The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2001, 09:42 AM   #1
redhawk44p

mod. 97 pump

Norinco is making a replica of the winchester 97 pump. I have always liked the look of this shotgun. Are these guns made by Norinco any good?
Old June 27, 2001, 10:57 PM   #2
Intel6

I asked the owner of a gun shop tha caters to lots of cowboy shooters and he said they are pretty good. They are a little rough but once they get broken in they work good and they are made solid.
Old June 28, 2001, 09:29 AM   #3
Jeff, CA

You can get the genuine article (albeit used) for not a lot more. Do a search on "Norinco" in this forum to get folks' reactions to buying Chinese-built guns (hint: they're not positive).

I just picked up my first '97. It's got 2 things the Chinese copy will never have:

1. Class, or history, or personality, as you prefer

2. It smells good, like antique metal and wood, like my grandmother's house

Old June 28, 2001, 10:48 AM   #4
redhawk44p

Since they acted like such a--holes with our plane I hate to buy anything from China but for the mod.97 I might make an exception.
Old June 28, 2001, 03:58 PM   #5
Nanaimo Barr

well, maybe I got lucky, but I picked up a 1906 win97 pump gun for $50.00.. yah it took 3 days to get it clean, but it is sweet and I prefer it to my 870. but I have heard such mixed reviews on the Chicom ones that I wouldn't trust any of them, anyone remember the problems the Nasis had with slave labour sabatoge in WWII??. first lots were good, later lots were "problematic" to say the least. how long till Chicom made '97's start blowing up in peoples hands?

NB
Old June 28, 2001, 06:18 PM   #6
taco

Just curious... how much of products made in China do you think is actually made with prison labor? Do you think Chinese government would be using prison labor to make guns? Perhapse we are being brainwashed by the news we hear on TV. Anybody here ever been to China and I don't mean to Bejing, Shanghi or other tourist cities but to northern or western China?
Old June 28, 2001, 07:15 PM   #7
redhawk44p

I hope winchester sees the chinese making money on the 97 and brings the old mod. 97 back. I will place an order now.