The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1
jaytothekizzay

What would happen?

So when i carry a full magazine, +1 in the chamber. I manually load my +1 into the chamber with slide locked open. I then release the slide into battery. I then insert my full mag into the gun.

What would happen if i put my full mag into the gun by mistake, before i released the slide. Would the gun strip off another live round from the mag, causing the round to slam into the primer of my chambered +1 round?

Am I doing anything potentially dangerous?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old September 13, 2017, 06:52 PM   #2
TXAZ

What gun, that will make a difference.

I just tried that on my little Ruger LC9s and it locked the mag in place.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 13, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

The way you are doing is not recommended. Yes, you will either get a double feed and have to clear it, or potenitally, the incoming round from the magazine could cause the round in the chamber to go off. Never heard of that happening, but anything striking a round in the chamber could have that effect.
As well, many guns do not recommend loading the chambered round manually. They are not designed for that.

The recommended way is to load your mag, insert and release the slide to chamber the round. Now your slide will be closed on a loaded firearm. Drop the partially loaded mag and load another round to full capacity and reinsert, or reload with another fully loaded mag.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Loading the chamber depends on the type of gun.

As example, it's not recommended to do this with a 1911 series pistol because the extractor is not designed to snap over a rim.
This "can" cause broken extractors or bent extractors.

Other guns with outside extractors like the Glock, S&W M&P, and other guns it's usually okay to drop a round in the chamber and drop the slide..... EXCEPT, I't may not be a good idea even with them because when the slide closes it drops with such force it "might" cause the gun to fire if the action is worn, dirty, or otherwise defective.
The slide closing on a loaded magazine slows and "pads" the force of the closing slide.

If you insert a round in the chamber, then insert a loaded mag and drop the slide, the gun will attempt to feed another round.
Potentially, the bullet nose could impact the primer of the round in the chamber and fire the round.

In order to do that, you'd have to be really absent minded and paying zero attention.

Best way to do it.... insert a loaded mag and chamber a round. Remove the mag and load another round into the mag.
Most police and military teach not to drop a round in the chamber first.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Not any more dangerous to you, but could be quite hazardous to your pistol. Sounds like a great way to break an extractor.
You are better off to insert a loaded mag, drop the slide to chamber a round, then remove the mag to top it off.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 13, 2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Sevens

You are quite potentially damaging your extractor actually and yes, it's not particularly "safe" gun handling to drop a slide or bolt on to a chambered round. Less so in a semiauto pistol more so in other platforms -- this can cause a slamfire.

If you wish to carry +1, strip a round from the magazine and then remove the mag and top it off.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:05 PM   #7
disseminator

What they said.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Sequins

I always carry +1 in my ccw Glock 30.

My procedure is to ensure my weapon has no magazine inserted and a clear chamber, then I insert a fully loaded magazine and pull the slide back fully, then I release the slide clambering one round.

I now have a loaded pistol so I very carefully drop my magazine, set my gun down, load an additional round into the magazine returning it to full capacity, and then carefully pick my gun back up and insert the magazine a second time.

That gives me a full capacity magazine +1 round in the chamber and a tensioned striker ready to he released when I pull the trigger.
Old September 13, 2017, 08:14 PM   #9
jaytothekizzay

Thanks guys...will definately take your advice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old September 13, 2017, 08:20 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytothekizzay View Post
So when i carry a full magazine, +1 in the chamber. I manually load my +1 into the chamber with slide locked open. I then release the slide into battery. I then insert my full mag into the gun.
Uh, don't do that. Unless the gun's manual explicitly says it's OK. Potential extractor damage.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 13, 2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Doc Holliday 1950

Ditto to Sequins

Doc
Old September 13, 2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Normally I use a empty mag and put one bullet in it, rack the slide with that mag in place. Then I insert a fully loaded magazine.

At least that is how I do it.

