The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 13, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Gbodyolds

Full Auto 10/22

I would like to know if it is possible to convert a Ruger 10/22 to full auto? i would also like to know if this can be done as a select fire full auto? anyone know of a website i can see info on this ? or have some instructions i can see. is this something i need to have parts made for or can i buy the conversion parts from someone and just install them?
Old April 13, 2005, 10:30 AM   #2
shaggy

You cannot legally convert a weapon to full auto. You can buy a registered 10-22 full auto trigger pack, but they are few and far between and will run you about $6000-8000.
Old April 14, 2005, 12:23 AM   #3
3 weelin geezer

Depends on where you live. Just look for '10-22 full auto' or conversions and there are many books that show how. For the states it is for academic study only but for you it may not. Good luck I sure could use something like that. I just bought my second 10-22.
Old April 14, 2005, 12:57 AM   #4
shaggy

Quote:
Depends on where you live. Just look for '10-22 full auto' or conversions and there are many books that show how. For the states it is for academic study only but for you it may not. Good luck I sure could use something like that. I just bought my second 10-22.
Yeah...

Just keep in mind its up to a 10 year prison sentence for a felony conviction of the NFA & 922(o), IIRC. You also lose the right to vote and the right to possess a gun legally ever again.

If you want a full auto, do it legally. Its much cheaper than hiring a lawyer to defend you on a felony.
Old April 14, 2005, 02:23 AM   #5
Powderman

Forgive me for being blunt.

What you are proposing to do is illegal--PERIOD.

You are asking how to break the law. Hopefully, you will NOT find the advice how to do it on this site.

Moreover, be advised that there are some on this site who take a VERY dim view of those who ask how to break the law. Appropriate action--to include the notification of applicable law enforcement agencies--is not out of the question.

If you are sincerely asking out of ignorance, the best people to ask are here:

www.atf.gov

Otherwise, you're begging for prison time. End of story.
Old April 14, 2005, 07:52 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

What they're all saying is that if you live in the USA it's illegal to build a new FA 10/22. Other countries may be different.
Old April 14, 2005, 09:30 AM   #7
Whiskey Tango

Since you don't seem to be getting anywhere with you question other than knowing lawful firearm owners shun anyone thinking of breaking laws, you have 3 options:
  1. Go to www.hellfiretriggers.com and buy the Auto Burst. I have no idea how it works, but it maintains the BATFE regulations of one round her pull
  2. Learn how to bump fire from the hip
  3. Go to www.gatlingguns.com buy 2 10/22, and make a BATFE compliant gatling gun, which still maintains the one round per trigger pull regulation

I say 3 because you probably aren't looking for a several thousand dollar Class III, so those are legal ways to have 'auto' fire.
Don't bother buying something out of country, big brother is watching, even more so with the Patriot Act.
Old April 14, 2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Gbodyolds

not looking to brake any laws here i was under the impression that in certian states you can have full auto weapons i was on vacation a few years ago in one of the southern states (alabama if i remember right) went to a firing range and rented a full auto rifle and fired it all day i just assumed since they had it there it was legal to buy, i never really studied the legalitys of guns, is there a site i can read about gun laws ?
Old April 14, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

It's easy with MGs. You can only purchase a machinegun that was legally registered prior to May, 1986. You have to do federal paperwork to accomplish it along with paying a $200 transfer tax. The cheapest legal machinegun you can currently buy are Mac-10/11's for around $3,000 each.

Here is a good place for infomation on the laws: Bardwell's NFA FAQ .
Old April 14, 2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Modifications to a 10/22

Gbodyolds, I trust you have a pretty clear picture by this time, but I'll belabor the point just a bit further.

Since three of your four posts to date deal with alterations/ modifications/ accessorizing the Ruger 10/22, I'll guess this is your major area of interest. Your fourth post deals with a possibly expensive restoration of an inexpensive shotgun. This all tends to indicate that you are still a novice with firearms.

Sir, you are most welcome on TFL, to learn and grow in your new knowledge. You'll find that most members here are eager to help the new enthusiasts, and also that they'll try to help you keep from running afoul of the various laws.

