the 10 circle, but the impact is there. The shot on the 13 point Just touches tangentially the target circle--but doesn't "enter" the target dot so I'm going to rule it it doesn't count):

I then shot about twenty cartridges into the next target just to familiarize myself with the "Feng shui" of the targets.

I don't know if it's cheating, but I'll make a few observations based on my afternoon (take em with a grain of salt since I'm neither a comp shooter or rimfire shooter) that might save you some ammo. I definitely would start with the biggest circles and use them to fine tune your zero while still earning points. Even with a high power scope, I couldn't make out most of the target bulls in the top two rows--so a reticle that has hashmark subtensions on both the horizontal and vertical axises is going to be a big help in "bracketing" the inside of the target circles. Putting a black crosshair on an almost invisible black dot is an exercise in frustration.

It is a bucketload of great fun--kudos to Mr Revolverguy for his creative enthusiasm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4936.jpg (217.1 KB, 651 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 6, 2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old June 6, 2021, 06:34 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

stagpanther - you need a target scoring gauge. Sometimes a shot that doesn't look like it's touching the ring actually is, and your #13 looks like a candidate for that.
Old June 6, 2021, 07:54 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Sometimes a shot that doesn't look like it's touching the ring actually is, and your #13 looks like a candidate for that.
It is touching it--but it isn't "breaking the surface" into the black dot. That counts in a comp? It shouldn't in my book. I need to shoot better.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 6, 2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old June 7, 2021, 04:05 PM   #18
GarandTd

I'll have to give this a try.
Old June 7, 2021, 05:50 PM   #19
stagpanther

Went out again today--this gets addictive fast! The biggest mistake I made today was only printing out a few targets--I'd advise printing at least 5, better yet 10 to take with you.

What Revolverguy did in his demo video makes sense, if you pile up 4 good shots in the bottom row it may be worth the risk to try one of the two top rows. I did have another "toucher" today, but upon close examination it does "break the skin" of the score dot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5060.jpg (200.0 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5065.jpg (235.7 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5061.jpg (209.3 KB, 582 views)
Old June 8, 2021, 01:58 PM   #20
GarandTd

Those are some small dots.
Old June 8, 2021, 02:31 PM   #21
ballardw

If the circle area were black and the dots white I might try this.
Otherwise I can't see anything with the iron sights I would want to try.
Old June 8, 2021, 07:19 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
Those are some small dots.
The 26 point target is the same width as a 17 hmr. That's why I think you'll need a reticle with subtensions in order to bracket within the outer circle. I'm going to see if I can even get the middle row done before I try any of the "microdots."

Quote:
If the circle area were black and the dots white I might try this
Like this? I inverted the colors and will send it to revolverguy if he accepts it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg know-your-skills-challenge-invedrted.jpg (116.0 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 8, 2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old June 9, 2021, 10:40 AM   #23
ballardw

Now I'll have to find a marked 50yd range.
Old June 9, 2021, 05:48 PM   #24
stagpanther

Went out again today for some more rim fire fun, my goal was to see if I could sweep the second row--much to my own amazement I got it on my second try.

However, I'm pretty sure I exceeded the time limit 3 minutes and I did not shoot at exactly 50 yds, so this one can't be submitted.

I figure the top row is all but impossible since I can't even see the dots, but what the heck, I'll see how many I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5078.jpg (137.0 KB, 515 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 9, 2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 10, 2021, 06:19 PM   #25
stagpanther

So today I went out and tried going just for the targets on the top row, thinking that I got lucky yesterday, maybe it would go well today too.

It didn't.

I tried no less than seven times, and most of the targets I couldn't hit any of the top row targets, this was my best result with only two hits:

This next target was my last and things just kept going from bad to worse. But something really weird/interesting happened. I was so miffed that I was missing by a wide margin with each shot I loaded another 5 cartridges before packing up, and without changing a thing sent off 5 quick shots at the middle row and basically swept them (except maybe the first one)--almost easily. The weird part is that I absolutely swear that I shot at the top row with the same concentration and hold that I did for the middle row, even though the reticle obscured the target dot I was pretty sure I still was centering it within the circle. Even without being able to see the dot itself--notice how the POI veered unpredictably from side to side and by a wide margin that is further out than anything in the middle row.

Here is where I step off into the twilight zone--I'm wondering if there is some kind of physiological/ eye object dominance thing that threw my visual processing off lacking the actual center dot to focus on? Way above my pay grade--maybe a lurker pro comp shooter can confirm (or simply tell me I've smoked too much whacky weed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5088.jpg (132.3 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5089.jpg (150.5 KB, 479 views)