The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 6, 2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Elk Optics For Tikka T3x

Hey gang!

Long time no talk!

Let's rehash a fun topic for the 12 millionth iteration, eh?

I picked me up a Tikka T3x chambered in (what everyone I've talked to knows is) my favorite cartridge... 7mm-08.

I was going to transfer my Minox ZX5 5-25 to it so I could save the $$$... but it seems a shame to put a 29 ounce scope on less than 6 lb Gun.

So, what say you? Let's keep it cheap(ish), I won't set a price though just so we can argue over "cheap".

I'd like to be like 3-9 maybe but I might not scoff at other suggestions.

Let 'er rip!
Old September 6, 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

Leupold 3-9x40.
Old September 6, 2017, 07:07 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You know, that's the first thing that came to my mind and I was expecting as one of the first responses.
Old September 6, 2017, 07:36 PM   #4
redline494

Budget minded, Redfield Revolution. 3-9x40, or 4-12x40. I have both and can't really seem to find a fault with them.
Old September 6, 2017, 07:50 PM   #5
taylorce1

I like the Leupold 3-9X40 VX1 and VX2 scopes, and you'll probably like them as well. However if you like your Minox scope like I love my Minox Binoculars, then you might try the Minox ZV3 3-9X40. I've thought about trying one, but if I buy one I'll need a new rifle as I have everything scoped and a few spares laying around.
Old September 6, 2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Any love for a Zeiss Terra 3x 3-9x42?
Old September 6, 2017, 08:54 PM   #7
mikejonestkd

Its hard to go wrong with a Leupold VX-II or a VX-IIIi in 3-9 x 40.

I have used a good number of scopes from different manufacturers over the past few decades, and keep finding myself ending up with Leupolds like above or similar quality scopes.
Old September 6, 2017, 09:06 PM   #8
jmr40

At a similar price point I like the VX-2 with long range dots a little better than the Zeiss Terra. But the Terra isn't a bad scope at all. If you like it better you could do a lot worse. It is always compared to the Conquest that it replaced. It isn't as good, but still not bad.

If you COULD get your hands on one of the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40's you'd have one of the best sub $500 scopes I've ever seen. They show up from time to time. That model was actually made by Meopta and sold under several different names. Cabelas used to carry it under their Euro-instinct line up. But no more. I am so impressed by that scope that I'd seriously look at other Meopta scopes if i needed another right now.

On a budget, the Burris FF-II is darn near as good as the VX-2 and in some ways better, certainly a step up from VX-1. MSRP is around $200, but I've seen them closer to $160 on Amazon. I wouldn't feel the least bit handicapped with a Burris FF-II.

Leupold will be the lightest at around 11 or 12 oz. The Burris is about 13 IIRC and the Zeiss about 15 oz. I may be off an ounce or so since I'm working from memory and didn't want to take the time to verify.

Winston Churchill
Old September 6, 2017, 09:20 PM   #9
Don Fischer

Redfield 2-7x. I've got two, love'em.
Old September 6, 2017, 10:02 PM   #10
DPI7800

I personally say the Nightforce SHV line is great, at least for my idea of budget scope.
Old September 6, 2017, 10:49 PM   #11
lefteye

Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x Matte Finish is available at MidwayUSA for $399.99 and ships free. I've used the earlier model of this scope, the Vari-X III, for nearly all of my rifle hunting with a .243, .270, and .300 Win Mag (identical scopes on three different rifles.) I always carried the rifle with the scope set at 2.5x. This really paid off when my guide and I spotted a big 5x5 elk walking toward us on a mountain trail just west of the continental divide in the Bob Marshall wilderness. One shot at no more than 25 yards. There are better optics at higher prices but I would never carry a rifle on a hunt with a scope having more than a 3-9x magnification. I am, of course, referring to a "big game hunt", not a prairie dog shoot.

Last edited by lefteye; September 6, 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old September 6, 2017, 11:05 PM   #12
Water-Man

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40.
Old September 7, 2017, 08:29 AM   #13
LOLBELL

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10. Last week while in the gun shop Leopold had a pretty good sale going on.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:29 PM   #14
Husqvarna

a light rifle allows you to use a heavier scope so you could use the scope you have

without knowing the type of area you are hunting in I am going to go with an allround option

1,5-6x42 or similar is the most allround IMO, I love my nikon monarch
Old September 7, 2017, 05:52 PM   #15
taylorce1

I didn't realize Brian moved! He used to be in NY if memory serves, and I was going to say the majority of where he hunts was Upstate NY. Now he'll hunt anything from wide open high mesa to steep mountains with extreme elevations changes, and dark timber. While I agree adding nearly 2 lbs of scope to a 6 lbs rifle doesn't make for an extremely heavy rifle, the lighter he can keep it the better especially in the terrain he's likely to encounter.

