The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Bumps stocks ??
I love them, I don't want anyone banning them, they're awesome. 8 4.79%
I don't like or dislike, but don't ban them, for the folks who enjoy them. 79 47.31%
I think they're worthless crap, and don' care if they're banned or not. 68 40.72%
They're a menace to society and should absolutely be banned. Now. 12 7.19%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28, 2018, 11:02 PM   #1
kymasabe

Bump Stocks...you thoughts? Worthless or you like them?

I'm hearing talk of some states possibly banning bump stocks. I've seen the price of them skyrocket on GunBroker.com.
I'm curious what most people think of them.
Personally, I think they're worthless pile of junk that are good for nothing but spray and pray waste of ammo but...others may think differently.

What say you all....and would you care if they were banned or not ??
Old February 28, 2018, 11:48 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

They’re a waste of time and money. Get a Geisselle or Hiperfire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old March 1, 2018, 01:03 AM   #3
ttarp

Just because I don't use them and think they're silly, doesn't mean I'm ok with them being taken away. Whats going to be next?
Old March 1, 2018, 01:15 AM   #4
TruthTellers

Pointless and waste of money, but if Anti's want them, they're gonna have to trade for them.

Suppressors for bump stocks? Okay, fair trade. Seeing as how you can make a bump stock in your garage for nothing, may as well trade them for something you'd have a tough time making in the garage without machine tools.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:08 AM   #5
Sevens

My buddy has one for his AR-15. I think that once you get the hang of it... it's amazing how quickly they'll burn ammo. To the point where the rifle gets cookin' hot. I'd never do it to any rifle that I cared about. I have also, always, for my entire shooting life HATED to waste ammo.

Someone else's rifle and ammo? It works and is also fun for a few minutes.

I have tried to imagine even completely ridiculous Hollywood-style over the top "all hell has broken loose" shooting/defensive scenarios and I -STILL- cannot imagine even one situation where it seems to my advantage to dump ammo full auto or simulated fake full auto.

Banning a Slide-Fire? God, if some psycho is going to do mayhem with an AR-15, I believe he puts himself at a disadvantage with a bump-fire stock.

If we wanna organize and ban something, let's ban crooked politicians.

Also, I think they should make mass murder illegal so psychos will stop doing it.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:43 AM   #6
kozak6

They seem a little silly and wasteful of ammo, but I don't want to see them go. I don't intend to buy one, but I'd like to try one.

Bump stocks are generally unsuitable for crime, and it's so easy to make one it isn't worth banning. It's fairly straightforward to bump fire without a device, and simple devices (other than belt loops) don't need to be any more complicated than a board with a dowel through it.

Most of the proposed bills to ban them are very poorly written. Most of them are so broad and vague that they could potentially restrict most moving parts in the gun. Other bills are so narrow they only apply to shoulder stocks, ignoring trigger guard mounted or sliding grip models. Washington's bill restricts parts that use recoil to produce a rapid succession of trigger functions, which is reasonably specific. I still don't like it.

I don't think we are in a position to trade.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:57 AM   #7
HiBC

Your questions totally miss the point. I would not choose any of them,and I refuse to be surveyed into a bogus data point that in no way represents me.

For my personal tastes,I would not purchase,accept,install,or use a bumpstock.

Every rifle I own has a barrel accurate enough to meet Townsend Welen's criteria of "interesting".
I'm not about to spoil the bore with some juvenile almost full auto dopamine thrill. Id rather watch a three hundred yard prairie dog come unglued with one precise shot.
I don't even put cheap communist steel cased ammo in my shopping cart,let alone my rifle.
I don't prep brass and buy match bullets to spew and make dust clouds.

I'm thinking at two or three or four hundred yards I can get hits quicker on an E-Silouhette target aiming and squeezing than you can spewing.

And Iam NOT jerry Miculek.

I would not miss bump stocks had they never been invented.

HOWEVER !!! The principle is like "I may disagree with what you have to say,bt I will defend to the death your right to say it."

