The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2006, 11:26 PM   #1
terpdx

Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip Removal Problem

I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader which I'm trying to remove the pistol grip from. However, when I try to use an allen wrench to remove the stock bolt, it won't budge. I'm afraid to twist too hard for fear of breaking something. Is this normal?
Old August 13, 2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Big Mac

What kind of pistol grip is this? I'd apply a small but quick jerk to see if it'll loosen it. I had my 500 on a pistol grip that would get a little stuck after a while sitting in the gun rack.
Old August 13, 2006, 03:57 PM   #3
terpdx

It's the stock pistol grip that came with the gun. I've struggled mightily with it, but it's not budging and the next step I'm about to take is to insert the allen wrench and tap and the wrench handle with a hammer to get it to loosen up. The stock bolts aren't reverse-threaded, are they?
Old August 13, 2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

Nope, not reverse threaded. Put a cheater bar on your allen wrench if you can't get enough oomph on it, or try a bit of penetrating oil, or perhaps the oil and just a few taps on the head of the screw through the allen wrench using a small hammer will help get things loosened up. It should come loose.

lpl/nc