The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Field

hornady camlock bullet puller

tell me if im wrong but this thing doesnt work for small 9mm pistol cartridges does it...
Old August 30, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
D. Manley

Mine does. What collet are you using?
Old August 30, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Works fine for me. Do you own one? Or are you questioning your own assumptions of how it is designed and operated?
Old August 31, 2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Jim243

Just pulled sixty 9mm in 20 min with mine.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:29 AM   #5
Field

well you put the thing in one of those lock n load bushings and you have your bullet in the shell holder on your press but it doesnt seem like the cartridge is long enough for this thing to work
Old August 31, 2009, 01:57 AM   #6
Field

umm do you need to buy the collet seperately? because mine didnt come with a collet. oh you need to get a collet for your specific caliber? no?
Old August 31, 2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Sevens

confession time!

Allright... let's hear it. What's the reason you've got to pull all these 9's?

HEY, I'm not immune. Yesterday I pulled about 60 rounds of .30 Carbine that I loaded last year... not because they were "bad" or unsafe, but simply because I had made too many of a too-light load. If it was just 9 or .38, I would have just popped them off... but the cost of the little 110 gr pills made it worth my while to pull them and re-use.

Confession time!
Old August 31, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Field

well it was my first time using this new fancy Hornady LnL AP press and i had loaded up about 100 cartridges maybe less and went to test them out to make sure they werent goofy but then i found out for some reason a number of them that i shot didnt have any powder charge in them so after getting a bullet stuck in my barrel, removing, shooting a bit more and then getting ANOTHER bullet stuck in my barrel i opted to NOT shoot the rest of them:barf:
Old August 31, 2009, 10:51 AM   #9
dsv424

First, you do have to purchase individual collets for the calibers you are pulling. Some collets are used for multiple bullets because the diameter is the same.
Also, you may be able to save from pulling them all by just weighing them and separating the light ones out. For instance, if you used 5 grains of powder all the empty ones should be 5 grains lighter.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

5 grains is within combined variance for a lot of commercial brass and bullets. I don't know that weighing won't fool him if he isn't careful.

Field,

Are you saying you've got the collet but can't get the bullet to reach it? Have you got it as far into the bushing as it can go?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 31, 2009, 11:44 AM   #11
dsv424

Ooops, didn't realize that Unclenick. Best to listen to Unclenick on any advise Field, he has helped me a bunch in the past..
Old August 31, 2009, 02:48 PM   #12
islander

Field, based on your posts, you really aren't prepared to reload. If you don't have the ability to focus on what you're doing, to the point that several cartridges "had no powder in them", plus you had several squibs, you are likely to just as easily double or triple charge and then you'll be in real trouble. Sorry but somebody had to say this to you. I'm new to reloading and haven't earned the privilege of experience, but you need to approach reloading with a lot more attention and foolproof methods. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers here....
Old September 1, 2009, 09:32 AM   #13
jal5

I have to agree with Islander on this one-
how did those mistakes happen?
You need to step back and look at all the aspects of your reloading setup and practices to make sure it doesn't happen again.

For me reloading has to be an exact procedure, and its a rewarding and enjoyable pastime in its own right. But that being said I don't try to do it if I am tired, distracted, and not spot on. It is too important to do it haphazardly.

Just my 2 cents.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:59 AM   #14
CrazyHorse89

Try the Hammer style puller

They Work great just take them outside and whack them on a small 4x4 board and they come right out.

Just be sure to get you the correct size shell holder and use it in place of the Universal one they give you. Works Perfect