The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Ledhead686

Ideal home defense/combat shotgun

I'm in need of a good, reliable, and affordable pump shotgun to complete my tactical collection. I'm looking at three specifically: Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Winchester Defender. Which of these would you buy for home defense and/or tactical use?

and btw -- I should have mentioned this in either my first or second post --

You people have a helluva board here. Nicely laid out, easy to get around, all the options (except avatars), covering all gun-related topics, well-informed members -- very impressive.
Old December 23, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
ron73644

500 or 870
Old December 23, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Pistolenschutze

I have a Defender (Win 1300) with a pistol grip and like it. It's a good weapon for the price.
Old December 23, 2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Ben Shepherd

You say "tactical"-If by this you mean accessorizing it, the the 870 is the way to go. If they make it for a shottie, they make it for an 870.

Also, not sure about the defenders construction, but as for the other 2:

Remington has a steel reciever with an aluminum trigger group housing, mossberg has an aluminum reciever with a plastic trigger group housing. If you want light weight then the mossy's the way to go. If you want slightly stronger, or are somewhat of a traditionalist, then the 870 is the better choice.

Here's how I work it: I shoot 870's. I use a lot of heavier loads, and am a die hard traditionalist.(My CCW is still a revolver).

The GF shoots a youth model mossy. She shoots 95% light tatget loads, and is on the small side, so weight and size are issues for her.

Would I use her mossy in a SHTF situation? WIthout hesitation.

Hope others here can weigh in on the winchester for you.

BTW: Mag extending is much easier on a remington than a mossberg.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 23, 2005, 06:29 PM   #5
XavierBreath

Mossberg, Remington and Winchester all three make good, proven, durable pump 12 gauges.
In my opinion, the Mossberg 500 has the controls laid out best.
The Winchester 1200/1300 feels best to me.
The Remington 870 is the only one with a steel reciever, if that is important to you.

I own four home defense shotguns, two Mossy's and two Winnies. I wrote a little blog piece on the subject that you might want to read.

If you play your cards right, you just might be able to get yourself into a combat shotgun for under $100. If you go nuts, you can spend a lot of money on plastic doo dads and curb feelers. Like any other weapon, the shotgun depends on you to employ it well. Instead of buying a bunch of stuff to stick all over your shotgun, I recommend training specific to the combat shotgun. It will be money much better spent.

Old December 23, 2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Take any of the shotguns mentioned so far. Shoot the bejeebers out of it. Repeat until it feels like a body part and you can operate it in the dark, 15 seconds out of a sound sleep, for you may need to.

Lots of good defensive shotguns out there in the real world, not so many good shotgunners.

Get the US made pump gun that feels best.
Old December 23, 2005, 09:54 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

Any of the above ....with the Remmy having the most aftermarket parts available.
Old December 25, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Mannlicher

Dave is right. If your investment in a HD shotgun is going to be meaningful, then you have to shoot, practice, shoot, practice, and shoot some more.
You would be surprised at the number of HD shotties, that are never fired.
The particular brand and style is nowhere near as important as building skill with what you decide to own.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 25, 2005, 12:40 PM   #9
LH2

Where can I find a listing of local HD shotgun courses?

I think it'd be great to have some formal training for HD using a shottie.
Old January 1, 2006, 01:39 AM   #10
Ledhead686

Maybe "tactical" wasn't quite the word I was looking for. I'm in the market for a no-frills, 18", 12-gauge pump for HD and target shooting/blasting. I don't need the neat-o, peachy-keen add-ons and all the rest of that crapola.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm gonna go with the Mossy. And Xavier -- very absorbing and informative blog you've got there. You should write a book.
Old January 1, 2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Lee Lapin

Take a look at http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_police.htm . It's a rebadged Winchester 1300 with most of the useful stuff on board right out of the box. It's too light for a steady diet of full house slugs and buckshot tho, plan on either shooting reduced recoil loads or adding some weight to the gun (or both). The one I'm working with right now was $229 on the web...

Your best bet is to shoot all three of the real contenders (Mossberg 590, Winchester 1300/FNPS and Remington 870) before you make up your mind, that way YOU can pick what's best for you based on EXPERIENCE. It would be difficult to go wrong with any of these three pumpguns but there are differences and you should choose the one you like best after handling all three.

lpl/nc