The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2015, 07:41 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Coming in late, I don't know anything about the Hornady device, but will comment on the "starting load" business.

Most manual "starting loads" are an arbitrary 90% of maximum. Not often a true minimum and not essential for safety.
Speer has long listed three loads, the middle value about 95% of maximum. I have never had any "pressure sign" from one of those middle range loads. I have seldom increased from that, either.

The OP is fine, no need for the scary stuff b
Old September 22, 2015, 10:37 PM   #27
Bucksnort1

Coyote, be sure to wear hearing and eye protection.
Old September 22, 2015, 10:42 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

C.O.L.

Using the COL of a factory round is not a sin, in my book. But it would behoove the OP to use the caliper and set the COL for what his load data book recommends.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; September 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Deleted some of my nonsense.
Old September 23, 2015, 08:37 PM   #29
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking for our knowledge and advice. It is wise to seek out assurance.

Reloading is not rocket science. It does involve smoke and flame and things that move terribly fast, so caution and attention to detail is warranted.

Having said that, if you can change a tire without loosing your lug nuts and bake a satisfactory cake without it going flat, you can reload.

My tutelage for reloading .357 Magnum consisted of 6 rounds. My mentor loaded three with narration while I watched with the opportunity to ask questions. Then I loaded three while he watched for anything I might do wrong.

I never felt a moment's trepidation about launching those bullets. The load recipes were well within the book parameters and the gun was brand new.

I still maintain the same level of care, caution and attention today as I did with the first rounds and all the rounds I have loaded on my own in the intervening 40 years.

I do not feel my bliss was due to ignorance. I do feel my blissful confidence is due to knowledge.

Thanks for asking for our knowledge and advice. It is wise to seek out assurance.

Be assured. Go forth and shoot.

If you must, tie your rifle to an old tire or mount it in a rest, tie a string to the trigger and stand far back behind a plywood barrier or something if you are truly worried. However, if you are THAT worried or unsure, better to pull the bullets and start over. Personally, I don't see any of this last paragraph as necessary.

Welcome to reloading.

Lost Sheep