The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Jacket67

Is Glock the best value...?

Hey TFL,

For a while now I've been set on buying the xd mod.2 sub compact. It feels great, and I've loved every xd variant I've shot. The promo that goes until the end of this month is also a big plus for the 4 free mags....however, I held a Glock 26 and it felt just as great in the hand, and the gen 4 models come with 3 mags any day of the week. Ive shot and loved the Glock 19 before as well. I know the xd is somewhat cheaper up front, and the promo with 4 free mags is fantastic, but as far as long-term ownership and usage, is the Glock going to save me more because of parts cost/availability vs the xd? I'm not looking to mod anything on it except a set of good sights. If I got the xd, nothing would be changed.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:47 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

Future resell, yes. Even when 3.0 and Gen5 come out, the older Glock will hold its value.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:51 PM   #3
CDR_Glock

For price, reliability and simplicity, yes.

I make a few minor modifications such as change my sights, get extended slide release and add a Connector. Changing the trigger is easy, too.

I don't like dealing with a Grip Safety.

The finish seems to be more durable on the Glock than the XD lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 12, 2017, 10:03 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

I don't think they're the best value my self.

It depends on what you pay.. if I go and just grab one off the shelf Im looking at 500 for a Glock.. How much of that is in the name? it sure ain't material cost.

I'd rather go with the XD.. that's not to say the Glock is a bad gun I've never owned one I've seen enough torture videos to give credit when credit is due.

I don't think you'd be wrong to pay 500 for a Glock, I'd just rather spend the money on other guns.

But unless you're planing on freezing your gun in a block of ice, and then run it over with a truck those tests are really more entertaining then anything.
I don't think the XD will let ya hanging.

But Im the guy who buys Taurus so what do I know :P
Old August 12, 2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Siggy-06

I'll say go for the XD Mod 2! I've held the sub compact model as well and it does feel excellent. XD's have been on the market for a while and there are plenty of after market parts available. My daily carry is an XDS 9, which I got with the same mag promo a few months ago. Springfield's warranty and customer service is good to go as well. I do have a Glock 23(I used to have 2 other models), but my XDS is whats carried the most lately. S&W M&P, Glocks, and Springfield XD's are all excellent choices in the poly world.
Old August 12, 2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Danoobie

IME, used Rugers are the best value, overall. YMMV.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:26 AM   #7
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket67:
For a while now I've been set on buying the xd mod.2 sub compact. It feels great, and I've loved every xd variant I've shot. The promo that goes until the end of this month is also a big plus for the 4 free mags...
It sounds like you've answered your own question here, I think the setup that works for your intended purpose is always the best value.
Old August 13, 2017, 04:56 AM   #8
loknload

To me they are and I only own two of them!
I like my Glock 27 which was my first entrance into the world of black plastic, and now my Glock 33 which was a gift from my son!
Old August 13, 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
saleen322

Depends on your intended use. Glocks are inexpensive and have the most accessories available for them. The XDs will shoot both jacketed and lead bullets where Glock states jacketed only--so ammo is more restrictive. It all comes down to what you want.
Old August 13, 2017, 07:29 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

When I was looking for my first polymer pistol, the XD/XDm line made the short list. Neither the XDs nor the Mod 2 had been introduced. The SR9c and the G19 also made the short list. They're all good guns and I'd like to own them all. However, here are the factors that tipped the scales in favor of the Glock, in no particular order
  • Resale -- If you hate your Glock, finding a new buyer shouldn't be hard. There's always somebody in the market for a used Glock.
  • Accessories -- When shopping for accessories and you push the "select your firearm" button, Glock is always on the list. If someone makes a widget, they make that widget for Glocks.
  • Price -- This one may not apply to you, because I get Blue Label pricing. That said, I think that Glocks were cheaper than XDs at the time, even without BL. From the looks of Gunbroker, that may not be the case any more.

I think the XD line, generally, are good guns. I've shot a few and got a few buddies that swear by them. But I bought Gretchen (my G19) about 4 years and 2,000 rounds ago, and I can tell you that she was a good choice for me. the G19 is hard to beat as a jack-of-all-trades gun. Whether it's the best value will depend, in part, on what you pay for it. Are you buying new or used?
Old August 13, 2017, 07:34 AM   #11
OhioGuy

I've shot plenty of both. I bought an XD Subcompact a year ago and it shoots great for me. I have occasionally had issues bumping the ambidextrous mag release with my support hand and dislodging the magazine--very rare but it worries me (it COULD happen under stress), and I'm considering grinding away part of that release button so it's only accessible from one side.

