The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2014, 02:19 PM   #1
TheFisherman

CCI mag primers for 10mm

Greetings every one,
I've been reloading handgun ammo for a long time and im having a little trouble with my 10mm. I've been putting 14gr of aa#9 of behind a 180gr plated fn. With Winchester large pistols primers. I was gonna go down to 13.5 and CCI large pistol magnums. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions???
Old May 21, 2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Accurate's max load under a 180gr bullet is 13.5gr, so I'd say you need to step down more than from over max to "just" max.

I would recommend going to the starting load and working back up. It only costs 15 rounds or so, there's really no downside.
Old May 21, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3
TheFisherman

Thanks my man im gonna have to agree. I got the load from this forum:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...=192702&page=4

they are definitely not as accurate as I would like.and even though I'm not seeing overpressure signs it's gotta be hard on the brass. And it's not like I find 10 millimeter brass laying all over the place.
Old May 21, 2014, 05:55 PM   #4
RickB

I did some experimenting with Magnum primers and less-than-max loads, and saw a small increase in velocity, which would suggest a small increase in pressure. I'd suggest dropping at least a full grain (below recommended max . . .), and testing velocities.
Old May 22, 2014, 06:12 PM   #5
TheFisherman

Thanks rick, im gonna try that. I feel like there is more powder in the 10mm than I put in my 357. So it just makes sense to move up to the magnum primers. Ill come down on my load though like you said. Also let me ask you guys whats you coal? 1.255 seems to feed improperly out of my g20
Old May 22, 2014, 11:52 PM   #6
SpringOWeiler

I use 1.256 in my G20. 1.260 in my aftermarket barrel.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:33 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

It makes more sense (to me) to stop trying to drive those plated bullets hard.

Try a mild load of HS6 or N350 or AA5 or W231 or something else.

Save the AA9 for nukes.

Last edited by WESHOOT2; May 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: best SINGLE 10mm powder: N350
Old May 23, 2014, 11:03 AM   #8
RickB

I've loaded every bullet, regardless of shape or weight, at 1.26". I don't think a .01" much matters, if it feeds and chambers properly.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:44 AM   #9
CowTowner

Quote:
It makes more sense (to me) to stop trying to drive those plated bullets hard.

Try a mild load of HS6 or N350 or AA5 or W231 or something else.
W231 is awesome for plated and gives the added benefit of not trashing the steel targets like the full power loads can. I use Power Pistol for the real deal.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 23, 2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Mike / Tx

My top end load for my 10mm uses 13.0 grains of #9 under the Speer Gold Dot and it is plenty at 1350fps. But I have a 7" barrel to help get it there as well. Oh and I have never used a magnum primer to this day in my loads. Most of them use either Win-WLP or CCI standards. Just depends on what I have open at the time.

Don't get caught up in trying to work up to the peak pressure levels where a good hot day can ruin your shooting, not to mention your cases. Load for accuracy and you will be miles ahead in the game. Course if you can swing a box of 500 or more Starline cases every couple of months, and IF they have them, well run em on up there.

I see plenty of folks who RAVE about getting this or that velocity, but at what cost to the wear and tear on your weapon. Not to mention your accuracy. Granted SOME folks can easily handle the recoil some can't, but with my loads they usually hover just inside or out of 2" at 50yds rested, and not much over that standing with a two hand hold. If there is any doubt to the effectiveness of them well, all I have to offer is, a couple dozen hogs ranging in weight from a few pounds up through a couple hundred pounds.

Those on the 4 wheeler were all Gold Dot hogs...

I've been loading for mine for close to 20years now and am still using some of the cases I started out with. I have never really ruined any, but I have lost a ton. Mine chunks em out like skeet, out into na na land I think. But I hunt with it, so I expect to loose some along the way. Doesn't mean I want to tear them to pieces along the way though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB200029RD.JPG (113.4 KB, 1561 views)
Old May 24, 2014, 11:01 AM   #11
WIL TERRY

In twenty plus years of loading the 10MM NORMA cartridge I never ever felt the need fo a largepistol Magnum primer. Furthermore, when working for the last ammunition company I never EVER saw the need for those primers show up at the ballistics laboratory.
BUT, also never ever loose sight of the fact that the Winchester WLP primers we all know , use, and love, are the very same 7M-111F WINCHESTER LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS that W-W sold for decades. When they found out those MAG primers did just fine with any and all standard pistol cartridges burning any and all pistol propellents as required, there was suddenly NO need to keep selling two pistol primers doing the same thing, VOILA!!, and the WLP was born to historical [ or hysterical..] accolades.
And so it goes.
Old May 24, 2014, 02:22 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

'cept I sold the gun!

So I've used CCI350 in many of my super-stupid-hot 10mm
Old May 24, 2014, 02:24 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

....But I found plated bullets (180g Rainier preferred) under N350 or Power Pistol or WAP running at 1,000--1,075fps perfect for just shootin'......
Old May 29, 2014, 06:02 AM   #14
TheFisherman

Hey Mike,
I loaded up some 10mm with your suggested load. Im gonna take em to the range this weekend. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old May 29, 2014, 06:34 AM   #15
SpringOWeiler

Dudes I run 135 noslers at 1850fps out my g20 with a 6" stormlake barrel. I have an excel data file with EVERY load I've made up for my g20. It's 276 rows long. Longshot is the key to high velocity. AA9 is child's play. In my 6" barrel I've taken 180's up to 1500fps without any pressure signs.
Old May 30, 2014, 04:55 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

6" is just funny-looking

Dude I got 1870fps with my 135g Nosler load from my 5" Jarvis barrel.
Didn't look funny.

I never got anywhere with Longshot.
Old May 31, 2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Dude I got 1870fps with my 135g Nosler load from my 5" Jarvis barrel.
Didn't look funny.

I never got anywhere with Longshot.
I wasn't going there, but

I am not going to post my max loads or velocities. What worked in MY pistol might blow the next persons up. I worked them up years ago and believe me they are higher than what has been posted so far in every bullet weight. I never felt I needed that sort of wear and tear on my pistol and as usual accuracy trumps velocity. None of the higher pressured loads EVER grouped as well as what I posted above. I'm not concerned with how well a load shoots at 5-7yds, but rather how well it does at 25, 50, or beyond.

I see no reason what so ever to push things to the top most FPS I can get simply to say I can do it.

As for AA-9 being referred to as childsplay, I can see your obviously on the other end of the spectrum, and don't realize yet what I found many years ago. I was there once myself, as have been most, who have loaded long enough to sort out fact from fantasy. Having 276 different loads means what, you played with a ton of powders and have a bunch of loads. It say's nothing about the performance of any, other than "hey I hit 1800fps with this". Like I also mentioned above, it will only take the one load you worked up at 65 degrees and then fired again at 85-95 degrees for you to realize there are other things to consider when developing a load rather than velocity.

Like the old saying goes, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not many old bold ones.