The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Texpatriate

SX2 or 3901 vs. Extrema 2 or Urika

I've been considering getting a semi-auto and I've got a nice fat bass pro shops gift card from my birthday that's burning a hole in my pocket. I had been considering putting down some extra $$ to get an xtrema 2, but with their fall hutning classic coming up I see that they have a 3901 "NRA Special" for $499 or a Super X 2 Special Field (3" chamber) in walnut for $599. The other canidate is a 391 Urika for $949.
Anybody got any opinions on how the 3901 or the Super X 2 will compare to the xtrema 2 or the urika? I don't really need the 3.5" chamber on the Xtrema 2 since I've never used it on my Nova. Whatever I get, I'll be using it for clays, upland game, and very occaisional waterfowl- as in "if somebody invites me along, I'll gladly go, but probably not on my own". I've never duck hunted in my life, but I'll reserve the right to if someone where to invite me along. Everything I see about the SX2 and the Xtrema sounds extremly positive, but I haven't heard as much about the urika or the 3901. Thanks.
Old August 1, 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
PJR

Quote:
I don't really need the 3.5" chamber on the Xtrema 2 since I've never used it on my Nova.
In that case definitely get the 391. I primarly shoot clay targets and own a 391 as a back up to my o/u, a loaner gun and occasional waterfowler. It's the best all round gun on the market today IMHO and handles 7/8s ounce right up to 3" without fail. The next choice would be the 3901. It's a very good gun (almost as good as a 391) and handles 3" shells for those few times that you'll need them.
Old August 1, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Texpatriate

Do you have the urika or the teknys?

Quote:
"The next choice would be the 3901. It's a very good gun (almost as good as a 391)"

For $550 more the 391 had better be a darn sight better if you ask me.
Old August 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Scorch

I hunted with a friend last year who was shooting a SX2. Very nice gun, and one I would definitely consider if I were you. I am not too impressed with the others after handling them, but I haven't shot the others.
Old August 1, 2006, 05:18 PM   #5
maas

the super x2 is an awsome shotgun and id say that price is a deal.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 1, 2006, 08:20 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
with their fall hutning classic coming up I see that they have a 3901 "NRA Special" for $499
Damn, I'm gonna take a look at that - yowsa! August 12 the fall hunting classic sale starts - 11 days...

How did you find out what is going to be *on sale* during the fall classic? Usually they don't want to let that info out in case you want to buy now - they don't want you to wait. It's not here - hmmm.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...unting_classic
Old August 1, 2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Texpatriate

Here's a link to the Saint Louis Store's weekly circular: http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...014&storeID=26

The hunting classic starts here this saturday, so your location may not have their circular posted online yet. If you look up the specific store in your area, they will have a link where you can view their weekly circular.

So, the "toll road state" eh? that's gotta be Florida. I just moved up here from Orlando about 4 weeks ago and oh my gosh the tolls just about killed us. take care.
Old August 1, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Eightball

The 391 is an excellent, excellent system. IMHO, best gas autoloading shotgun that only chambers 3" shells. By all means, get that--from what you said you're using it for, it's perfect---and I doubt you'lll find any complaints with it after you use it. Lightweight, ergonomic, handy, and effective. As for Teknys vs Urika--whichever style suits you, go for it. The extra cost for the nicer wood is worth it, though--got a "nice wood" 391 amongst the "regulars"--it's a beaut. With that Optima bored barrel, it's a real winner. Trust me--I've sold many (about 10 in the year I've been there--that's me alone) at the shop where I work, and have never had a complaint. A lot of people ask for the Teknys, of which we are eternally out of--so, you might look into special ordering that. I've heard it's a real looker.
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old August 1, 2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Texpatriate

So what exactly is the mechanical difference between the 3901 and the 391? Isn't the 3901 basically just the 390 reborn? With that said, I still don't know what the difference is. My brother has a 390 and it is one sweet shooting gun in my hands. I borrowed it from him for a bachelor party a few months ago and about 10 of us put several hundred rounds of cheap walmart target loads through it without a single jam. Ever since then I've been drooling for a Beretta.
Old August 2, 2006, 10:24 AM   #10
FirstFreedom

The NRA 3901 plastic stock for $499 says "No rainchecks; limited quantities", so...... and thanks for the link.

Count me as one who would also like to know the exact differences between the 390, 3901, and 391, particularly the 3901.
Old August 3, 2006, 02:19 PM   #11
johnbt

I don't have a clue, although I really like the feel of the Beretta 391 Parallel Target model I keep picking up at the store.

I think some of them have overbored barrels and some don't. Okay, looking at the Beretta site, the 391's are overbored with Optima chokes and the 3901's aren't and have Mobilchokes. I know there are some other differences, but I didn't take the time to look.

I do have an SX-2 Waterfowl I like a lot. It has a 3.5" chamber, but all I used this past season on ducks and geese was 3" Hevi-Shot.

John
Old August 3, 2006, 06:02 PM   #12
Texpatriate

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "overbored" mean, and what does it do for me?
Old August 3, 2006, 07:12 PM   #13
maas

i might be wrong but isn't overboared the same as backboared. and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't backboaring when the bore is a larger diamiter (i think is somthing like .740 compaired to .729) to decrease shot srtings and increase velocity and decrease recoil. i know that brownings are backbored and im not sure if winchesters are also.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 4, 2006, 02:23 PM   #14
johnbt

Both have oversized bores, but to split a few hairs explaining how it was explained to me. A gunsmith backbores; the factory builds overbores.

backbored - Metal is removed from a standard bore to make the hole bigger. The result is that the barrel weighs a little less because you've thinned it.

overbored - The barrel is made with a larger bore, but the wall thickness is, well, still thick, so the barrel ends up being heavier than a standard bore barrel.

Just visualize it in terms of big pipes and little pipes - inside diameter and wall thickness.

I'm not getting into whether or not any of it improves patterns and reduces recoil. I will say my SX-2 Waterfowl is overbored and throws great patterns with 3" #4&6 Hevi-Shot and the IC or MOD choke tubes.

Backboring a barrel will shave a few ounces off the barrel. That's either going to make you happy because it's changed the way it handles or unhappy because it's changed the way it swings.

John
Old August 5, 2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Texpatriate

Well,
I decided to go with the Urika Optima in black synthetic with a 28" barrel. Thanks to all who offered advice. I took a long look at the SX2 but finally decided to go with the Beretta. I picked it up today from Bass Pro. By the way, in the process I found that Dick's Sporting Goodds has Xtrema2's w/ KO in Max-4 for $1049 for anybody who may be in the market. At that price I would have bought it myself, but my gift card was for Bass Pro rather than Dick's. They had Bass Pro beat by $450 on that gun, and I couldn't get Bass Pro to match the price- said it would have been bellow their cost.
Old August 5, 2006, 01:21 PM   #16
johnbt

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll like it. I looked long and hard at some wood stocked ones...and had one in my hands when I saw the used SX-2 in ShadowGrass on the shelf for a little over $700. I still want a Urika though.

John
Old August 5, 2006, 08:38 PM   #17
HKGuns

You made the correct choice. That will be a clay killer. I own one and couldn't be happier with my choice. I also own an Xtrema2 and it is a great gun, but if you don't need the 3.5" chamber you don't need an Xtrema2.