The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 20, 2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Bakes168

NEF Revolver Timing Issue

Hello everyone, I just joined and this is my first post, glad to be here with you fine folks!

My issue is with my new to me NEF R92 .22cal revolver, I picked it up from an auction and it seemed hardly used. For those not familiar, it's a 9 shot double action revolver. Upon close inspection after buying it I noticed that when you cock the hammer or pull the trigger and look down the barrel (unloaded of course) you can see one edge of the chamber mouth that the fired round would be in. It would be the left side of the chamber as you sight down the barrel like you were shooting it, the cylinder turns clockwise so the edge that you can see would be the trailing side. Basically, the cylinder is turning too far.

I didn't think this would be a big deal and that the forcing cone would take care of it, but after putting just over 100 rds though it I went to clean it and noticed that the right edge of the forcing cone was kinda rolled over and had a burr, that is, the edge of the steel was dull and not like the other side of the forcing cone (hard to see in pic, but I provided one). I figure this is from the lead bullet impacting it. I also have a fair amount of lead spatter on the frame above the forcing cone.

What can I do to correct this? I found a new hand and cylinder stop online, but have also read that it might be solved by filing the hand down, among other things.

Aside from the atrocious sights, I really like the gun. It's all wood and steel, is overbuilt, handles well, seems reliable and isn't something I have to worry about scratching. I'd like to resolve this issue and hang on to it.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3082.JPG (63.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3151.jpg (75.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3152.jpg (116.9 KB, 56 views)
Old August 20, 2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I suggest finding a good gunsmith. Revolver timing is very important.
Old August 20, 2018, 11:30 PM   #3
tangolima

Alignment of chamber to the bore, it is called ranging. A smith uses a ranging rod to check that, instead of eyeballing it. The method to fix ranging problem... You don't want to know.

You need to find a smith and pay him to do that. Not a lot of gunsmiths can do that job right, mind you. Definitely not something diy.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2018, 11:51 PM   #4
TruthTellers

I'll try not to ramble to much, but bear with me.

I bought an H&R 732 last year and it had a timing issue on a couple chambers. Because it worked fine on 4 chambers it wasn't something that could be easily fixed and given it was an H&R, I didn't think it was worth fixing, so I got a refund from the seller.

IMO, the H&R/NEF revolvers are not worth the hassle and I've not bothered with any of them since. I suggest you look into getting a refund, otherwise you're going to be spending a lot of time/money trying to get it fixed.

If you choose to keep it, I would say because it's over rotating, just keep cocking and dropping the hammer. Maybe if you wear the hand/ratchet teeth enough, they'll break in naturally and the cylinder will index properly. No promises tho, but that's what I'd do.

If that doesn't work, you'll just have to shoot it single action and try to rotate the cylinder to its proper position before you pull the trigger.

I understand the appeal of a cheap .22 revolver with a 9 round cylinder, but for a bit more you could have gotten a Taurus and had a factory to send it to under the lifetime warranty.

With H&R, none of us have that anymore and as much as I would like to own more H&R brand guns, I'm not going to bother anymore. Even the Handi Rifle I bought has light primer strikes.
Old August 23, 2018, 09:26 AM   #5
the possum

You might be better off selling it and buying a different one. Even if ya lose some on the deal, it would probably be cheaper than gunsmith services to correct a problem like this.

Or, just shoot it as-is & live with the issues.