A bump stock in my trash can does not dehumanize me by robbing me of the unalienable rights that ARE my humanity. The bump stock is not the issue. I rob you of Liberty if I impose my will upon you that YOU shall have no bump stock. The Liberty is the point. Utopias are imposed and devoid of liberty,except for those with power to coerce.Utopia is an oxymoronic idea.
I am still free to think you are an idiot with a bumpstock,but if you shoot at me with or without a bumpstock,I protest.

Last edited by HiBC; March 1, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:31 AM   #8
GeorgeandSugar

I wouldn’t own one, but like others have said they shouldn’t be banned. If products we buy and use improperly are banned. There wouldn’t be cars, trucks, gas cans, sling shots and a bunch of other items. Silly The price to live in a free society. I prefer liberty and freedom over security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 1, 2018, 09:48 AM   #9
zipspyder

I don't care at all about them. Don't want them to be bann'd but I will live if they end up doing it. I'm doing my best to write/email my local reps about it...

To put it bluntly another way, I'm not willing to die over your right to own an unnecessary accessory.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:08 AM   #10
K_Mac

Quote:
Banning a Slide-Fire? God, if some psycho is going to do mayhem with an AR-15, I believe he puts himself at a disadvantage with a bump-fire stock.

If we wanna organize and ban something, let's ban crooked politicians.

Also, I think they should make mass murder illegal so psychos will stop doing it.
That pretty well sums up my feelings on this.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Wyosmith

They are a good way to turn money into noise, but the federal government has no lawful authority to ban them.

2nd amendment, 9th amendment and 10th amendment, go read them!
The Bill of Right (Passed 1791)AMENDED the so-called supremacy clause, (Article 5 from 1789) so the government's argument if false. They know it too, But they are banking on the ignorance of the people to not know it.

I was an 0331 (M60 Machine Gunner) for some time in the USMC and later became a combat tactics instructor, so I know something about automatic fire.

Any auto-firing weapon thatis not belt fed is not only not an advantage in a fight, it's a sever disadvantage.

Talking guns (working with 2 or more other Marines or Soldiers,--- hopefully a lot more) is the only time full auto fire is of any value in a fight with magazine fed weapons, and then only for short periods of time.
1. For rushes
and 2. For breaking contact.

In ALL other cases aimed semi-auto fire is far better. And if you have 6 men or more on your team, semi-auto fire is better for rushes and breaking contact too.

When you are alone, full auto fire does 2 things.
Eats up your ammo and
Reveals your position.
If you are alone you can not afford to do either one of these 2 things.

Bump stocks on ARs are not as useful as full auto M-16s, and full auto is used by Marines in combat maybe 3% of the time, and those times will ALWAYS be when you are working as a team.

Full auto with an M16 is not very useful past about 75 yards unless you can get into a solidly braced position, and M16s are at least stiff, whereas bump stocks cause the front of the weapon to "jiggle" so it's far less accurate then the regular M16.

But I see them like firecrackers. They may be fun for some and if you do no harm to anything or anyone with them, you have a RIGHT to them.

Properly
prescribed drugs cause the death of more people than guns.

In fact “medical errors” is the #3 cause of death in the USA.

Cars kill a lot more people then guns by a LOT.
So do falls...buy a LOT
And so does AIDS

And the one I think is a bit relieving...so does Diarrhea!

The outlawing of Bump Stocks is just another step to destroy the Bill of Rights. It has no basis in truth at all. It's just a way to convince people that the Feds can take control of anything they want and eat away at the freedoms we have delineated in the Bill of Rights, and to seduce people into thinking the Fed is the boss despite the FACT that the Bill of Right says it's not and can't ever be.

That's why they have had such a long train of abuses against it.

They want to be God, and that's how all governments act sooner or later.
Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, Webster, and Madison all told us this would happen and that it was going to be up to the PEOPLE to control their government, because if they don't their government will take control over the people.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:42 AM   #12
ttarp

^Well said.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:50 AM   #13
Pahoo

Practically worthless. ...

The only thing they provide, is a fun-factor. I'd rather use that money, on ammo. Other than that, I really have no feelings or time, for them.

