The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2017, 10:05 PM   #1
rmocarsky

caliber comparison

Gunners,

I am going on a deer/hog/black bear hunt in NC next year.

The shots will likely be 100 yds. and under.

I am taking my Ruger SBH for the hogs and will try to get the outfitter to put me in a archery stand so my shots should be about 50 yards and less. the .44 has an ultra dot sighted in to 50 yds.

For the deer and bear, my question is this I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem with a 4X scope and a Remington 7600 in 30.06 with a 3 to 10X scope.

The Marlin is my favorite and first rifle ever owned by me and I prefer it because it is a carbine and lighter more handy than the 30.06.

I was just wondering at 100 yards or less, just how much more will the .06 outperform the .35 and is it enough to supersede the Marlin?

Also, the 30.06 is more accurate, but at that range I think that won't be a factor.

Rmocarsky
Old August 30, 2017, 10:40 PM   #2
emcon5

Quote:
I was just wondering at 100 yards or less, just how much more will the .06 outperform the .35 and is it enough to supersede the Marlin?
Not enough to matter.
Old August 30, 2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Scorch

Sure, the 30-06 outperforms the 35 Remington, but at that range it matters not at all. Dead is dead! Shoot whichever one you feel like shooting.
Old August 30, 2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Water-Man

I hunted deer & bear for many years using a .35 Remington. It's more than enough. If that's the rifle you're most comfortable with, use it without hesitation.
Old August 31, 2017, 01:16 AM   #5
jmr40

Hit a deer/bear/hog with any of them and the results will be the same. I'd take the one that made hitting the target easier. That would eliminate the revolver for me. But I understand that lots of guys just want the challenge. It'll kill stuff, but if you are asking about the most efficient tool for the job it isn't.

The key to hitting game in thick woods even at close range is pinpoint accuracy and laser flat trajectory. The deer/bear/hog/ may only be 50 yards away, but with only a baseball size opening to the vitals between tree branches.

With traditional lever action cartridges zeroed at 100 yards your bullet will be 1.5-2" above or below line of sight between the muzzle and 100 yards and around 2 MOA accuracy is typical. None of that is a problem in the open at ranges out to around 200 yards. But in thick woods the arched trajectory and mediocre accuracy increase the odds of hitting brush between you and the target.

A flat shooting accurate rifle like the 30-06 zeroed at 100 yards will have the bullet no more than 1/2" above or below line of sight out to about 130 yards. Combined with better accuracy you greatly decrease the chances of hitting brush between you and the target. There is no such thing as a "brush busting" cartridge. They all deflect when brush is encountered, it is best to shoot through openings in the brush. A decent quality scope also makes it far easier to make hits in poor light in heavy woods at dawn and dusk.

Winston Churchill
Old August 31, 2017, 11:07 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

There really is no caliber comparison. However, a 150 grain bullet out of an '06 sighted in .7" high at 100 will drop just 2.9" out at 250 yards. A 150 out of a .35 Rem sighted in at 100 will drop 18.2" at 250.
In any case, aside from how much time you have, use the rifle you can shoot best with the ammo you plan on hunting with.
The Ruger is plenty for deer and bear too. Assuming you can hit the 9" pie plate every time at 50 yards.
Old August 31, 2017, 11:29 AM   #7
zipspyder

Quote:
Sure, the 30-06 outperforms the 35 Remington, but at that range it matters not at all. Dead is dead! Shoot whichever one you feel like shooting.
This...don't over think it. Both will work just fine.
Old August 31, 2017, 12:02 PM   #8
FITASC

Personally, I would be using that lever gun in those hogs too; that armor-plating they have on the shoulders is tough stuff.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2017, 03:07 PM   #9
ShootistPRS

You could do all your hunting with the 44 at reasonable ranges but the 35 Remington is more than enough at 100 yards. It would also be great on the hogs if you decide the hogs are too far to use the 44 effectively.
Old August 31, 2017, 06:33 PM   #10
rmocarsky

OP here,

I always take rifle and revolver afield together.

I have a Primos Trigger Stick.

That coupled with the Untradot (if I am seated) makes the .44 very accurate at 50 yards and less.

I have not tried further than 50 yards. If it is further, that's when the rifle comes into action.

Rmocarsky
Old August 31, 2017, 07:27 PM   #11
alex0535

I've put enough deer on the ground with a Marlin 336 in .35 that I trust it. They might not all drop where they were shot but they never make it far, I have never lost one shot by it. A .35" hole and a .5-1" exit wound leaves a nice big blood trail with minimal meat damage.

A saw 2 deer shot by someone else at 100 yards with a more violently expanding .30-06 round, and the exit wound on one was the size of a grapefruit, the better part of a shoulder was dog food. Both fell where they were standing.
Old September 1, 2017, 12:37 PM   #12
RC20

A 30-06 at 100 yards on a deer is like dropping an atomic bomb on a tank.

So rather than a deficit, think of your 35 Rem as a fine anti tank gun, call it the famous German 88mm.

30-06 is huge overkill, 35 is perfect for that sort of shooting.

You don't drop an atomic bomb to do in one tank and you don't need a 30-06 for that deer either.

don't get me wrong, drop it way down to a 130 grain bullet and slow it up and it would work, but the 35 was made for that mission.
Old September 2, 2017, 06:59 PM   #13
Kachok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
A 30-06 at 100 yards on a deer is like dropping an atomic bomb on a tank.
Agreed, the first time I saw my 30-06 leave a 9.5" wide crater through a deer I decided that maybe it was a bit if an overkill inside woods range. I downsized to a 6.5x55 and a 7mm-08, no deer has ever lived long enough to notice the difference.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:15 AM   #14
RC20

I shot a Caribou in the fog with a 7mm, 75 yards at the most, made an awful mess.

I salvaged most of the far shoulder meat, turned into stew and burger. Took a lot of work.

On the other hand you could find yourself with a fine 450 yard shot as they run in the open. Two other shots out in the 250 to 300 yard area. My brother shot one at a paced 450 yards. Just had to do the best you could (bear were also a possible issue so the heavy hitting was a safety factor)

MY dad hunted deer with a 30-06, but that was his only gun (not sure why he did not use the 270 my mom had)

It started out as a moose gun, got moved, then deer, but you never knew what you would run into.

With careful shot placement you could avoid damage to meat areas.

Given the choice though you are far better off with a caliber that suits the game and distances.
Old September 3, 2017, 12:13 PM   #15
eastbank

pick the right bullet for the job and go with the Remington, I shoot a rem pump carbine with a 165gr nosler bullet a 2700 fps, shoot then thru the lungs. leave the front shoulder and arse alone, and you will not lose any meat. eastbank.
Old September 3, 2017, 05:03 PM   #16
RC20

You can't always pick the angle of the shot.

Mine were almost all lung shots, but due to angles some of the other side quarter got hit.

You might not get another sh0ot for the season, so you take (in my case) what you had and did the best with it.

Less damage the better, though a lot can be cleaned up and stew is good.

35 Remington is designed for that kind of hunting.

And of interest, I found a 114 Remington Pump in 35 Remington for sale.

It has the shell insert in the stock. Wish I had a need for it, nice gun.