The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 4, 2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Mobuck

Brass catcher

Has anyone tried the "Custom Cast usa" rail mounted brass catcher?
I'm looking for something that is unobtrusive, sturdy, and will stay on the rifle in field use.
The ding-dong mesh thingies that attach to the handguard are absolutely WORTHLESS even in limited range use so I'm looking for a better option.
Old December 4, 2018, 11:16 PM   #2
ed308

You want the best, this is it. But not cheap.

https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.co...brass-catcher/
Old December 4, 2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Charlie98

I don't know if 'brass catcher' and 'unobtrusive' can be used in the same sentence. Personally, I use the Caldwell, it's about as unobtrusive as you can get, detaches in 1 second, and works really, really well.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 4, 2018, 11:39 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I also use the pic-rail Caldwell brass catcher.
I do not, however, think it's worth the typical asking price of about $40. I bought half a bushel of them when on clearance for $14, and later went through multiple design iterations to 3D-print additional pic rail mount blocks. (There, again, I wasn't going to pay $12-18 per mount, even if my 3D-printed mounts will only be good for a few months each. [Especially since I can't print another dozen in a couple hours, for a total cost of about $1.65, including the cost of screws from the hardware store.])

The TBR brass catchers are AWESOME. But I can't afford to shell out the cash necessary for the estimated four different configurations that I would need.
Old December 5, 2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Crankylove

Another Caldwell user here.

Works fairly well, although I’ve had to retighten to adjustment screws a few times, and I do get some cases clinging to the mesh due to their temp when ejected. But, it’s quick and easy to install/remove, and is fairly unobtrusive while in use.

Gets the job done fairly cheap ($20 for mine) and is much more user friendly than the rigid plastic snap on brass catcher for my SP1.
Old December 5, 2018, 10:25 AM   #6
AK103K

I use a Caldwell too. I find it works great, doesnt interfere while shooting, even if youre moving around while you shoot. I really dont even notice its on the gun while Im shooting, its that unobtrusive. It easily holds 2-3 mags worth of brass too.

Easy on, easy off, should there be some problem, which I haven't encountered yet. The mount is unobtrusive, although, it does take up a small amount of rail space. Not an issue for me, as I usually have plenty of room on mine anyway, and the bag is easily adjusted for fit, where ever you put mount.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Metal god

I use the codwell as well but I don’t zip it up so it drops the cases straight down at my feet . Never tried closed a running and gunning , likely would not do well . They do make one that attaches to the rail rather then velcro around the handgard .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 6, 2018, 01:58 AM   #8
Metal god

I was on my phone earlier so I could not link the Caldwell brass catcher that mounts to the top rail

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...lon-mesh-black

They also sell the mounts separately so you can have them on multiple rifles and just switch the catcher back and forth .

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/94...caAqm5EALw_wcB

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 6, 2018, 02:13 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Ed mentioned Tactical Brass Recovery brass catchers. I have used them for a few years. Mine stays on my rifle all the time, with the exception of when I am cleaning the gun. So it is on the rifle in the rifle bag. It is on the rifle in the safe. It is on the rifle in the field. They are sturdy products and the owner stands behind them. They also have free shipping through Christmas 2018.
Old December 6, 2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
The ding-dong mesh thingies that attach to the handguard are absolutely WORTHLESS
Agreed. I have the Caldwell Velcro on net. Burned a hole through the net shooting my AR first range trip.
Old December 6, 2018, 08:23 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
The ding-dong mesh thingies that attach to the handguard are absolutely WORTHLESS even in limited range use so I'm looking for a better option.
Been my experience too.
Old December 6, 2018, 08:44 AM   #12
zeke

Another caldwell rail mount user. Especially handy in winter or when shooting on a line with others. Don't know how sturdy it is, like leaning myself against it when attached. Can be tight with low mounted scopes and large adjustable windage turrets, and have cut one of the bars out of one to fit.
Old December 6, 2018, 09:49 AM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
Is there a difference in the mesh on the Caldwell mesh catchers? I have a couple of the rail mount versions (2-3 years old), and hot brass has never been an issue, even when the gun is shot quickly. Nothing has ever stuck to the mesh.

Is it a version thing? Maybe they got it figured out.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:34 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Is there a difference in the mesh on the Caldwell mesh catchers? I have a couple of the rail mount versions (2-3 years old), and hot brass has never been an issue, even when the gun is shot quickly. Nothing has ever stuck to the mesh.