While we are on this subject, I see many items that are just toys for those who have a high testosterone level. I will always support AR-types but not "certain" accessories. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2018, 11:54 AM   #14
RickB

There should be a poll choice of "I think they're worthless crap, and if gun control advocates will think banning them is a big win for them and they'll subsequently shut up for a while", I'd give them up.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:00 PM   #15
OzeanJaeger

We used to hip-fire Mak90s with our thumbs in our belt loops, and you could definitely fire faster than you could pull the trigger. It probably cycles just as fast if not faster than a "bumpstock", but either way, and even with binary triggers, you are slapping and not squeezing. It throws your aim way off even from the shoulder.

This is an educated guess, but I would say an auto sere allows suppression fire to be at least twice as accurate and probably more. To me a bump-stock is in the classified section on the last few pages of Soldier of Fortune. It's dime-store crap for kids screwing with their first rifles.

That said, you can probably make one on a 3D printer in 5 minutes. Banning them will, again, do nothing but prevent responsible and law abiding people from owning one. It is a "solution" that solves nothing except advancing the agenda of those who wish to disarm the American people.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:35 PM   #16
COSteve

I guess there's a thrill firing a 'machine gun' for the first time. I got my kicks in the Army and once I made Tank Commander, I had my own M2 50cal to play with in addition to my M16. However, after you've done it a bunch, you realize that a full auto weapon's sole purpose is to provide 'area coverage'. Translated that means it's a bullet hose that just eats up a ton of ammo and $$.

In a era where as responsible shooters, we are legally responsible for each bullet's flight path and ultimate stopping point, it's a more dangerous, more costly, and less useful tool except to play with. So, I just don't think that the bumpstock is an item that should be available to the general public without restrictions. Making it a class 2 firearm doesn't hurt my head at all.
Old March 1, 2018, 01:05 PM   #17
TrueBlue711

I think I'm the first one to respond to this thread that actually owns one (on my AK, not my AR). Even so, everybody so far is pretty much right. It is a waste of ammo and does nothing in the accuracy realm. I would never use it in any serious situation. But out of all my firearms, shooting this puts the biggest smile on my face. It's just flat out fun. Everybody wants to try it out when I go on group shoots, and they get the same giant smile after shooting it.

Even though I own one, I won't be that sad if it was outlawed. But I do not think it should be outlawed for the same reasons already stated. Plus, if you think "thowing the anti-gunners a bone" will shut them up for awhile...think again. They'll see an opening, try to keep up the momentum of a victory and apply even more pressure on additional gun laws.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:03 PM   #18
rpseraph

I don't give a single crap about bump stocks... and I honestly, in theory, couldn't care less whether they are banned or not... But I do recognize the slippery slope that lies with "rate increasing devices". A trigger, a different weight buffer, a red-dot sight, anything that allows you to stay on target and deliver rounds quicker...
Old March 1, 2018, 06:17 PM   #19
Targa

I dont like shooting around people that I dont know as it is and try to avoid it like the plague, add a bumpstock to the mix....yeh, well, thats putting a bunch of faith in those people to handle it and not act like a moron.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:54 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

I don't own one, nor would I buy one. Would rather not see them banned however. Slippery slope my friends.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:27 PM   #21
Pahoo

Being private and protective.

Quote:
Slippery slope my friends.
Very true and whenever I read post and their replies, I have to remind us all that there are the "Antis" reading these and use this information for their agenda. I was raised in the rough part of town and got my degree in the military. I'm close to being paranoid but I'd rather call it being private and protective. In short, we really need to watch what we think and say. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2018, 08:33 PM   #22
Guv

Get rid of em.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:34 PM   #23
10-96

I don't care to ever have a bump stock, but I hate to see anybody go after them either. After all, they still haven't banned evil crock pots and pressure cookers yet. Those were considered stooopedly evil too not too many years ago.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:35 PM   #24
RAfiringline

I did plenty of full auto fire in the MC in VN.

Once a week I go to the range with my AR and shoot offhand at a paper target at 100 feet. Then I count my hits within a 6" circle.

I couldn't care less about full auto, and the guns most civilians buy don't have materials and QC designed for full auto stresses.

Last edited by RAfiringline; March 1, 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old March 2, 2018, 06:56 AM   #25
Road_Clam

I'm all about your freedom your choice, BUT those full-auto gimmick bump stocks in the hands of irresponsible range clowns were destine to bring negative heat upon us right from the beginning, and the did just that.