Personally I have never understood the great passion behind "pointing angle" with Glockaholics saying "it's natural!" and Glockophobes screaming "It sucks!" I've shot both. I align the sights and pull the trigger. Honestly I never even paid attention to it until I saw an internet fight happen

Best value? Hard to say. Right now Springfield's promo adds a ton of value in those free magazines, IF you need them.

The fiber optic front sight automatically adds probably $80 in value, and I personally find the Glock standard sights confusing to aim with (that "U-notch" is a little quirky to me).

Unclear on those who say they don't want to mess with a grip safety. You don't mess with it. You hold it like any other gun and it magically works.

One thing Glock does have a lot of is platform flexibility and TONS of aftermarket support.

I've wondered about the G26 and whether it's not a great all-around solution. It's very compact...barely .25" longer overall than the XD Subcompact, but almost a half-inch shorter on the grip which can conceal a little better under lighter clothing. Want more capacity than the standard 10-rounder? You can get magazines that hold anywhere from 12 to 30+ rounds that still work with it. You give up (I think?) 0.4" of barrel length over the G19 but gain the flexibility to conceal in more situations, and you can still use the G19 mags with or without the grip sleeve extensions.

You can use the 17 round mags with the XD Subcompact, but for me that's getting well outside the concealment zone. The G19 grip length would be the highest I'd try to conceal.

It all depends on what you want to achieve. IF you want something that's subcompact for concealment, I don't think you'll go wrong with either a G26 or an XD Subcompact. If you want G19 size, again you won't go wrong with either Springfield or Glock.

Just to confuse you further, Walther has a $100 rebate on almost all its guns through September. I have a PPS M2. If you find you like the simplicity of Glock, you should look at the PPQ or PPS line from Walther. They've basically out-Glocked Glock by shamelessly stealing the basic design, but with far better ergonomics and triggers. However, presently, there's nothing between the full-size PPQ (G19 size but with a longer grip) and the PPS (G43 size, single stack).

No matter what, you won't regret your decision. These are all guns known to function reliably for longer than we will function reliably, can all be customized if desired, and are all in wide use.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:01 AM   #12
O4L

I have never gotten into the xd world.

I started my polymer striker fired experience with Glocks and eventually switched to the M&P line. Besides the better ergonomics, for me they are a better value than the Glocks.

For about $100 less I can have a pistol that I like better. Win win.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:16 AM   #13
pat701

IMHO the Sig SP2022 is a best buy at the $400ish price it is right now.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:36 AM   #14
Brit

IMHO The Gen 4 Glock 19 is the best carry pistol in the World! TruGlow sights, extended slide/stop/release? Love the finish, non-slip. Flush fit butt plug.

The Mag release stuck into my second finger, sharp knife, slice, fixed.

Lots of Kydex holsters, at 3-30 pm. Straight up and down. Try B/4 you buy!

I see people talk about resale value? They sell guns?
Old August 13, 2017, 08:48 AM   #15
adamBomb

Better value as far as money? I doubt it if you just want sights.

Better value as in is it better for you? Do you like the grip safety of the XDs? If so, then XD would be the better value because glocks have no manual safety. If you don't care about the manual safety I think they are very similar guns. Glock has a bigger market but XDs are very popular.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:56 AM   #16
5whiskey

Value can be relative and subjective depending on preferences of the end user. If I wanted a polymer striker fired pistol, Glock probably would be a best value for me. Especially with blue label.

Alas, striker fired doesn't interest me. I have one striker pistol, a kahr cw9, and that will probably be the only one ever. Unless I sell it for a subcompact Glock
Old August 13, 2017, 09:13 AM   #17
Chui

No.

Right now the H&K VP9 is the best value. Find someone who has a great price on the LE model and you get three (3) magazines. H&K will send you four (4) more with a copy of your receipt. That makes night sights and seven magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2017, 09:15 AM   #18
Chui

Outside of the rebate if you add night sights to a Glock 19 and an Apex Extractor and Vickers controls (now it's the equal of the H&K) it will cost as much as a VP9 - actually more.

Also look at the CZ P10C for $499. Better ergos if a bit more snappy in recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2017, 09:17 AM   #19
Jacket67

I'm thinking of long term value in regards to parts and magazines. I have no intention of resale unless it just absolutely has to go, so that's not my concern. I'm just curious as to whether the affordability of magazines and spare parts, as well as aftermarket support in general, makes the Glock a better investment than the XD? I know both are reliable and shoot/conceal great. But I'm wondering if saving some money up front with the XD is worth the added cost of parts and such later on.

