The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 28, 2018, 08:32 AM   #1
parhis

Most accurate .22lr revolver

I am looking for a .22 revolver that is accurate enough.
I like the looks and feel of a ruger single six, but heard stories about it’s WMR bore size and its effects on accuracy with .22 long rife.

What would be your choise for an accurate revolver?
Old September 28, 2018, 08:57 AM   #2
HighValleyRanch

smith & wesson K-22 or model 17
Old September 28, 2018, 08:57 AM   #3
BillM

Welcome to the forum.

Most accurate 22 revolver I have owned is my 1947 Smith and Wesson K-22
Masterpiece. I like it better than the newer 617's or Ruger single actions.
But I have a bit of a soft spot for older K frame S&W's--so my opinion may be
a bit biased.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
RKG

Ditto BillM, with an observation:

In terms of machine accuracy, you won't detect any difference between a 17 (6 or 8-3/8" barrel) and an 18 4" barrel). However, the longer sight radius may enhance shooter accuracy.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:11 AM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhis
What would be your choise for an accurate revolver?
My choice for most accurate .22LR revolver? Freedom Arms. Like the Single Six, it happens to be a single action revolver, as well.

My choice for an accurate revolver? Vintage S&W K-22 or more modern S&W 617.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

That's easy.

The most accurate 22 revolver I own is this Smith and Wesson K-22. It shipped in July of 1932. It was sent to the Providence Rhode Island Police Department. Roy Jinks (the official S&W historian) thinks it was used by the Providence pistol team. It was shipped back to the factory in June of 1946. Yes, the blue is worn on one side where somebody's finger rested a lot. And the Magna grips are incorrect. But it is the most accurate 22 revolver I own. Because the finish was in not so great shape, I got it for $500 a few years ago. A real steal.

A whole bunch of very accurate S&W 22 caliber revolvers.

Left to right, 22/32 Heavy Frame Target from 1923, another 22/32 Heavy Frame Target with Bekaert Grips from 1940, a K-22 Combat Masterpiece from 1953, the Providence 1932 K-22, a K-22 from 1935, a K-22 from 1950, a Model 17-3 from 1975.

A couple of very accurate Colt 22s. An Officer's Model Target from 1935 at the top, a Police Positive Target from 1936 at the bottom.

Old September 28, 2018, 09:46 AM   #7
parhis

What about Colt’s like New frontier or Trooper?
Old September 28, 2018, 09:58 AM   #8
mete

A K-22, 8" ,with my trigger job eliminated all challenge to take squirrels ! Too bad it wasn't my revolver
my revolver
Old September 28, 2018, 10:16 AM   #9
NoSecondBest

I own a couple of SW .22 revolvers. I like the fit and finish and trigger on them and think they appear to be a quality firearm. In fact, they are. Now, which is the most accurate? I owned (sold it a few years back) a Ruger Single Six with two cylinders. I used that gun to shoot silhouette with. That unmodified revolver allowed me to shoot an unbelieveable 77x80 at the IHMSA International shoot in 1991 and I did it without benefit of a spotter. Understand, that's a production gun not a custom gun. I also shot a couple of 57x60s with it. Neither of my SW revolvers would even come close to that level of accuracy. However, they are "accurate enough" for hunting and casual shooting. The Ruger shot both .22lr and .22WMR very accurately. The tolerances of both overlap depending on the barrel specs used and the ammo used. My final statement on this subject: buy which ever one you like best. I own/have owned both and like both.
Old September 28, 2018, 10:28 AM   #10
LineStretcher

I like the Ruger Vaquero. I doubt its match grade and it is a single action. You can fan through 6 rounds pretty fast which is a lot of fun and its accurate enough for most. I also have it's big brother, the Blackhawk 44 mag which is fun with 44 specials and cowboy ammo if you like old west style smoke. I did replace the front sights on both because I couldn't see them in bright sun.
Old September 28, 2018, 03:43 PM   #11
223 shooter

Quote:
I am looking for a .22 revolver that is accurate enough.
I like the looks and feel of a Ruger single six, but heard stories about it’s WMR bore size and its effects on accuracy with .22 long rife.

What would be your choice for an accurate revolver?
I have Single Six bought new in 1999 and consider it to be a fairly accurate revolver using 22lr. I have rarely used the 22 WMR cylinder. Will post a few targets that were fired way back when my eyesight was good. Shot from a standing position at 25yds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Single Six 25 yards.jpg (186.7 KB, 177 views)
Old September 28, 2018, 06:29 PM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I like the Ruger Vaquero. I doubt its match grade and it is a single action. You can fan through 6 rounds pretty fast which is a lot of fun and its accurate enough for most. I also have it's big brother, the Blackhawk 44 mag which is fun with 44 specials and cowboy ammo if you like old west style smoke. I did replace the front sights on both because I couldn't see them in bright sun.
The original poster was asking about 22 Long Rifle revolvers.

Vaqueros are all centerfire revolvers. None of them are chambered for 22 Long Rifle.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:10 PM   #13
tallball

My most accurate is my S&W K22 Masterpiece. A close second (probably only because the sights are a little smaller) is my Ruger Single Six. I've owned a bunch of others. Those are EASILY the two best.

