The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2018, 02:43 PM   #1
frolic1

Dry fire Ruger 22LR revolver?

I’ve had a couple of Ruger MK III and MK IV’s which could be dry fired without issues. I’m looking at a Ruger LCRx 22LR and I’ve seen several You Tube videos where they were dry fired. Does dry fire cause any problems with Ruger revolvers chambered in 22LR?
Old August 29, 2018, 02:54 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Any 22 rimfire should be fired with snap caps, without them the firing pin strikes the edge of the chamber, it will peen. I have used commercial snaps, some have made their own with fired brass, fill them putty or grout, that will simulate primer in the rim.
Old August 29, 2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Blindstitch

As a general the answer is no but Ruger has several guns that they say are safe to dryfire so I suggest you try to download the manual of that gun or contact them.
Old August 29, 2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Blindstitch

The ruger manual says:

DRY FIRING
“Dry Firing” is pulling the trigger of an unloaded revolver for practice and
familiarity. The LCR® can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin or internal components.
Be sure that the revolver is unloaded before handling.
Be sure of your target or back stop, even when dry firing for practice.

The manual can be found here. https://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
Old August 29, 2018, 03:43 PM   #5
briandg

Frolic, Look up, download, and read manuals for all of the guns that you own, print them out if you can for the future. someday you will want that information, and if you keep it in a folder on the shelf you have it there in front of you. Some day you may want to strip the thing, forget how to do it, and spend far too much time trying to do it.
Old August 29, 2018, 09:00 PM   #6
tallball

It's not worth the risk. Buy a package of 22 snap caps for a few dollars and be safe.
Old August 29, 2018, 10:26 PM   #7
rclark

Or just go shoot live rounds down range. Much more satisfying than dry firing.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Salmoneye

I know that manuals say that you can dry fire Ruger rimfires, but I have also seen damage done by doing so...

Long thread on one of the Ruger boards a while back complete with pictures...
Old August 30, 2018, 10:43 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I know that manuals say that you can dry fire Ruger rimfires, but I have also seen damage done by doing so...
Not doubting your word, but you could at least give us some kind of hint of what you are talking about. Is there a particular Ruger rimfire REVOLVER that you have seen damaged from dry firing???

I have a New Model Super Single Six convertible, and I just checked the printed manual, which states that dry firing will not harm the firing pin or any other components of the gun. I've had the gun since the early 1980s, and so far, no damage from dry firing or live firing, period.

I won't promise other guns are the same, call Ruger and ask them. Or read their manual. If Ruger says its ok, and you do it, and damage happens, call Ruger. Ruger will fix.

Its that simple, really.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:58 AM   #10
cjwils

If you want to use snap caps, you can find sheet rock anchors at the hardware store that will fit in a .22 revolver cylinder very nicely. I cannot remember the exact size to get, but they are cheap.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:59 AM   #11
CajunBass

You really don't need to ask Ruger. They've already answered the question. Just read the manual. Ruger designed it, they made it. They literally wrote the book on it. They're the ones who will have to stand behind it if they're wrong.

Having said that I've never found anything much more boring than dry firing. Paint drying might be ahead, but not by much.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 30, 2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Ben Dover

Don't waste money on snap caps.They aren't needed.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old August 30, 2018, 02:03 PM   #13
mkl

The issue with dry firing .22 rim fires is that the firing pin will impact the STEEL outside rim of the chamber and over time will flatten the firing pin or striker to the point that it will not ignite a rim fire cartridge.

Some gun manufactures have included in the design a method to prevent the firing pin from impacting on the chamber face. This is why they say dry firing is safe. I have no personal knowledge one way or the other if this is true.

Were I to plan on many dry firing many snaps with a double action pistol or revolver, I'd put a fired .22 case in all chambers to prevent steel on steel contact [firing pin on chamber rim]. If you simply want to release the pressure on the firing pin spring after cleaning, I don't see a problem with pulling the trigger once to relieve the pressure on the spring, e.g. one snap before the firearm is stored. I've done this for over 50 years with many .22 rifles and handguns after cleaning and have never had a problem.
Old August 30, 2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Salmoneye

Quote:
Not doubting your word, but you could at least give us some kind of hint of what you are talking about. Is there a particular Ruger rimfire REVOLVER that you have seen damaged from dry firing???
Sorry about that...

Yes it was a revolver, and darned if I can find the pics...

I'll keep looking...

ADDING:

Found the thread...

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-...ry-firing.html

Apparently this was a GP100 in .22LR...

Ruger fixed the guy up (as usual), but there was indeed damage to the cylinder...

Last edited by Salmoneye; August 30, 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old September 11, 2018, 03:23 PM   #15
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR View Post
Any 22 rimfire should be fired with snap caps, without them the firing pin strikes the edge of the chamber, it will peen. I have used commercial snaps, some have made their own with fired brass, fill them putty or grout, that will simulate primer in the rim.
If the firing pin strikes the edge of the cylinder there is something wrong with your gun. I have two LCR 22 mag rimfire and neither one allows the firing pin to come in contact with the cylinder.
Old September 11, 2018, 04:09 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If the firing pin strikes the edge of the cylinder there is something wrong with your gun.
Not necessarily. It could just be the way it was designed. Many older .22s were never made with any kind of mechanical stop to prevent the firing pin from hitting the chamber when there is no ammo or snap cap in place.

Partly this was done to help ensure reliable ignition, partly because the designers expected anyone who DID do dry-fire practice to use snap caps or fired cases to prevent steel on steel contact. The occasional empty snap to decock the gun for storage, or snapping on an empty chamber because you are out of ammo and didn't realize it was not considered to be a significant threat of damage.

SO, its entirely possible that the gun was simply made that way, and so using a snap cap or substitute is just good practice.

If the maker says its ok to dry fire without snap caps, then fine. Otherwise, assume its not, and use them. Even if not really needed, why risk it?
Old September 11, 2018, 04:24 PM   #17
Roamin_Wade

I've never seen a gun that was not working because someone had dry-fired it. Have you? I'm sure that it used to be a real problem but just like engines aren't made where the valves can hit the piston if you lose your timing belt, guns aren't made where they break from such a thing.
Old September 11, 2018, 06:51 PM   #18
NAW

The ruger mark 3 22lr pistols have firing pin stops built into the bolt. Its a pin that keeps the firing pin from contacting the barrel. Im assuming the mark 4 and lcr have the same thing.
Old September 11, 2018, 06:58 PM   #19
lunger

Ruger says it is ok in the Gp100. I dry fired mine a couple o dozen times and was seeing marks on the cylinder holes. Here is a post on the Ruger forum (not mine) showing damage.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...p?f=3&t=253790

I would not chance it .