The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
rbernie

Need Remington SportLoad 12ga loads

I have quite a stock of Remington SportLoad 12ga hulls that I'd like to use to make 7/8oz practice loads. Sadly, Lyman (5th Ed.) doesn't show much in the way of load data for these specific hulls and 7/8oz shot charges.

Has anyone worked up any light loads for these hulls that they'd care to share? I'm specifically looking for wad recommendations.

Last edited by rbernie; December 4, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:08 AM   #2
noyes

Try Shotgun World.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php
Old December 7, 2009, 02:09 AM   #3
olddrum1

Try googling Hodgdons reloading data. Great web based data base.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:24 PM   #4
rbernie

Thanks for the suggestions. Shotgunworld wasn't very useful in the end (most likely because my SearchFu failed me), but I'd forgotten that Hodgdon runs a decent set of data and their site proved helpful. Nobody has much data for the BPI or CB proprietary wads, but I suppose that's to be expected.

I can always default to the WAA12L wad, but I'm likely to try the SuperSpark or similar with a middlin' load of Clays just to see how they work out.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
BigJimP

I believe the Remington sportload hulls and the "gun club" hulls are the same - but some of the sportload marked Rem hulls are 6 point crimp and some are 8 point crimp ......

In general, you won't get very many reloads from "gun club" hulls - and if the sportload hulls are even lighter weight plastic / it may be less.

I would probably recommend you dump the sportload hulls / get some Rem STS or Nitro hulls - and load them using the Hodgdon specs - with Hodgdon Clays, 7/8 oz, Rem 209P primer and the WAA12SL or WAA12L wad or an equivalent per the Hodgdon tables. Personally I like the WAA12SL wad ( since I use it in 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads - and a load of around 1250 fps in 7/8 oz in the tables.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:02 PM   #6
oneounceload

go to shotgunworld.com and then to the reloading section - ask Curly.