Sometimes a question is asked, "CAN such-and-such be done?" Frequently, the answer is "Yes, BUT . . ." None of us want to see a new person get into legal troubles by use of information garnered on TFL. Sometimes, the advice you receive (No, NO, DON'T DO THIS THING!) may seem a little strident. Believe me, this is out of concern for you and for us as well. YOU don't need legal problems, and TFL in general doesn't need bad publicity.

In line with the "Yes, BUT - -" answers - - I note your probable location. The "Authorities" in many large cities are very sensitive to modification of sporting arms which leads to the appearence or general effect of machine gunnery. Some modifications which might be perfectly acceptable in certain localities could possibly draw unwelcome attention in, say, the New York City or Boston metro areas. It wouldn't be the first time that installing a (n entirely legal) hand crank rapid fire device was misinterpreted, resulting in a lot of legal red tape.

Thanks to the other members who have given good counsel to the new member, on ways to avoid legal problems.

Best to all.
Johnny
Old April 14, 2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Gbodyolds

I am fairly new to guns in general I have been shooting for about 5 years or so but always my friends guns we just target shoot for the most part. I never really thought much about it, went out had some fun and went home but in recent months have I started looking in to getting my own I don't mean to sound stupid by not knowing what's legal and what's not, im just inexperienced
where can I find out what the legality's are in different states and how to get permits or what ever else is necessary to have fire arms legally

so while I'm here can someone tell me what the hell is a choke tube it ? I see all these places selling them no clue what their for
Old April 14, 2005, 10:11 PM   #12
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
where can I find out what the legality's are in different states and how to get permits or what ever else is necessary to have fire arms legally
Federal Laws: ATF P 5300.4 - Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2000

State Laws: ATF P 5300.5 State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms

Choke tubes are devices inserted into the end of a shotgun barrel to alter the dispersal of the shot.
Old April 14, 2005, 10:11 PM   #13
grey_pilgrim

For places to find stuff out about title 2 firearms, i suggest:

http://www.nfaoa.org/

and

www.titleii.com

Most shotguns have a choke at the end of the barrel. THis choke is a constriction which will make the shot pattern smaller (Read: more pellets in a smaller area). This helps for long range shooting, or instances in which the tradeoff of "area affect" for pellets per unit area is worth it (IE, in big game hunting with buckshot). Most modern shotguns are fitted with choke tubes. These screw into the muzzle and allow the shooter to change chokes. For example, i can switch from a cylinder choke for shooting slugs, to a skeet choke for shooting skeet, to a full choke for deer, instead of having to buy different barrels. I'm not sure how many years ago they came out with choke tubes, but a gun older than 20 years likely does not have choke tubes.

As a friendly tip, it might help people think better of you if you used periods.
Old April 15, 2005, 12:13 AM   #14
jonathon

Just out of curiousity, why is it in gun mags you always see in the ad pages something about "legal full auto"?
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 15, 2005, 09:56 AM   #15
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
the ad pages something about "legal full auto"?
Because some full autos are legal, if you are willing to fork over the money. I currently have three. If Gbodyolds really wants a full auto 10/22, he can buy a legal one. HERE is a full auto trigger group for the Ruger 10/22 that is for sale. Perfectly legal. Just do the Form 4 transfer and it is his.
Old April 20, 2005, 05:38 PM   #16
guntotin_fool

Johnny Guest gave you some good advice. I will add somemore if I may.

As with many things asking a question "can I..".the answer is almost always yes you can, if you can afford to either pay the price or the time.

yes you can make almost anything full auto, or silenced or whatever if you through enough money at it. and I mean serious money too, If you do it the legal route, most NFA or full auto things are going for at least five grand, some a bit less most are a lot more, I personally know of the tranfer of a 1/4 million dollar minigun. YUP $250,000 for a toy. For a toy that will cost you about 1200 a minute to run, just for ammo, not counting replacement barrels etc.

There are also the questions of "should I ... which scare us immensly too, We are not here to make fun of, or belittle, nor intimidate, but some newbie questions just flat out scare us. I liken it to a highschool kid who says "I went 10 miles over the limit today...now I want to put a blown 454 in my chevy cavalier and really see what fast is."

Or that first taste of beer was good, let me drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and try to drive home.

Take your time ask questions and try to understand we want you here, we are just scared of being asked to break the laws sometimes.
Old April 20, 2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Lawyer Daggit

Subject to where you are, what you are proposing to do is illegal.