Is it a version thing? Maybe they got it figured out.
I think it's more dependent upon the load, firearm, and how the cases eject.
I never had a problem with any cartridge, rifle, or brass catcher, until my last trip out.
One particular load, in one particular .223 upper (which rarely gets fired), was getting cases stuck to the mesh. But, again, only if the case mouth ended up touching the cut edge of the mesh. Anywhere else, it was fine. Any other load, it was fine. The other ARs out that day, it was fine...
Old December 6, 2018, 11:42 AM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
I think it's more dependent upon the load, firearm, and how the cases eject.
I never had a problem with any cartridge, rifle, or brass catcher, until my last trip out.
One particular load, in one particular .223 upper (which rarely gets fired), was getting cases stuck to the mesh. But, again, only if the case mouth ended up touching the cut edge of the mesh. Anywhere else, it was fine. Any other load, it was fine. The other ARs out that day, it was fine...
"Everyone speaks gun."--Robert O'Neill
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
Old December 6, 2018, 12:06 PM   #16
AK103K

Ive used mine with both suppressed and unsuppressed AR's, which have very different ejection patterns and forces, and havent seen any issue with the catcher and function, of either it or the gun.

The difference hasnt affected the mesh on the catcher either.
Old December 6, 2018, 01:17 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It comes down to timing of your rifle for the brass-catcher--your ejection path may end up with case "bounce back" into the chamber.
I was addressing cases sticking to the mesh.

But 'bounce-back' is a valid concern, and a frequently noted problem with some other brass catchers.
As for myself... I've never had a problem with 'bounce-back' with the Caldwell pic-rail brass catcher. Nor have any of the other people that I tend to shoot with, that use the same product. (Suppress and unsuppressed; from .223 to 6.8 SPC; and from .308 Win to .458 SOCOM/.475 Tremor.)
That could indicate that it's a good design. Or it could just be more the way we adjust ours. I don't know, but I do like the design.
Old December 6, 2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Metal god

I have the Velcro mount type and my brass from time to time will stick to the mesh . I've never had bounce back or failure to eject . Two things I do though is align it well and strap it on VERY tight .

At one range I go to the RSO want me to remove it when the line is cold so the can easily see the rifle is safe . I did that for awhile but then started feeding a long loaded chamber indicator through it and they are OK with that . I've been wanting to try the rail mount one and will soon . Maybe Santa will step up this year haha .

Old December 6, 2018, 02:51 PM   #19
ed308

I’ve had brass stick to the mesh type when shooting larger calibers like 270AR, 6.5 CM and .308. I have one Tactical Brass Catcher that Ive used for hunting. Don’t get to hunt much anymore, but works on the bench too. I have a large mesh brass catcher that I usually use for bench shooting. It tends to miss some of the brass unless positioned correctly.
Old December 6, 2018, 05:23 PM   #20
Road_Clam

My burned hole happened in July at my 600 yd range. Some shooters wear shorts in the hot summer months. Ever had a spent hot AR casing land on your bare leg shooting prone ?(*Road_Clam raises his hand) So out of compassion for the shooter next to me I tried using my Caldwell brass bag. Very hot day, rifle was hot and got a small burn hole . I also have lots of problems with hot brass sticking to the mesh. I mainly use mine in the winter when I don't want to be chasing brass in the snow. Mush less of a problem in the cold winter months. I was able to patch up the small burned hole with some Permatex RTV .
Old December 6, 2018, 07:24 PM   #21
ed308

Another problem with the mesh design brass catchers, the mesh catches on just about everything in the field.
Old December 6, 2018, 07:38 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
My burned hole happened in July at my 600 yd range. Some shooters wear shorts in the hot summer months. Ever had a spent hot AR casing land on your bare leg shooting prone ?
I've got one better than that.

When I took a CCW permit class in Chattanooga I went for the best I could find--and that was a 3 day course taught by members of the police department at a local indoor range. Since there was a range test at various distances--the vast majority of the class had 22's, 380's and a few 9mm's. I decided to be cool and brought along the then new to the market and me Springfield 45 XD. Sergeant "lava lamp" (huge swat team guy who for some reason liked playing the cross between terminator and hippy) comes over to supervise my shooting, I rip of a magazine but being summer and wearing a t and gym shorts a spent cartridge hits my glasses and goes right down the front of my t-shirt into the front of my shorts--prompting a spontaneous hip-hop dance. From then on the cops teaching the class couldn't even look at me without smiling or laughing.
Old December 6, 2018, 10:09 PM   #23
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
wearing a t and gym shorts a spent cartridge hits my glasses and goes right down the front of my t-shirt into the front of my shorts--prompting a spontaneous hip-hop dance.
You win. I've had hot brass bounce all over my face, off the back of my neck, into my hoodie, buy not down my shorts !
Old December 7, 2018, 08:14 AM   #24
Mobuck

I bought a unit with a molded "brass deflector" which should avert the "bounce back" I've had with the full mesh bag thingies and if the bag doesn't work as I want, at least I end up with a brass deflector.
I'll give it a try anyway.
Old December 7, 2018, 03:09 PM   #25
Road_Clam

These ones by E&L Mfg look pretty functional for benchrest or bipod , but you would need to buy extra mount kits if you run multiple uppers.

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html