On a good revolver day, I might outshoot my Buck Mark with one of them. Sadly enough, even though I'm a revolver guy, on most days the Buck Mark wins.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:29 PM   #14
TruthTellers

If it was a single action, I'd buy Ruger. If it was a double action, I'd buy a Taurus Tracker.

You titled the thread "most accurate" and in your post you said "accurate enough." The Taurus will be that and for less than a S&W.

I had the Tracker on a list years ago but took it off after I decided a .22 in a boat anchor doesn't work for my needs.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:23 PM   #15
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson View Post
The original poster was asking about 22 Long Rifle revolvers.

Vaqueros are all centerfire revolvers. None of them are chambered for 22 Long Rifle.
My bad.
Old September 29, 2018, 02:18 AM   #16
b.thomas

Both my Ruger Single Six and my Smith and Wesson 617 were both accurate.
With the Smith 617 being a bit better.
Once got a less then a inch group at 25 yards/bench rested!

* Wish I could be that good free hand!
Old September 29, 2018, 04:55 AM   #17
PzGren

Mechanical accuracy of any quality revolver is usually good enough to get two inches at 25 yards. With select ammo and if the gun is properly set up, i.e cylinder gap, all chambers aligned, and crown properly cut most revolvers can hold one inch at 25 yards.

When it comes to practical accuracy with iron sights, then sight radius, trigger characteristics and overtravel a well fitting grip and personal preference enter the equation. I prefer older guns to recent production and have a clear favourite among my rimfire revolvers.

My Korth can definitely hold the ten ring at 25 m.

The S&W Masterpiece from 1952 can do the same.

And the 1961 vintage Colt OMM has no probelm, either.

Old September 29, 2018, 05:54 AM   #18
parhis

Most accurate .22lr revolver

I allready have a s&w 686-1 witch is an outstanding shooter. Because of that, the 617 would be a easy choise for me.

But then again, i have a weak spot for single action revolvers like ruger ss or colt new frontier.

I have few handguns that are bullseye accurate (silenced ruger mkII, colt gcnm, cz TSO, 686 for example) and that line of accuracy i would like to continue..
Old September 29, 2018, 10:59 AM   #19
weblance

Don't discount the Ruger Single Six/Ten just because you read some "expert" say they aren't accurate because of the bore being slightly oversized for WMR. I have two single Sixes, and a Single Ten, and they will put every round into a 2" target at 25 yards. My Single Ten is the most accurate of my three, and also the most sensitive to different ammo types. It will "One Ragged Hole" all day long at 15 yards with its favorite ammo.

The older Smiths are beautiful, and exceptionally well made, and I agree they are probably the most accurate, but they also command a premium price. IMHO, most shooters wont be able to shoot any better with one of the Smiths, as opposed to the Ruger.
Old September 29, 2018, 02:55 PM   #20
laytonj1

You did not specify cost, so the most accurate revolver would be the Freedom Arms model 252. Mine would consistently shoot 25 yard groups I could cover with a dime.

Jim
Old September 29, 2018, 03:14 PM   #21
Ben Dover

I'm partial to the Colt Diamondback and the K-22.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 29, 2018, 05:08 PM   #22
smee78

I will agree with what has already been said, the most accurate single action would be a Freedom Arms model. For a double action the most accurate would likely be a Korth.
Now if your looking for a more realistic price a nice Smith 17 or 18 provides a quality revolver at a more realistic price for most.
Old September 29, 2018, 05:14 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

Not being smart - but my answer is it's the one that YOU practice with, lend how it shoots and is accurate for you. Some people feel the need for adjustable sights - others don't. Personally, I hate them. A good SA with fixed sights will shoot just as accurately as a fancy DA with adjustable sights if you leaarn how the gun shoots with specific ammo - but practice is the key.

Don't fall in to the trap that accuracy is associated with price - it isn't. I have a Rough Rider that is very accurate if I do MY job - I've read posts of fellows who squirrel hunt with a Rough Rider with theo long barrel and can knock the tree frats out of the top of a tree with no problems. I also have a vintage Ruger Super BearCat that soonest well - but only if I practice with it. I've had probably at least a half dozen 22 revolvers o er the55 years I have been shooting - kA but be shot well IF I PRACTICED with it. The one that didn't shoot well was an inexpensive cheaper H & R that I discovered had an offset bored barrel on it.

Get what you like and can afford and then work on learning how the gun shoots with a variety of ammo brands - then shoot it often - if you do your job, it will do its job. Good luck and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 29, 2018, 06:11 PM   #24
lunger

The "Most" accurate probably varies with individual revolvers . The older ones and high dollar ones mentioned are probably good candidates.

While maybe not the "most" some of the current production models are plenty accurate. Smith 617, Ruger GP100 ,Or any of the Ruger single actions are still nice shooters.

Though they do not have the workmanship of the ones pictured,they are very accurate if you do your part.
Old September 29, 2018, 06:16 PM   #25
AzShooter

My S&W 617. Here's a group with CCI SV.