The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 05:15 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Buying online

Found the Grabagun website, has some pretty good prices and cheap shipping costs. Read reviews on the site and they all seem to be by "paid" writers. A few bad stories found elsewhere on the web, and more good ones too. Would like to know if anyone here has bought from Grab-a-gun?
Thanks.
E
Old March 21, 2018, 05:22 PM   #2
TruthTellers

Bought a handgun from them a few yrs ago, no issues other than the shipping takes a long time. Over a week to get it.
Old March 21, 2018, 05:45 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I've heard great things about "grabagun" but that's been a decade ago.

Buy and write your own review.

Reviews are over-rated, we all know online reviews typically do not include any way to confirm the reviewer actually used that product and under what circumstances. When I post a review I leave my full name and email address. That should be a requirement for any review of any kind.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:03 PM   #4
E.J.W.

Thanks to both for your input.
I've been watching Gunbroker and the likes, but prices get too out of hand when others get bid crazy.
I switched to searching mfg sku numbers and Grab-a-gun came up.
I've used Bud's once before and experienced the same long ship wait which was OK as I'm usually not in a hurry.
Thanks again.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Capt Rick Hiott

When I buy on line,,,,I use "Buds Gun Shop"
Old March 21, 2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Kvon2

Gunbuyer.com and classic firearms have probably been my best experiences online. I've heard grabagun is okay, I just used buds for the first time and it was okay as well. Shipping took a little longer than anticipated but they do offer an affordable warranty which is nice.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Kimio

I will third Buds Gunshop. Bought at least two of my guns from them which was a great experience. Shipping fortunately wasn’t too bad when I was still in Utah.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:31 PM   #8
jugornot

Had good luck with Bud's, Grabagun, and Whitakers.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:38 PM   #9
Nathan

I have bought 3-4 guns off Grabagun. All have turned out perfect. I wish I could say how they handle things when something is messed up....but, I can't.

I did ask them to match a PSA special price once and they said no. It was just a request, and they were professional.

I like their format. Simple, cheap to ship and they ship quick. No mysterious pricing, up charges, etc. the price is the price. I like that. They also ship for a fixed price on guns.

Buds is ok, but the pricing is a mess. The shipping is slow. I think they wait 3 days, print a label, wait 3 more days and then ship. Shop today and buy tonight.....could cost you $20!
Old March 21, 2018, 07:44 PM   #10
JWT

Have used Buds and Impact with no problem. Have also used Gumbroker to find good used older model guns. Never any problems buying from sellers on GB.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:50 PM   #11
1stmar

Ive purchased from grabagun, good prices, cheap shipping and fast shipping. My first stop for purchasing online. Ive purchased from cdnn sports as well. Equally good experience.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:26 PM   #12
CLYA

Bud's worked fine for me. Shipped on the 3rd day, and delivered from Kentucky to the Mt. West in five days. Was stuck in the state of Kentucky, and only made it a few hundred miles, on day one due to bad weather.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:31 PM   #13
ranchito457

Grab a Gun has always come through for me but so has Buds guns, Kentucky Guns, Smoky mountain guns,CDNN,Impact Guns and Classic Firearms all good companies...
Old March 22, 2018, 10:07 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Bud's Gun Shop does a lot of business and has good prices. I do happen to know that, several years ago, Bud's was banned from a "gun" forum for persistently refusing to abide by the forum's rules regarding posting advertising in discussion areas. Consequently, I've decided that I would rather support a couple of small, local gun shops rather than deal with an Internet presence of dubious business ethic.

But that's just me.
Old March 22, 2018, 10:25 PM   #15
Stars n Stripes

I use Impact Guns frequently

Fast shipping, some of the best prices

Www.impactguns.com
Old March 23, 2018, 05:46 AM   #16
Targa

My Grabagun experience has been very good.
Old March 23, 2018, 11:08 AM   #17
KyJim

I've ordered from Bud's several times and have always been pleased. Just picked up a gun yesterday that I had ordered a week before. They are local to me but they have separate inventories (and sometimes prices) for online sales and local sales. They ship from a warehouse somewhere (maybe a distributor's) to the the local store.
Old March 23, 2018, 11:16 AM   #18
rpenmanparker

Grabagun has a lot going for it, but it is located in Texas. Me too. So I don't use it to avoid paying sales tax. It is frustrating since Grabagun often comes up at the top (cheapest, lowest shipping) of the gun.deals index of offers around the country. But I just move down to the cheapest, lowest shipping, no credit card upcharge offering in the list that is out of state. I find that usually produces the absolute best bottom line price available for that gun.
Old March 23, 2018, 11:18 AM   #19
rpenmanparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J.W. View Post
Thanks to both for your input.
I've been watching Gunbroker and the likes, but prices get too out of hand when others get bid crazy.
I switched to searching mfg sku numbers and Grab-a-gun came up.
I've used Bud's once before and experienced the same long ship wait which was OK as I'm usually not in a hurry.
Thanks again.
Also most sellers want to charge outrageously for shipping and upcharge for a credit card. And so many of the sellers are in Texas meaning I would have to pay tax. The only decent deal I ever made off Gun Broker was one where I called the seller directly and just made the deal on the phone.
Old March 23, 2018, 12:04 PM   #20
E.J.W.

Well... Tried to order my rifle from Buds yesterday.
Websites showed they have 5 in stock, but the "add to cart" button was missing. I called and was told when inventory gets low they reserve items for their "Buds Team" members as was the case on the 5 of the rifle I was trying to order. They want $29.99 to join the "team" (gets you advance notice on newly released items & store sales)
I declined to join as the extra $30 put Buds on par with my LGS and paying the state sales tax on it. I'd love to buy locally, but its the high sales tax that I don't want to pay. Might try Grab-a-gun later tonight.
Old March 23, 2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

I've bought from Grabagun a few times. Usually, I just go by their store and pick it up; but I had them ship to an FFL once too. Zero problems. Great prices every time. No wizbang customer service; but about what I expect at those prices.
Old March 25, 2018, 07:29 AM   #22
tennsooner

My luck with Buds was a lot like Nathan. Pretty good prices but shipping way too slow. I don't suggest trying to do a trade with Bud's either unless you are content to give it away. Expect a bit less than half of what the gun is selling for used and that s on high dollar guns I can just imagine if it was a 7 or 8 hundred dollar gun.
1800gunsandammo has some great prices and perks to you for buying but OMG on the shipping time of anything. If Buds or anyone else wake up and give shipping the priority that Midway does they would be a hit but so far I haven't found that place.
Old March 25, 2018, 08:45 AM   #23
lockedcj7

I've bought from Impact, Bud's, and Grab-a-gun. Shipping has been around a week to my FFL on all of them. I got exactly what I expected in each case, no complaints.
Old March 30, 2018, 08:24 AM   #24
E.J.W.

Update...

Grabagun did not have readily available the rifle I wanted, said it would be undetermined time till they had it. So I took a chance and went with Gunprodeals.com. I was a bit skeptical due to their "too good to be true prices" but all went well. Communication was average, product was available at almost $100 less than others, once paid for and FFL paperwork was received, rifle arrived in four days to my FFL.
So my overall grade would be an "A" only due to the slow (48hrs) to reply to emails.
Thanks and I appreciate all the input.
You can tell your Honey's that I said "you the men" and now it's in writing.
E.
Old March 30, 2018, 10:40 AM   #25
Nathan

Quote:
Grabagun....Read reviews on the site and they all seem to be by "paid" writers.
Thank you. I have reviewed my purchases on there!