The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 21, 2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Dano4734

Do they still make a 41 mag

In the seventies they we wonderful. My brother had one . Loved shooting that. Instead I bought a Dirty Harry model 29. My daughter has that one now
Old August 21, 2018, 09:22 PM   #2
gunhappy

Ruger
Old August 21, 2018, 09:27 PM   #3
reddog81

Smith & Wesson model 57 appears to be available at a couple of online vendors.
Old August 21, 2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Buckeye!

Charter Arms has a 5 shot 2.5 inch barreled revolver in 41 Mag .. I think they weigh 24oz
Old August 22, 2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Oldman11

I have a sw model 57 that will be the next to the last gun I get rid of. The other gun I keep is a sw k.32 masterpiece.
Old August 22, 2018, 01:55 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

If 'they' is Smith, Taurus, Charter Arms or Ruger, at least, yes, 'they' do.
Old August 22, 2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Charlie98

There are a few rifles out there, too... the Henry (currently made,) and the Marlin 1894FG.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 22, 2018, 07:02 PM   #8
gwpercle

Ammunition can be hard to find. When Lyman dropped all the 41 cal bullet moulds from their line up and told me they had no plans to make any more. I started buying the old ones I didn't have off Ebay, ordered the ones Lee carried and got a few NOE moulds.
I had been reloading for a model 58 since 1972 and had a set of Herter's dies , but spotted a Bonanza Co-Ax set on Ebay that not one person bid on... I bid $6.99 for a set worth $60.00 , they were brand new and had never been out the box.

If you have a 41 magnum reloading for it can make it a very versatile round , cast bullets from 195 grains to 240 grains and the jacketed bullets from 200 to 220 gives you quite a bit to work with.
I've been working with a NOE wadcutter mould # 413-215-WC(PB) 413432 , which is showing a lot of accuracy potential...and that full wadcutter profile is a hard hitter and cuts clean holes. The design is based on Lyman's 358432 wadcutter , it's a winner.
Gary
Old August 22, 2018, 07:17 PM   #9
krunchnik

I will one day own a Henry in .41 Mag-just to keep my Redhawk company.
Old August 22, 2018, 07:52 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

41 MAG

My S&W 57 was purchased around 30 years ago and came finished in Armoloy which looks like a brushed nickel finish.

Had a trigger job done and this is the smoothest shooting wheel gun I own.

As a reloader, ammo is not an issue.

In the past I would cutdown 41 mag brass 1/10th inch and make up 41 Special loads. Sweet to shoot like the 44spl is to the 44 mag. I believe 41 spcl brass can be purchased.

Many hogs have fallen to the 41 mag and I prefer it to my 44 mag.
Old August 22, 2018, 09:49 PM   #11
Charlie98

Quote:
Had a trigger job done and this is the smoothest shooting wheel gun I own
My late '70's 4" 57 has the best trigger in the herd... no work necessary! Love that pistol!

Old August 22, 2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Arizona Fusilier

My S&W 57 is the oldest...and best... revolver I own.

Gotta admit ammo is hard to come by, but I will eventually get set up for reloading. Somewhat obscure, but underrated cartridge.
Old August 23, 2018, 06:23 AM   #13
CajunBass

I bought a Model 57 (no dash), with a 4" barrel not too long ago. It came in a presentation case, and is the prettiest S&W I've ever seen, much less owned.

But it was made in 1973. I don't have any particular interest in the cartridge, I bought it because it looked so nice, but I did buy brass, bullets, dies and such, and have loaded up some light end loads. I have shot it a few times, but I doubt I will very often.

But I know S&W does still make a "Classic M-57." I've seen them at my LGS.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 23, 2018, 08:15 AM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
But I know S&W does still make a "Classic M-57." I've seen them at my LGS.
With or without lock?
Old August 23, 2018, 01:29 PM   #15
CajunBass

Oh, they have the lock. Not a big deal to me, but I know some don't care for them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 24, 2018, 08:58 AM   #16
Charlie98

My favorite .41 combo.... my Dan Wesson 741 and my Marlin 1894FG...