Another thing about a heavy scope on a light rifle it tends to make the rifle to want to fall over when resting in bags on the bench. Not a big deal to some people, but you have to figure you're changing some handling characteristics when adding an extra 1/4 your total weight right above your action. It wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if it the weight was added along the entire length of the rifle.
Old September 7, 2017, 10:15 PM   #16
std7mag

Brian!
Long time no hear! And you moved to Colorado! Lucky boy!

Back to the subject at hand...

For quite a while i had a Redfield Revenge on my Stevens 200, 7mm-08. It is now wearing a Vortex Crossfire II. Albeit a little more power than i would reccomend for hunting.

On the wife's rifle however is the near perfect scope for ya.
Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X 42.
Sight in at 200 yards and hold the BDC on target and let fly.
She regularly pings center on steel turkey out to 500 yards.
$169 ish.
Old September 8, 2017, 10:30 AM   #17
SA1911

My 7MM Rem Mag has a Leupod Vari-X II 4 x 12 x 40 AO atop her.

I would give a Leupold 2.5 x 8 a serious look.

A huge scope ain't necessary hunt elk.

Binos are most important than a scope. You'll spend hours glassing & maybe 5 minutes looking through your scope. On my last elk hunt, I looked through my 4 x 12 x 40 for as long as it took me to drop a bull of a lifetime.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Gents,

Yes indeed, I did finally make my long anticipated move to CO. Sadly, it was too late to be considered a resident for last years season and with looking for work and (somewhat unfortunately) finding some I ultimately didn't have the time, nor desire to spend $654 on a non-res tag.

Unfortunately, our housing situation is fluid and my reloading equipment never got set up. Honestly {donning fire resistant suit} I would have happily used my .243AI except I don't have enough loaded ammo to both verify sight-in and hunt. Besides which, that gun is near on 11 pounds as set up.

So, I was ---eh hem--- "required" to purchase another rifle.

Back to the subject at hand, after reading advice here, many reviews online and handling (and peeping through) numerous scopes side by side in store, I made the decision.

I looked at several Nikon options, 3 or so Vortex, both vx-II and III Luepold, a couple of Bushnell and a Burris or two and the Zeiss Terra 3x.

I really wanted to keep it under $300 and the Terra impressed me with it's (apparent) build quality and clarity, as subjectively compared eyeballing things in the store. To top it off, it was on sale for $249.

I managed to get it out for a (very brief!) test run before work yesterday.

Having popped in my .308/.243/7-08 laser bore sight, which I had previously calibrated to be very close at 100 yards, I was pleasantly surprised by the first 3 shots. (See pic). Shot 1 was the low right. 2 and 3 almost touching above and the 4th after an adjustment 4 clicks left. This was with the cheapest ammo I could find on the shelf, though by no means junk, Hornady Customlite Reduced Recoil 120gr SST. What do 3 shots tell me? Only that it's fun to shoot.

I had promised the kiddos some time with the Neos and I had to go to work, so that was sadly all the chance I had.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RenderedContent-F2834F4E-4FB9-45DB-8FE4-FF4175FE2DCB.JPG (80.5 KB, 192 views)
Old September 8, 2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Ricklin

You did good

Sounds like you got a great scope at a great price.

For inexpensive I like Bushnell, not the wally world Bushnell. The Bushnell Elite series is still made in Japan AFAIK. The elite series are a very good scope my .270 wears a 3X9 Elite. The rainguard coating is great here in the wet ol PNW.
Old September 8, 2017, 05:05 PM   #20
std7mag

Hmm...

I may have to take a look at the Terra also.
Not real happy with my Diamondback "tactical".
Old September 8, 2017, 06:20 PM   #21
Scorch

Hi Brian!
I will fall back to my standard recommendation for a lightweight scope: Leupold VX-3 2.5-8. I have 3 of them now, and I still like them. But I have been eyeing a few Zeiss scopes lately . . .