The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 27, 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
reteach

Help me spend some money

I was born in 1950. The idea has popped into my brain that it would be neat to own a handgun made in 1950. I'm thinking about Smith and Wesson. I know how to look up a serial number and find the year of manufacture, but how do I shop for a gun made in a specific year? I don't want to break the bank on this, so going to a collector to browse their stock probably wouldn't work because of the price they would ask. So, any ideas?
Old August 27, 2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Dufus

No
Old August 27, 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
jmhyer

No particular ideas from me, other than the one you kind of just came up with...that is, posting on various forums that you would like to purchase a pistol made in 1950. Basically, a "want to buy" ad. Then see what responses you get.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:48 AM   #4
lee n. field

Was there anything that came out in 1950? Chief's Special?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 27, 2018, 12:29 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...shop for a gun made in a specific year..." Like jmhyer says, try a 'Want to buy" add on one of the auction sites. Best to be very specific about condition, barrel length, etc, etc. And require a return agreement with the seller. Most auction site sellers seem to be dealers that may or may not have an actual store. Lot of 'em don't want the return agreement.
"...the price they would ask..." Will be an issue anyway. You want something specific that isn't easy to come by. Tends to bring out the vultures. However, if you decide on a budget first and stick to it, it might help.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Sevens

Well, if you are trying to do this on a tight budget, it could be horribly difficult, bordering on impossible. However, if you are absolutely willing to spend what is likely to be extra funds to get exactly what you seek, then it's absolutely possible to do so... for Smith & Wesson especially but also for Colt guns, start shopping guns where the owner has requested, paid for and received a factory letter.

The letter isn't an insignificant amount of money and it also took someone time to request and wait for it. The gun is typically going to cost more with a factory letter than a similar gun without one.

There are many many folks with these on the Smith & Wesson forum.

What's a much tougher one to get (but some persistent folks still claim to try to chase them, with what I imagine is a VERY low rate of success...) are the guys who chase after an actual "birthday gun." They seek to own a gun that was shipped on their actual day of birth.

That's a major crapshoot, you've got to get awfully lucky to find something like that.

I'd estimate that it may be some 365 times more difficult than what you seek!
Old August 27, 2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Do a search on Gunbroker. For older guns, sellers will list year of manufacture if known. Year can be confirmed by SN less the last few numbers and most sellers are willing to share that info.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/782101628
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783821386
Old August 27, 2018, 01:31 PM   #8
AFK

Quote:
Go to gun shows. Have the serial number to year ratio with you. Look through older S&W model 10's.
I agree, I think this would be the most fun way to do it at least. Sometimes the search is half the fun. Just be careful, you'll probably find other things to bring home though.
Old August 27, 2018, 05:24 PM   #9
reteach

Onward -
I definitely like that Model 25. In fact, both guns you linked to are excellent examples of Smith and Wesson's art. I didn't have a particular budget in mind when I asked the question. I'll have to think about that.
Thanks guys. Some good ideas to consider.
Old August 27, 2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Mike38

Keep searching auction sites such as www.rockislandauction.com or for sale sites such as www.simpsonltd.com and check every listing. I think they give the serial number in the description, if not the pictures usually show the serial number. Then look up serial number for the year made.
Old August 28, 2018, 02:40 PM   #11
McShooty

The last iteration of the S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman, a large frame 38 Special with 6.5 in bbl, is the Model of 1950. It is a super revolver.
Old August 28, 2018, 03:13 PM   #12
ammo.crafter

What came to mind immediately is a S&W Target Masterpiece in 38 Special.

Check out gunbroker or similar on line businesses.
Old August 28, 2018, 07:26 PM   #13
bn12gg

Get smart focus on the late 40's early 50's era. Good luck.

.02. David.
Old August 31, 2018, 06:43 PM   #14
mr bolo

a Russian SKS with a 1950 date, a nice collectable surplus rifle from the Cold War era.