The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2005, 02:13 PM   #1
do2g

Storage

Which is better for storage in a closet....a aluminum hard case with lock or a bag with a trigger lock? I have the silicon treated sock already. I won't be mailing it or traveling on an airline. Just simple and safe storage.

For a Remingtion 870 Express.

Last edited by do2g; December 26, 2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:57 PM   #2
mtnboomer

DO NOT STORE FIREARMS IN A HARD GUN CASE! This is a very good way of putting in a fine firearm and pulling out a rusted sewer pipe. I understand many people cannot afford a gun vault - I couldn't for many years. My suggestion would be to install the triggerlock [only if there is a possibility of curious fingers finding the gun or local/state laws require it] and store it, barrel down on a soft surface with the action uncocked in the silicon sock.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old December 28, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
do2g

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old December 29, 2005, 01:13 AM   #4
InSoMNiaX23

I second boomer. I found out the hard way (literally) that they need to be stored muzzle down or on their side. While I was away at school my only shotgun at the time stayed at home standing in the corner of a closet on its butt. Four years later, the weight of the gun compressed the recoil pad to the point of being a solid, inflexible, unforgiving chunk of rubber. It might as well have been made of wood. That is how I found out about the Limbsaver recoil pads which work very well, but that is another post. If you shoot your gun(s) as frequently as I do, I think a silicon sock is optional since they are cleaned on a regular basis but if they are going to sit untouched for a while, it is probably a good idea.
Old December 29, 2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Shootinskeet

Im new in the world of shotguns. I have a 12 gauge mossberg shotgun. I learned by reading that i now need to store it barrel down in the gun case. But what is a silicon sock and if your shooting about once a month do i still need to use the sock.

thanks
aaron
Old December 29, 2005, 02:42 AM   #6
6mm4me

Location: kansas city area at the present, but Colorado and Wyoming have been home. Lived 2 years in the middle east.
my thoughts

I don't store any gun in a case, hard or soft, holster or sock. I want air circulation around the gun to keep moisture away and evaporate any moisture that may come in contact with it. I think thats where those little pits come from you find at times, is storage moisture from cloth, leather and foam. I do store mine in the rack on their butt, but I make sure there is no pressure or torque on any parts that might cause a "set" from long storage.
Old December 29, 2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Bobshouse

A silicone sock is a lifesaver. Prevents scratches when moving guns around in the safe and knocks down the humidity before it reaches the steel. Get yourself a gun sock, put the gun in it, and store it barrel down, preferrably in a safe!

Bob
Old December 29, 2005, 08:31 PM   #8
Bobshouse

Wow..just found another great use for a gunsock. Hung one by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there...man it musta took him an hour to fill that puppy! These things are expando plus I tell ya!

Bob
Old December 30, 2005, 03:57 PM   #9
ron73644

You say you have the treated sock already........put it in the sock and you will have the best way to store it, from what I've been told.
Old December 30, 2005, 07:36 PM   #10
do2g

Thank you all for the great information. I will go with the trigger lock and sock.