As of now, the XD platform is more comfortable to me simply because I've shot on it more. But I love the Glock platform as well. My biggest draw to the XD is the ambi mag release since I'm a lefty, but gen 4 Glocks can be swapped anyway. The grip safety is nice as well, but not a necessity in my book.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:22 AM   #20
presspics

M&P 2.0 is the best value and S&W also has a promotion where they give you 2 extra mags, 2 boxes of ammo and a mag loader.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:31 AM   #21
WVsig

You are asking a 100% subjective question as if we can give you a objective answer. I own a Glock 19. I have had 3-4 of them over the years. I get one keep it shoot it for a while realize I don't like it and sell it for what I have in it. I always buy them used for $350-$425 depending on configuration and sell them for the same.

For me personally they do not represent a good value because I do not like shooting them. They shoot fine. They are utilitarian and in a pinch would do just fine for me but I prefer other platforms.

NONE of that really applies to you. In the end you have to make the subjective choice on your own. One major thing to consider is that if you are going to really shoot whatever gun you purchase the initial cost of gun will pale in comparison to the cost of ammo.

For example 9mm is about $.18 a round. So if a Glock 19 costs you $475 OTD by the time you shoot 3,000 which is not a lot you have already spent more than the pistol. Mags are disposable wear items and the cost difference is negligible. As far as XD vs Glock in terms of support from the factory or aftermarket both are going to be strong and if I had to guess both will outlast your lifetime.

So in the end buy the one you want.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:33 AM   #22
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspics View Post
M&P 2.0 is the best value and S&W also has a promotion where they give you 2 extra mags, 2 boxes of ammo and a mag loader.
Springfield is giving you 4 mags, mag pouch and holster.

https://www.springfieldpromo.com

Seems like a push to me especially if you don't like the M&P which I don't: rolleyes: .

This is why threads like this are meaningless. There is no objective fact answer. Everything is subjective to the individual. Your criteria in not my criteria which is not the OPs criteria.

It ends up boiling down to which one do you like best....
Old August 13, 2017, 09:59 AM   #23
Nathan

Glock is a solid value. XD is a better value.

XD VS GLOCK
Price - XD - At $400-$450, XD is about $100 cheaper.
Sights - XD - XD comes with steel sights...FO on some models.

Grip - XD - Glock grip texture is ok on gen 3. Much improved on gen 4. Still, lots of people stipple for a reason. XD is ok on std XD, same to worse on xdm. XD Mod 2 is pretty darn grippy in the right places....so, slight edge to XD.

Grip Safety - XD - Glock has the USA that is really just a marketing gimmick for no manual safety. XD has a grip safety, plus drop and trigger safeties. It works well. Optional thumb safety on some models.

Reliability record - Glock - Glock has their gun in the hands of a lot of agencies with high round counts. They have a good record. XD's have fewer agencies with their gun. Record on both is excellent.

Mags - XD - XD has the best mags of any pistol. Glock has reliable, but disposable and expensive mags.

Width - Glock - XD is just a bit fatter, and this matters in a holster.

Aftermarket - Glock - Holsters, unnecessary hop up parts. Glock has more, but XD has all you need.

Just one persons opinion who has owned a couple of both. Glock 23 in my home defense lock box. XD45ts in my competition holster.
Old August 13, 2017, 10:56 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't think grip safeties add anything to a gun. I've read in LEO sites of folks under stress and in competition sites of folks screwing up the grip safeties.

I know some folks think they are gee-whiz but I don't see it.

The manual safety debate is endless. Boring by now.

One discussion of the issue: http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...dig-the-rig-11
Old August 13, 2017, 11:05 AM   #25
TruthTellers

If you look for used police trade in Glocks on gunbroker, you can find sellers offering prices as low as $360 for Gen 3 and 4 Glocks with night sights, 3 magazines, and for the Gen 4's all the backstraps.

Prices for the .40 and .45 Glocks are typically lower than 9mm Glocks, demand and supply. I'd buy the .40 Glocks and an aftermarket barrel and convert it to 9mm. You'd be spending the same amount doing that as just buying a 9mm Glock.

To me, it just seems more of a value getting a .40 because you can convert it to 9mm or .357 Sig.