The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 27, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1
M14MSgt

questions on Black powder issues

I am new to BP. I have a brass powder charge device with a graduated ruler that comes out the bottom and can be screw tightened at a set amount. It has a #10 on the first line, then a #2, #3, etc. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy in .44. I was told that approx. 23-25 grains of Pyrodex is the correct charge for each ball. The .454 sized balls are too large for the cylinder, so I went down to a .451 in .45 cal. How do I know when I have 23-25 grains of Pyrodex in the powder charge (flask)? Also, I assume you fill and load seat the balls with the cylinder in the gun? It doesn't seem like this will work as the ball sticks too far up for the cylinder to turn to allow the ramrod to depress the ball into the individual cylindrer chambers. Am I missing something here?
Old January 27, 2008, 01:10 AM   #2
gus3836

Your powder gauge should have 10 then small numbers then 20 then numbers then 30 etc. The 10 or 20 or 30 is grains the little numbers are dividing the the big numbers by 10 so 20 and 3 should equal 23 grains thats how mine works. Your ball should rotate enough under the barrel to seat with the ram rod you should shave a ring of lead off if you do not your balls are not big enough. the shaving of the lead creates a tight seal so you get better gas compression for more power if you do not shave lead the combustion will pass around the ball losing power and causing leading of the barrel as the gas burns the ball. Hope this helps Gus
Old January 27, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3
mykeal

Gus suggests that you and he have a volumetric measure that is graduated in single grain increments. I've never seen such a measure. If that's the case, then follow his advice.

However, if the distance between the bottom of the measure and the line marked with 10 is the same as the distance between the 10 line and the 2 line, and then the distance between the 2 line and the 3 line is also the same, etc. etc., then your measure is marked in 10 grain increments, which is more like what I'm used to.

As for measuring 23 or 25 grains with such a measure (10 grain increments), simply estimate one third or one half the distance between the 2 and 3 lines and set the measure there. One grain precision is neither necessary nor desirable, so estimating that amount is perfectly reasonable.

Yes, you can charge the chamber with the cylinder in the gun. Put the hammer in half cock, rotate the cylinder until the empty chamber is next to the barrel assembly, where the indentation is, set the ball into the chamber mouth and press it into place with finger pressure. It will be slightly less than half way into the chamber (the middle of the ball will be just a bit outside the chamber). Rotate the cylinder so that the ball is under the ram on the loading lever and lower the lever. As you lower it you should move the cylinder so that the ram is centered over the ball; the indentation in the ram will help you feel it when it's centered. Once you have it centered, use the lever to force the ball into the chamber; a moderate amount of force will be necessary. The ball should lose a thin ring of lead as it is press fit into the chamber. Force it down with firm, steady pressure until it stops, which is when it is seated on the powder charge. Give the lever a slight extra push to compress the powder and ensure the ball is seated.
Old January 27, 2008, 10:56 AM   #4
M14MSgt

mykeal, that is exactly the kind I have. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old January 29, 2008, 11:37 PM   #5
robhof

robhof

Also for the flask; use the powder measure to dump the powder in the spout of the flask then use a dowel to gauge the depth, mark and cut the spout to the mark and you have a flask that will dump relatively precise loads. You might want to cut a little long first, remeasure by dumping a load into your measure and grinding it down til it drops the correct load, as you can always shorten, but the only way to lengthen is to buy a new spout.
Old January 30, 2008, 04:35 AM   #6
Hawg

Just don't charge the chambers directly from the flask.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:17 PM   #7
long rider

I have this brass powder flask i came across a long
time ago in kansas,its a tall round cylinder at the top
it came with scew in spouts, 15 grn 20 grn 25 grn 30 grn
and 30 grn and they are bang on the mark to.
I have never seen them anywere else, i think i got
a good buy.

Sod Buster Tried To Pull On Willson.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:34 PM   #8
45Marlin carbine

get a .357 mag case, it's about 24 grs 3F BP. use it as a measure and get some 'wonderwad' felts to go atop powder then press .454 balls down firmly atop. that is a fairly 'hot' charge for your Pietta. enjoy shooting asnd don't forget to clean up after firing! I use windsheild washer fuid to wash with. does good.