The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 3, 2018, 09:10 PM   #1
TXAZ

Deerfield ILL outlaws semi-auto rifles, shotguns & some handguns in your home

Got a muzzle brake on your gun? You're an outlaw.
Pistol grip? You're an outlaw.
"Protruding (anything that could be a) grip? You're an outlaw.
Folding, telesopic or thumbhole stock? You're an outlaw.
Barrel shroud? You're an outlaw.
etc, etc. You're an outlaw.

So if the bad guys from the southside know that Deerfield has become disarmed, what do you think the burglary and home invasion rate will be?

Here's the text of the new law effective in 2 months:
Text of Deerfield gun ban

Here's an article from WGN on their take.

Deerfield ILL outlaws semis in your home

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 3, 2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What about the shoulder thing that goes up?
Old April 3, 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
SSA

Deerfield. Low crime.
And soon, nothing to defend themselves with but 1911's, and 10 shot Glocks, and 12 gauge shotguns, and hunting rifles.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: allusion to race.
Old April 4, 2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Salmoneye

I was under the delusion that Ill. had state preemption on 'assault weapons' bans unless the 'ban' was enacted prior to 2013...
Old April 4, 2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmoneye
I was under the delusion that Ill. had state preemption on 'assault weapons' bans unless the 'ban' was enacted prior to 2013...
Preemption doesn't stop local governments unless it has significant monetary teeth. There's a video that I saw on Youtube a couple of years back of a municipal council meeting somewhere at which an anti-gun ordinance was being debated. A member of the audience commented that the proposed ordinance couldn't be enforced because the state (whatever state it was) had preemption on firearms laws. One of the councilmen then stated that he didn't care if the state had preemption and the ordinance couldn't be enforced, he was going to vote for the ordinance anyway "because we have to do something."

There's no cure for that.
Old April 4, 2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

^^^^
Interesting that the Chicago media mentioned nothing about preemption and that the law is unenforceable.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 4, 2018 at 09:09 AM. Reason: corrected spelling.
Old April 4, 2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Hal

Quote:
Read the link ----that's addressed in the first two paragraphs..

Interesting document/law.

Not only active LEO is exempt but also retired.
I don't recall that being done before - creating two distinct classes of citizens.
Old April 4, 2018, 12:12 PM   #8
Evan Thomas

I've edited or deleted several posts. Discuss without overt or covert allusions to race. Otherwise, expect consequences.
Old April 4, 2018, 05:04 PM   #9
JWT

Deerfield town fathers certainly have a very broad brush when it comes to painting what an assault gun is. Enforcement should be interesting. Will they demand access to homes to inspect what the owner has for firearms?....
Old April 4, 2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

The San Antonio area just went through a wave of small towns surrounding or embedded in the city, taking OC for long arm laws off the books. They were challenged in a way that some saw as obnoxious but legal. State law forbid the local law.

It was the case that San Antonio itself had such a law and the cops said they would enforce despite the state laws. That changed.

The reason for the SA law was that during the period that SKS rifles were dirt cheap, they were the gun of choice for gangs. The cops wanted to harass and bust gang members who drove around with them.
Old April 4, 2018, 07:54 PM   #11
Armed_Chicagoan

The NRA and Guns Save Life are filing suit: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...nois-lawsuit-1
Old April 4, 2018, 09:04 PM   #12
SSA

Deerfield borders Highland Park. Both are nice, peaceful towns.
Highland Park has already had a similar ban in place for at least a few years, and that ban has survived legal challenges.
Any suit from the NRA or Guns Save Life sounds like a fundraising ploy.
Old April 5, 2018, 11:55 AM   #13
rickyrick

Do they have a registration there?
Old April 6, 2018, 12:34 PM   #14
tony pasley

we will see how it compares
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...atrol%20rifles
Old April 6, 2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

There is some discussion of state pre-emption laws not allowing this ban. However, I am not expert enough to comment on that validity.

The Highland ban still stands I am told as Scalia's prose in Heller was convincing to the lower court.

Note that legislation proposed in Congress to negate state bans went nowhere as other priorities were paramount of the minds of the party in control.
Old April 6, 2018, 07:32 PM   #16
TXAZ

Calling Frank Ettin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
There is some discussion of state pre-emption laws not allowing this ban. However, I am not expert enough to comment on that validity.

The Highland ban still stands I am told as Scalia's prose in Heller was convincing to the lower court.

Note that legislation proposed in Congress to negate state bans went nowhere as other priorities were paramount of the minds of the party in control.
I would love to read Frank Ettin's take on the IL pre-emption law.
Frank?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 11, 2018, 09:14 AM   #17
USAFNoDak

There was some talk about the fact that Deerfield had an ordinance dealing with certain types of firearms prior to the IL preemption law of 2003. The IL law states that laws in place prior to the preemption law could stand and be amended, but no new laws could be passed. Deerfield is claiming that they only amended their existing law, even though this new law has some very new regulations in it, as a new law would be. That's what I've heard the new lawsuits brought by ISRA and NRA are about; preemption. The suits filed are not about 2nd amendment violations. If what I read is not correct, I hope someone will provide the correct information.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old April 11, 2018, 06:41 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Deerfield is claiming that they only amended their existing law, even though this new law has some very new regulations in it,...
Perhaps they are "amending" the old law the same way one repairs an old worn out truck by jacking up the radiator cap....

You jack up the radiator cap, drag the old truck out from under it, slide in a new truck, jack the cap back down and screw it on tight. Looks like they got the screw it part right, anyway...
Old June 12, 2018, 07:06 PM   #19
Armed_Chicagoan

Finally some sanity! A judge today blocked the ordinance from going into effect: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...go-into-effect

The only rational ruling, because otherwise state preemption of local gun bans would be meaningless.
Old June 13, 2018, 04:33 AM   #20
KY_blkout

Nice to see a judge in or around Chicago that has some sense.
Old June 13, 2018, 06:17 PM   #21
Armed_Chicagoan

Here's the order in the Deerfield case: https://www.scribd.com/document/3817...lt-Weapons-Ban