The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 31, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
snipecatcher

3 gun competitions and NFA

Is it legal to use a SBR in a 3 gun match? A silencer?
Regards,
-Dan
Old January 31, 2011, 01:23 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
snipecatcher Is it legal to use a SBR in a 3 gun match? A silencer?
As long as you hold the appropriate tax stamps ATF & the feds don't care. They have nothing to do with 3 gun games.
You'll needto check the rules of that competition to see if they permit NFA toys in their competition.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 31, 2011, 02:39 PM   #3
snipecatcher

Yeah, that's more what I was asking. I know it varies, but I was just wondering whether most groups that shoot 3 gun allow them in the competition. If anything, using a SBR would be a disadvantage. Right now, it's the only rifle I have that is suitable for that type of shooting. I'll ask one of the guys the next chance I get.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:15 AM   #4
rjrivero

If I can, I do. Some of the running rifle stages are better suited for a SBR, especially when they make small shooting ports and multiple shooting positions.

I prefer also to shoot with a silencer. It's just not civilized to shoot un-suppressed!
Old February 1, 2011, 02:26 AM   #5
David Hineline

I know SASS does not allow NFA, USPSA I have used NFA rifles but never anything but a local match.

IDPA does not understand that more than one gun exists.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
VUPDblue

I agree with the last two posters on this. Running an SBR in some rifle stages is an advantage and shooting suppressed certainly is the "civilized" thing to do I shoot my SBR mostly at local Steel Challenge matches, I shoot an AR in 9mm and it is a great competitive gun for that sport.
Old February 20, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
GarrettJ

Quote:
Is it legal to use a SBR in a 3 gun match? A silencer?
It really all depends on the rules of the game you are playing. I have used various NFA stuff at different pistol & rifle matches. Depending on the type of match and the setup, they can be an advantage, a disadvantage, or no difference.

A silencer acts like a really big muzzle brake, which is good. Some matches may treat this as a brake, and put you in the appropriate category. I want to say that there was a ruling in USPSA 3-gun that a suppressor does not necessarily count as a brake, so you could still shoot in Lim or Tactical where there are limits to the physical size of a brake.

I've used subguns in semi-auto with good results shooting pistol-caliber carbine matches.

Down-side to using a rifle-caliber SBR is your reduced muzzle velocity. You may have to shoot relatively heavy bullets to make a given power factor. Also, when shooting suppressed the timer may not pick up your shots.

You didn't ask about shooting suppressors on a pistol. I've done that a few times too. If anything, it's a disadvantage. The booster gives you a weird 2-stage feel to the recoil. It was really noticeable when shooting my USPSA race gun, and then the suppressed Glock.

Bottom line is that you can use whatever equipment the rules allow. Practice with whatever equipment you plan to shoot with. If you want to use some of your NFA stuff "just because", there's nothing wrong with that either. Just be safe and have fun.