The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 21, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
gedenke

Carbon Fiber Bedding....?

What are your opinions and/or experience with using carbon fiber for bedding? Also, what is (once again, opinion/experience) the best bedding method? Aluminum? Pillar? Fiberglass?

I'm kind of a newb, so please inform me.
Old August 22, 2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Scorch

Aluminum is very rigid and solid. Fiberglass fits very snugly, holding the action in one place so it does not move under recoil. Pillar bedding is all the rage right now. Any one of them, done properly, will provide excellent accuracy if your rifle is capable of delivering it.
Old August 22, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3
Slopemeno

S-glass is way cheaper, easier to find, and is about 80% as strong. Double up on the S-glass and save some money.
Old August 22, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4
LHB1

Fiberglass, aluminum, carbon fiber are possible materials to use in bedding a rifle. Pillar bedding is a method of bedding. I guess any of the material above could be used in a pillar bedded stock.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old August 22, 2007, 07:39 PM   #5
DWARREN123

I like to use pillars with Brownell's gel bedding. I think it gets the 2 major areas tthat need to be addressed.
Old August 22, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
gedenke

Ok, I'm not sure what S-glass is, but the reason I ask is that I have a friend (I know, I know, the "buddy" clause ) who has some carbon fiber that he would set me up with, and we all love free stuff. On a side note, he used to shoot competively and has about $10,000 into two rifles. He also is one of those "nothing but the absolute best" (and most expensive) types.
Old August 23, 2007, 10:19 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

The actual bedding material is epoxy, not fibreglass. The fibreglass is a filler. It's a whole lot less fuss to buy an Acraglas kit.
Old September 1, 2007, 10:58 PM   #8
jcadwell

S glass is a type of fiberglass, which is a high strength version of common E glass.
Old September 2, 2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Slopemeno

No reason not to use carbon or glass in bedding, as the resin doesnt have a lot of strength on its own. If you planned out your work, you could either go with chopped glass, or with cut cloth and tack it in place with some 3M77, wet it out, and so on.

Carbon is getting expensive these days since Airbus and Boeing seem intent on buying it all up. I'm heavy into the r/c slope soaring sailplane scene, and we've felt the pinch. Many guys who build ther own planes and can't afford carbon have gone to S-glass since its strong and reasonably priced.

If youre on the West Coast "Tap Plastics" is a great resource for entry-level composites. They also mail order if you dont have something nearby. ACP Composites also has it all.
Old September 2, 2007, 02:44 PM   #10
gedenke

Well, not to brag, but I don't have to worry about the availability or cost of the carbon. Like I said before, I have a buddy who has a bunch of it left over from when he bedded his guns. But, if it wasn't free, I'd most definately take your advice and go with something cheaper.
Old September 6, 2007, 06:23 PM   #11
tINY

Carbon fiber doesn't wet particularly well and is prone to delamination under stress.

For bedding, I'd go with an epoxy with steel frocking like the Devcon Plastic Steel.

I believe Brownells sells a stainless steel frocked epoxy too - if price is no object.....

-tINY

Old September 7, 2007, 11:05 AM   #12
gedenke

Price is definately an issue for me...(in other words, me poor boy! ), but thanks for the advice.
Old September 7, 2007, 03:54 PM   #13
tINY

It doesn't get much cheaper than Devcon Plastic Steel.

Use Play-Doh instead of modeling clay and Johnsons Paste floorwax for release....

-tINY

Old September 9, 2007, 10:15 AM   #14
croc4

JB weld!

I use JB weld for my bedding material, never had an issue it dries hard and strong, plus is it workable(sanding/carving) once it is dried if needed