Old August 26, 2018, 11:10 AM   #17
RC20

I regret I can't see iron sights good enough to shoot to my satisfaction, otherwise the 41 mag would see regular use.

I had a 44, saw the 41 back in the 70s and bought it, sold the 44. Spent a lot of hours in gravel pits target shooting.

I aced a Practical Police Course they were using N Frame 357 with wadcutters on. Shot like a 22. The range guy wanted to know where I learned to shoot (ummm gravel pits, I don't think he believed me) - same identical gun other than caliber and the sights were spot on for my eyes. I made the top 4 out of the whole Police officer group let alone the rest of the guys and gals shooting. I also was working as a laborer and my arms were more like steel rods (not so much anymore!)

It got stolen, I had the rose grips that came on it on another gun and my brother replaced it as a thank you for work done for him.

I hope to pass it onto family or an acquaintance that it would mean as much to them as myself. I don't want to sell it, its got to much of me tied up in it.

I reload so ammo is not an issue.
Old August 27, 2018, 02:51 AM   #18
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Ammunition can be hard to find. When Lyman dropped all the 41 cal bullet moulds from their line up and told me they had no plans to make any more. I started buying the old ones I didn't have off Ebay, ordered the ones Lee carried and got a few NOE moulds.
I had been reloading for a model 58 since 1972 and had a set of Herter's dies , but spotted a Bonanza Co-Ax set on Ebay that not one person bid on... I bid $6.99 for a set worth $60.00 , they were brand new and had never been out the box.

If you have a 41 magnum reloading for it can make it a very versatile round , cast bullets from 195 grains to 240 grains and the jacketed bullets from 200 to 220 gives you quite a bit to work with.
I've been working with a NOE wadcutter mould # 413-215-WC(PB) 413432 , which is showing a lot of accuracy potential...and that full wadcutter profile is a hard hitter and cuts clean holes. The design is based on Lyman's 358432 wadcutter , it's a winner.
Gary
I started the 41 mold collection awhile ago though I haven't used all of them. 161 gr wad cutter, 175 gr swc on the lighter side were also available.
Don't forget the the 170 gr Sierra jacketed HP
Old August 27, 2018, 11:54 AM   #19
Charlie98

This came up on another forum, too... so I'll post basically my same reply...

Ammos for the .41 aren't hard to come by. No, you probably won't find it at WalMart (I don't shop for ammo at WalMart, anyway...) but it's out there in sporting goods stores and online. It's not cheap, but neither is good quality .44, .45, etc ammo, either... so you get what you pay for. If you reload for the .41, times are good... components are readily available as are both jacketed bullets in a fair range of weights and styles, and, even better, quality cast bullets, too, up to 265grn (that's the biggest I've seen myself.) I really like the Cast Performance 250grn gas check bullet, but I do just as well with any commercial cast 215grn SWC. If you want to get jiggy with it, there is even .41 SPC brass available if you insist on downloading and want your brass to match.

Old August 27, 2018, 11:54 PM   #20
Dano4734

Beautiful guns wow
Old August 29, 2018, 12:49 AM   #21
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
This came up on another forum, too... so I'll post basically my same reply...

Ammos for the .41 aren't hard to come by. No, you probably won't find it at WalMart (I don't shop for ammo at WalMart, anyway...) but it's out there in sporting goods stores and online. It's not cheap, but neither is good quality .44, .45, etc ammo, either... so you get what you pay for. If you reload for the .41, times are good... components are readily available as are both jacketed bullets in a fair range of weights and styles, and, even better, quality cast bullets, too, up to 265grn (that's the biggest I've seen myself.) I really like the Cast Performance 250grn gas check bullet, but I do just as well with any commercial cast 215grn SWC. If you want to get jiggy with it, there is even .41 SPC brass available if you insist on downloading and want your brass to match.
The last time my local Cabela's had more than one brand or load for .41 magnum was shortly after the start of the last run on ammo when they were desperate to have any ammo on the shelves.

Most of the time when I check there are two or three boxes of "bear loads".
I am very glad that I started reloading with my dad before I was old enough to buy any firearms. Now I figure in the price of loading dies and components when purchasing anything.