The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 14, 2008, 07:57 PM   #26
cchardwick

Headstamp is M193
Old November 15, 2008, 03:27 AM   #27
JustDreadful

Quote:
This is the last time I'm ever going to buy any 'factory' ammo.
OK, now you're overreacting.

They should have disclosed the condition of the ammo, labeled it "seconds" or some such, as mentioned by other posters. I'd send back everything that looked at all suspect, and I'd expect AIM to pro-rate the initial shipping as well, and if they refused I'd start the dispute process with the credit card company.

This in no way justifies damning all factory ammo.

And if they want to sell that ammo for cheap, as is, I'll order some. I grew up in a gambling town.

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old November 15, 2008, 12:30 PM   #28
cchardwick

Yea, I think I did over react, especially after looking at the second case and noticing that almost all of them were OK. As was prevously posted, I believe that this ammo was actually the defects that were pulled from the production line. They should have stated something like this:

This ammo is not reloaded, not remanufactured, but factory REJECTS!

If I knew what I was buying up front and told to expect a 20% major defect rate, I would have chose (or not) to take the gamble. But buying this ammo expecting 'new' quality is very deceptive. There should be a law against that.
Old November 15, 2008, 04:27 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

I got 2 cases of this and shot it at local CMP shoots. No problems with it cycling or anything. My dents were not as bad as those pictured. I plan to continue to use it and I am not worried at all about it. More than accurate enough for a coyote or such.
Old November 15, 2008, 05:11 PM   #30
cchardwick

Since I did have one with a loose bullet I'd suggest checking each and every round to at least be sure the bullets are seated properly. A loose bullet sliding into the case is dangerous.
Old November 15, 2008, 06:55 PM   #31
Tom2

My glossy sales flyer from AIM shows a nice clear color picture of these same wonderful carts over flowing from a green ammo can, not a single scratch, dent or defect to be seen in any of them. Maybe they were all sorted and tossed into cans, and you were accidentally sold the can in which the sorters tossed the duds! AIM is not normally reputed to be sellers of crap, I have not had a problem with them in the distant past when I used them, they seemed pretty decent people to me. Maybe they got stuck too. Maybe they just don't have the time to inspect each can of ammo and might have gotten ripped by their supplier, leaving them with egg on the face. But I would expect them to rectify the situation to keep from being flamed on sites like this.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:36 PM   #32
MisterPX

M193 headstamp!?

I've never heard or seen of any ammo headstamped with teh bullet type.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:26 PM   #33
rogertc1

Don't think you can get anymore as they are sold out anyway.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:02 AM   #34
BillCoe

I bought that exact stuff (made in usa), it is stamped M193 on the brass bottom. I ordered 2000, and they came packed 504 rounds to a can - EXACTLY (I counted them on a calibrated counting scale), and I got 4 cans. Not a single round looked like yours. Unless they were on the bottom?
Old November 18, 2008, 12:59 PM   #35
wworker

AIM is usually a very good distributor selling quality products; however the ammo in the pictures shown is terrible.

I reload, so my quality far exceeds what you are showing because I check each round after loading.

Minor dings and dents can still be used. Some of those with the pinches and deformed necks are not usable. I would pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reuse the components, but scrap the brass, but I reload in my case.

Be patient with AIM as I'm sure they will make this right.

And thanks for the warning on the bad ammo.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:41 AM   #36
ryanl

Bought 1k of the same ammo. No rounds that looked like the ones pictured. Had good accuracy for nato stuff. AIM will take care of you if you are unhappy.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:42 AM   #37
ryanl

Bought 1k of the same ammo. No rounds that looked like the ones pictured. Had good accuracy for nato stuff. Typically ammo that is packed loose will sometimes have dents in the cases though. In any event, AIM will take care of you if you are unhappy.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:59 AM   #38
jwxspoon

FOr what it's worth, I have had several business dealings with AIM surplus and they were always straight up with me. I'm sure they will make it right.

jw
Old November 21, 2008, 09:38 AM   #39
ilbob

AIM is a good company. No one is perfect though. They will try to make it right.

The minor dents are not really an issue. I'd go through the pile and pull out the worst of them.

Sometimes bargains are not quite the bargain we thought they were.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:14 PM   #40
gyp_c2

yup...

...if you don't call the guy you bought it from first , before you jump on the errornet and talk all crazy, you're not giving him or you a fair shake...
It's bull**** to cry and wring your hands over silly **** like this without ever talking to the principals involved. I've shot winchester surplus that looked exactly like that stuff...If you shoot and shop long enough, you'll run into problems with different batches of ammo, guns, you-name-it...
Man-up, talk to the people involved and try to resolve it before you cry foul on the 'net...
If you don't have any luck, well, then take off the gloves and get after it...
I've never had any problems with Aim Surplus, in fact this is the first time I've ever heard of this particular anomaly.
You need to talk on the net the same way you would if you were face to face...if you don't, well shame on you...
Old December 5, 2008, 11:59 AM   #41
ttman

dam that's bad.
Old December 5, 2008, 10:53 PM   #42
cchardwick

Yea, I called Aim and they said I could pick out the bad rounds and send them back for a pro-rated refund, they were nice about it. But I decided just to keep them all, shoot em and reload them. Still waiting on my .223 suppressor, paid for it and sent in the paperwork and now it's just the waiting game. Actually since I started reloading I've been looking at all factory ammo, mainly in 44 mag because that's what I'm reloading at the moment. It's amazing how consistent boxed ammo is compared to the bulk ammo. And my reloads come out even better than the boxed factory ammo! No problem at all, I'm sure I'll have fun plinking with all 1000 rounds and reloading them all! There's probably a couple dozen cartridges that I won't be able to reuse because the necks are so badly damaged, but the rest should be fine.

Old December 10, 2008, 11:09 PM   #43
CARGUY2244

aim surplus

we've bought .223 .and 308 from aim. .223 cycles and shoots straight, the same stuff they call u.s. military contract surplus in the green ammo cans. the .308 has been a variety of european surplus, and has fed and shot perfect with 1 exception, a case that blew in the chamber (the bullet fired, but the case, rather than ejecting, blew halfway BACK into the magazine). 1 problem in 6000 rounds this year. also got nice 12 ga. nobel 00 buckshot.
several times they lost my order for a week, and i had to re-order - annoying and inconvenient.
good prices, good ammo, but i wouldn't want to be stuck with them as my only supplier.