Deaf
Old September 14, 2017, 11:41 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...Would the gun strip off another live round..." Yep. That's how they work. Causes an instant jam, but isn't particularly dangerous. However, not paying attention to what you're doing is dangerous.
Old September 15, 2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Destructo6

Quote:
Don't do this. As said above, it's bad.

I've personally seen a heavily damaged extractor (HK external) from doing this.

Not only was the extractor so badly chipped that it barely caught the cartridge, the cartridge itself was mangled to the point it failed to fire.

Simply top off your magazine after using it to load the chamber in the same manner it will load the chamber when firing.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 15, 2017, 03:56 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just curiosity, but has anyone actually seen or seen a reliable report of a chambered round being fired by the impact of the second round bullet nose on the primer of the chambered round?

There were reports of that happening in bolt action rifles in the early years, leading to the adoption of "controlled feeding". It has not been mentioned much in recent years in spite of the common use of "push feed" (Remington 700, etc.), in part since the ammunition generally used in those rifles has been soft point, not military FMJ.

But I doubt that such a thing would happen in a handgun, where pointed bullets are uncommon, and the force of a slide moving under the pressure of the recoil spring would not have the impact of a bolt moving under manual operation.

Jim
Old September 15, 2017, 04:01 PM   #16
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just curiosity, but has anyone actually seen or seen a reliable report of a chambered round being fired by the impact of the second round bullet nose on the primer of the chambered round?
The closest I've heard of was related to tube-loading repeaters like lever guns. Isn't that way they added plastic tips to some bullet types?
Old September 15, 2017, 04:12 PM   #17
Sevens

I can't say that I have heard of the pointed tip of a bullet impacting a primer and resulting in a discharge.

However, to the original point of dropping/slamming a slide or a bolt on a chambered round... do this enough times with an AR-15 or other firearms with a floating firing pin and sooner or later you'll destroy a firearm and/or hurt someone.
Old September 15, 2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Mr. Hill

That's an interesting question, James. Never heard of that happening with a 700. I wonder if the round coming out of the mag would bind up in the receiver before hitting the primer of the chambered round?
Old September 15, 2017, 06:34 PM   #19
HighValleyRanch

Well, it may never have happened or been recorded as such, but I do believe in "MURPHY"S LAW!
Old September 16, 2017, 08:19 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have heard of it supposedly happening with a Remington 700 when the rifle was rebarrelled to other than the original caliber. Normally, the receiver is made to channel the round coming out of the magazine so the bullet point is away from the primer, but a differently shaped round (e.g., different shoulder angle) could change the angle of the round. It is easy to check; chamber a dummy round, but don't close the bolt enough for the extractor to catch. Then retract the bolt and feed another dummy round out of the magazine; the bullet point comes very close to the primer of the chambered round.

And it supposedly happened with the early push feed Mausers, causing Mauser to change the extractor and go to controlled feed.

Jim
Old September 18, 2017, 08:02 AM   #21
Skans

Quote:
Normally, the receiver is made to channel the round coming out of the magazine so the bullet point is away from the primer
While I never experienced this in the context of the OP's scenario, it's been my experience as well that the nose of the bullet doesn't hit where the primer is located on a chambered cartridge. I probably noticed this when trying to chamber a round with a stuck spent case than with a live round.
Old September 18, 2017, 01:14 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

Why do you think extractors have springs? They move-this is so they can slide over the rims of chambered rounds.
If this were not necessary, extractors would be fixed.
While it may not be a good idea to ride the extractor over the cartridge rim, it should not hurt the gun.
Old September 18, 2017, 01:42 PM   #23
arquebus357

I've always wondered why extractors have that ramp shape at the tip.

Thanks Bill "again"
Old September 18, 2017, 02:56 PM   #24
Model12Win

Quite frankly, "yer doin' it wrong".

Nobody I know does this. In fact it is widely known to be detrimental to some design such as the M1911A1.

Loading from the magazine will avoid any of these problems. You need to change your habits, that's all there is to it.
Old September 18, 2017, 03:18 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

In the 1911, the extractor is it's own spring. It's not a problem with a properly fitted extractor.