The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 23, 2012, 07:43 AM   #26
dayman

Quote:
I didn't realize I had cut in front of the same guy the second time until after I did it. The driver of the other vehicle did not have to hit his brakes either time.
How did you not see who you were cutting in front of, but know that the hole was big enough and manage to notice that he didn't hit his breaks? I'd think after the first confrontation you'd remember the guys car.
I would have slowed down and let him pass after the first time he got all up upset. Mouthing "sorry" usually goes a long way too.

And I do find it a little worrisome that being yelled at in traffic made you decide you need to be more heavily armed. You didn't need your .38, you wouldn't have needed a riot gun either. Careful driving and some conflict avoidance (talk to your wife about when waving is appropriate) would do much more to avoid repeats of the situation than a bigger gun would.

I've also thought a flashing "sorry" sign you could activate on the rear window would be a good idea for cars in general. I'd think a lot of conflict could be avoided that way.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:45 AM   #27
wayneinFL

Quote:
"I have crappy friends." So, you willingly, and habitually hang around with lowlifes? You're known by the company you keep, ever hear that one? Lose the crappy friends and associate with respectable company. It ain't hard to do.
It continues to amaze me how some of the "respectable" people I've known will react to other people in a vehicle, or in a confrontation.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:57 AM   #28
wayneinFL

Quote:
Be careful on the road: here's a case in point and a true story. Here in Reno Nev. during the Clinton administration, a Federal agent with a history of being involved in road rage incidents had an incident that turned out to be his last.

Unknown to him, the "other guy" was a down and outer, had broken up with his girlfriend, and was in the process of leaving town on 395 S. bound N. of Reno. Tony, the agent, followed the individual who went E. on I80 and took an exit at the Nugget. The agent's car bumped into him at the stop sign. The agent, got out of his car and was in the process of calling in the accident on his cell phone when the occupant of the car came up and shot him with a .22 cal. handgun. The assailant then took the agent's .40 cal pistol and shot him to death. Then he took his own life. All this witnessed by bystanders from the overpass above.

When one relative was notified of Tony's death, he replied "Tony ran into the wrong guy this time, didn't he?"
Here's another one. Guy probably wouldn't have had as much of a problem if he had reported the shooting.

Quote:
Federal agent charged at elderly man as he was shot, expert says
November 2, 2012|By Rafael Olmeda, Sun Sentinel
The federal agent who was killed in a confrontation with a dialysis patient following a road rage incident in Pembroke Pines four years ago may have been running toward the shooter at the time he was struck down, Broward County's former chief medical examiner testified Friday.

Donald Pettit, 52, was shot in the head in a manner consistent with the idea of him running toward James Patrick Wonder, then 65, in the parking lot of a Pembroke Pines post office on Aug. 5, 2008, said Dr. Ronald Wright, a forensic pathologist hired by the defense to bolster Wonder's claim of self-defense.

But under cross examination from prosecutor Chuck Morton, Wright conceded that the trajectory of the bullet might also be consistent with Pettit seeing the gun and trying to turn away from a deadly attack.

Wonder is trying to get a manslaughter charge tossed before trial on the basis of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which permits the use of deadly force in situations where a reasonable person would be in fear of death or serious bodily injury.

Wright was one of two witnesses who testified Friday. The first, Karen Samra, is director of nursing at the two dialysis centers Wonder visited the day of and the day after the shooting. She told defense lawyer Frank Maister that Wonder's condition included a surgically placed and highly vulnerable "fistula" on his arm that helps the dialysis process but must be handled delicately at all times.

An aggressive grabbing of his arm could have burst the fibula and killed Wonder in short order. Maister and his co-counsel, Michael Entin, are likely to argue next week that Wonder was protecting himself from the possibility of a fatal injury that might not have proved fatal to the average person.

Samra also said that Wonder's blood pressure and heart rate were too high on the day of the shooting to allow for dialysis treatment, which is why he visited a center in Davie the very next day for another appointment.

She told prosecutor Michelle Boutros that Wonder complained on the day of the shooting that he had almost been killed when another driver ran a red light.

Wonder is expected to testify before Broward Circuit Judge Bernard Bober on Monday.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...alysis-patient
Old December 23, 2012, 08:00 AM   #29
CurlyQ.Howard

Your buddy's being calm and stating, "are you threatening me?" won the day; however, I'd let him know not to flip the bird from here on out.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:00 PM   #30
Mr. James

armed_librarian,

My response last night was a bit brusque, and rather self-righteous. I apologize for my e-dyspepsia.

Most of us here are well mannered!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old December 23, 2012, 03:29 PM   #31
Win73

Quote:
How did you not see who you were cutting in front of, but know that the hole was big enough and manage to notice that he didn't hit his breaks? I'd think after the first confrontation you'd remember the guys car.
I would have slowed down and let him pass after the first time he got all up upset. Mouthing "sorry" usually goes a long way too.

And I do find it a little worrisome that being yelled at in traffic made you decide you need to be more heavily armed. You didn't need your .38, you wouldn't have needed a riot gun either. Careful driving and some conflict avoidance (talk to your wife about when waving is appropriate) would do much more to avoid repeats of the situation than a bigger gun would.
You people are doing a good job of trying to put words in my mouth. I did not say he didn't hit his brakes. What I said was he didn't need to. He could have. Since I was in front of him I couldn't see his tail lights. I sped up when I moved over to prevent any such necessity.

After the left turn I observed him for a few seconds in my rear view mirror. Since I was in a strange large city, I then focused my attention on the traffic in front of me and on watching for route signs. I figured the incident was over.

And mouthing sorry to him? To do that I would have had to stick my head and shoulders out the window and look back. Do you seriously think I am going to do that while driving in heavy traffic?

And when I saw that I was going to have to make a right turn, I began just watching for a break in traffic large enough for me to safely move from the left lane into the right lane. I wasn't trying to identify cars. I had to make a quick decision because the intersection was less than a block away.

I assure you that is in no way the only reason I go move heavily armed now. I will have my .38 or .380 on me with my 9 mm or .45 in the vehicle. And no I don't carry a riot gun around with me. (Although I did while a police officer.)

Conflict avoidance? Have you ever faced another man with a gun? Have you ever looked down the wrong end of a double barreled shotgun? I have. But I was able to get him to put the gun down without shooting him. If I had shot him it would have a justifiable shooting.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Last edited by Win73; December 23, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Enough (too much) bickering.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread