The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2015, 01:47 AM   #1
Pistol 14

What does this video tell us?

This is very unsafe but I think it tells us a lot about Hi Points and reloading. I joined this forum to get your comments on this. Please check it out. Oh and by the way, I've learned so much from you guys. Thank you all.

https://youtu.be/xmt5QB814Tw
Old September 23, 2015, 03:02 AM   #2
Clark

I watched it at double speed. [click on the gear icon and click on 2x speed]
To quote a mechanical engineering professor teaching engineering ethics at the University of Washington, "If the missile blows up on the launching pad, you don't learn much."

I always argued with that professor. If he were still alive 38 years later, I would call him up and and say, "That depends on the purpose of your test."

Remember high school science lab reports with that part called "purpose"?

Which brings us back to the video of Bob Boozy and his cousin Weenie in lab coats.
Their test plan was probably written in crayon.

A really smart engineer with lots of patents, would ask lesser engineers, "What are you trying to do?"
No matter what they said, he would as the same question again and again until the novice figured out what he was doing.

In the waste basket of life there are the efforts spent on ill defined tasks.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 23, 2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I learned that even with their green smocks those two rednecks aren't particularly fetching.

Other than that, nada.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 23, 2015, 07:29 PM   #4
9MMand223only

He DOUBLE charged that round ++, and it didn't even cause major damage to the gun.

we need a link to the guy on here that loaded titegroup powder in a rifle cartridge and hurt his hand. that is probaby 4x worse than what this guy did double + charging with bullseye.

Last edited by 9MMand223only; September 23, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old September 23, 2015, 08:11 PM   #5
WVMountaineer

It has to have been edited. That gun isn't a Glock. And, everyone here knows that only a Glock was designed to survive such abuse. Just ask the Glock fanboy cult that haunts every thread about a quality gun that isn't a Glock.

Besides, we all know that a gun has to have the price tag to go with the rep. Because the price tag says quality is built in. There is no way a more affordable gun could be built to survive such tests. Just ask the S&W fanboy cult that points out quality is defined by price.

So, this video had to be edited. God Bless
Old September 23, 2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Pistol 14

I guess that's my main reason for posting such a video. We get so worried about going over posted limits...and with good reason. But in reality the safe guards are really built in. I think we all have to admit that loading data is VERY conservative. You guys should check out some of there other torture test.
Old September 23, 2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Pistol 14

https://youtu.be/gfiXFyIbOZw

The above is a torture test on a milsurp mosin. I was again really surprised what the gun could handle.

For all the 38 special reloaders like myself, the books give us a 110 JHP at 1050 fps. Give me a break. Everyone one here knows that cartridge capacity is directly related to ballistics potential. So why does the 9 mm have better ballistics? Because it's supported by the gun industry. I can scoot a 170 grain cast at 1100 fps out of my 38 seven days a week. And twice on Sunday.
Old September 24, 2015, 05:08 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"For all the 38 special reloaders like myself, the books give us a 110 JHP at 1050 fps. Give me a break. Everyone one here knows that cartridge capacity is directly related to ballistics potential. So why does the 9 mm have better ballistics?"

That statement totally ignores the historic development of the two cartridges as the reason for why they are different, and as the reason for why they continue to be handled differently.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 24, 2015, 05:29 PM   #9
jmorris

Have to love a trigger pull that is heavier than a cinder block. I wonder if they damaged the s cheap vise containing the extra pressure as well...

Only part I missed was the "hold my beer" comment.
Old September 27, 2015, 01:35 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

never mind.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 28, 2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Sport45

Their videos pretty much only demonstrate in a very unscientific way that anything can be destroyed if you try hard enough.

Amusing, but otherwise a waste of time.
Old September 28, 2015, 08:25 AM   #12
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol 14
I think we all have to admit that loading data is VERY conservative.
NO we don't!

I don't and I will not!
Old September 28, 2015, 09:25 AM   #13
higgite

Quote:
What does this video tell us?
The first video told me I have to sign in to watch it. Not gonna happen.

The first 20 seconds of the second video told me that I'm glad I didn't sign in for the first video. I have no idea what the rest of it would have told me.
Old September 28, 2015, 10:21 PM   #14
Sport45

I'd like to know where they get the "range sweepings" powder they used to blow up the rifle. When I sweep up the brass at our range there's nothing with it but dirt/sand. Can't imagine it burning, let alone having enough energy to blow something up.
Old September 29, 2015, 10:30 AM   #15
Bucksnort1

All,

This video is a good lesson in case capacity and pressure. When they fired the gun without the baking flour in the case, the gun did not leave the vise. When they filled the extra space with the flour, the gun disappeared from the vise.