The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2001, 09:34 PM   #1
Steve Smith

What to do with wife's shooting interests?

I brought my wife into shooting about 5 years ago, when we first met. Since then, I became an NRA pistol instructor, and got involved with IDPA. My wife kinda somewhat liked IDPA and shot some matches, but never got real enthused. She said she did it because it kept her close to me. (She's kinda clingy ). Eventually, she became an instructor, too, but on her own, because she wanted to, not because I was doing it. (I like that better)

Times change, and I got away from shooting IDPA, and started shooting NRA Highpower Rifle. I really like it and I plan to be shooting it for a long time. By this time, you're wondering where the "shotgun" part of the story comes in. Here goes:

Sometime in the last 4 years or so, my wife and I played with shotguns and clays kinda informally. She seemed somewhat naturally gifted. during our pistol courses, we have a "round robin" that allows students to shoot a lot of different guns, one being a shotgun. (Yes, there's an instructor at every station for safety and operational purposes) My wife always grabs the shotgun for "her" demo gun. Often (for a woman, anyway) she expresses how she likes shotguns and how she thinks shooting skeet or trap would be a lot of fun.

So, folks, what do I do? Highpower takes up a day every two or three weeks for me, and frankly, I have NO natural gift for hitting fast moving targets, nor do I have an affinity for shotguns, except the short barreled home defense type.

Help!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2001, 10:43 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, congrats on your wife, she's quite a woman.

Second, NOBODY has a "Natural" affinity for hiting small moving targets. We all learn by doing.

Third, short bbled HD shotguns are great for having fun at Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, and bird/small game hunting. And the more fun you have, the more proficient we get.

Suggestion, take your beloved around to some gun shops and let her pick out a shotgun. With a little training, she should do well and have a blast. Just be ready to have her shoot better than you(G)...
Old August 14, 2001, 12:14 PM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Practice, practice, practice! And practice together. It will be something you can learn together and be close to each other while doing.

Old August 14, 2001, 12:50 PM   #4
Steve Smith

Let me clarify...I'm asking how to jugle our different shooting interests.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2001, 02:02 PM   #5
nedfig

Have a few kids. Then neither one of you will have time to go shooting and you'll both be stuck at home

No. I'm not complaining!
Old August 14, 2001, 02:05 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'd stick the M-1 in the closet for a while and do shotguns, Steve. I'd swap my favorite gland for getting Wonderful Wife to the range and having fun.

Example, I love flyfishing, drifting a hometied Elk Caddis along a pretty brook is close to Heaven for me. But, it's a solitary sport, and since I spend a good part of the fall in the woods, I spend the rest of the year doing things with the family, including dunking cut bait for croakers and rock with the kids. IOW, my fly rods do not get much play these days...
Old August 14, 2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Steve Smith

Hmm...is there another solution? I'm not at all interested in clays myself, and I'm about chin deep in Highpower. I love it when we're on the range together (like at classes) but I just don't like the clay stuff.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2001, 05:34 PM   #8
K80Geoff

Check out the local Clays ranges and gun shops that cater to clays shooters. They will often have a used Remington 1100 20ga youth gun. These guns are perfect for getting ladies into the sport. Low recoil, light weight and ammo is always available cheap.

You can learn to shoot moving targets, it's fun!

I would suggest starting out shooting Skeet. Skeet tends to be more sociable, You and the missus will get to know other shooters and try different guns. Plus get loads of instruction form all the experts

It is way cheaper than marriage counseling and divorce

Geoff Ross
Old August 14, 2001, 11:29 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Woah! I hardly think that two people with as much in common as my wife and I have are looking at marriage counseling, much less divorce.

I'm hoping that I'll find maybe a women's league for her. After all, she's a "Highpower Widow" quite often, if she's interested, at least she could go shoot with "the girls," right? Or am I totally off base here?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2001, 12:14 AM   #10
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
she did it because it kept her close to me
She got into shooting to be close to you years ago. Why not make a small sacrafice and get into her type of shooting? You might like it more than you think and she could really use your support. Trust me.

Old August 15, 2001, 06:14 AM   #11
K80Geoff

I have never seen a Women only league in skeet or trap. The ladies always shoot with the men. Adds civility on the line, keeps us acting like gentlemen.

If your wife does start shooting in a league, better watch out. Some guido with a gold engraved Perazzi may steal her away from you Better learn to shoot with her to be safe!

Geoff Ross

(Just Kidding )
Old August 15, 2001, 12:35 PM   #12
Qbotu

Steve,

Are you a member of CSSA? There is a fairly active group of clay shooters (female) that would welcome your wife. They host regular events, too. Contact Aimee Rathburn at: [email protected]

Although high power doesn't exactly fit in this category, you might try getting involved in 3-gun activities. That gets her behind a rifle and you behind a shotgun. Interests may blend.

Good luck!
Old August 15, 2001, 08:23 PM   #13
Bam Bam

I suggest a nice autoloader that she can handle and that looks classy. Maybe a Beretta, Franchi, or Benelli. Trap and skeet can be shot with a 20 ga if a 12 ga is too heavy. Most clay shots can be done with a 20 ga, but there are long shots. She indulged you, so indulge her. Let her pick out something she feels is special and don't begrudge her.