Before they were restricted in Australia, I had a 10/22- the sear had worn down and would occasionally machine gun- having a magazine rip of like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- is a pointless exercise.
Old April 20, 2005, 06:32 PM   #18
WillBrayjr

If you are looking for cheap full-auto, then buy an airsoft gun and be done with it
Old April 21, 2005, 11:32 PM   #19
jcnesqmba

full auto

Yeah full auto is fun to fantasize about but we are not in a war, and you can pull the trigger pretty fast if you tried. You might be better off with a slower rate of fire and save your self from being smoked while reloading (which does have a very distinct sound, and for BG's with some instinct, will snap at the opportunity).

Smith & Wesson M910
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Camp 9 Carbine
Winchester Defender 1300
Smith & Wesson 642 Hammerless Snubie
Yugo SKS M59

Dzrod Bumble Bee
Old April 22, 2005, 12:29 AM   #20

This has been mentioned, but you can't trust a lot of what you read on the internet.
Per federal law, it is perfectly legal to have a Ruger 10/22 that is full auto. However, the only legal way for you to convert your 10/22 to full auto is by buying an already registered trigger. You can't just start tinkering around with your gun: you have to buy a registered trigger from an NFA dealer.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 22, 2005, 10:22 AM   #21
Edward429451

The only stupid question is the one you do not ask. He got good realistic answers too. Don't do it.

I suspect its just a phase he's going through. I went through the same phase, bought the Paladin book and never did it. It is an interesting read and has some real good pics in it. It's soo involved and soo illegal, and would be such a waste of ammo that thats all it turned out to be was an interesting read.

Gunzines will suck you into all sorts of weird ideas...and now, the net.

Just keep reading and thinking and asking questions. And heeding these good peoples advice here!
Old April 22, 2005, 10:42 AM   #22
3 weelin geezer

So those books actually have some good readable photos or are they merely poorly drawn experimental sketches on the back of a bar room napkin?
Old April 22, 2005, 11:07 AM   #23
Edward429451

It's got step by step instructions, material list, machinist drawings & templates, comparison photos, test procedures, and all sorts of stuff. It's very detailed and actually looks viable but that don't mean squat.

It didn't look like anything someone could bang out in their basement, or at least not me. It's called 'The Ruger 10/22 exotic weapons System' I don't know if its still in print or not. Paladin Press.

To me, the best thing about this book is the spirit of resistance. "They" don't want me to have it and that just gives me the warm fuzzies all over.

Who needs FA anyway? Not me. I suspect it'd be novel and fun for a very short while and then gather dust only to be taken out to impress the friends once in awhile. Eh. Now 6000 dollars worth of ammo? That'd be useful.
Old April 22, 2005, 01:38 PM   #24
Edward429451

Now that I think about it, they had a really nifty dual recoil spring setup on it. The 10/22 recoil spring (which holds the bolt in battary) only gives pressure on one side of the bolt, making it possible for the bolt to be just a little cockeyed and a potential for an out of battary detonation in FA mode?

Anyway, what it amounted to was an additional factory recoil spring on a newly fashioned or modified factory rod (can't remember). and a hole is drilled into the bolt charging handle for the front of the externally mounted additional one with a small angle iron screwed to the stock with its own hole for the rear to ride holding the right side mounted recoilspring in place. doubling the feed thrust, holding the bolt more straight, reducing recoil (?), and improving overall function (?) and safety. The second spring is easily removed by just pulling it back a little and levering it out of position. With it installed, you're pretty much limited to high velocity Stingers and such.

Even without the FA, this was a reasonable idea I thought. I was going to do this portion of it but, back burnered it as a 'probably don't need it for semi auto anyway' thing.
Old April 22, 2005, 02:06 PM   #25
vidme

talk to guys at Small Arms Review magazine

they know the real score. YOu can form a corporation that can do what you can't do as an individual, in some cases. This can help with the problem of your local cop not wanting to sign off on your requested permit. Even where states preclude individual ownership or manufacture, a guy with a Class II manufacturer's license can make full auto guns "for sale to law enforcement, the military, or other Class III dealers". That license costs a LOT less than an individually transferable full auto gun costs.