The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1
sam67

Red Dot with 45 acp 230gr lead

Hello,
I'm new to loading and I'm in need of a little help. I'm using Red Dot and loading 230gr lead in 45 acp. My question is; in the loading manual it only gives one load for that bullet- 4.0 gr. There is no max load, but with plated bullets you can go up to 5.0 gr. Has anyone done this with lead bullets, and did it work out? At 4gr there doesn't seem to be quite enough push to completely load the next bullet. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance for your time!

Sam
Old May 18, 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Dallas Jack

Not trying to be rude but you would recieve more responses in the "Handloading and Reloading" section.
Dallas Jack
Old May 18, 2009, 12:17 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Moved to Handloading and Reloading.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Gregory Gauvin

Generally speaking, you can load lead up to the same listed charges as FMJ without pressure problems.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
sam67

Thanks

Thanks guys, not only do I need help with re loading, I also need help using this forum. Thanks again, I appreciate the help!
Sam
Old May 18, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6
45Marlin carbine

I use RD w/good results all cast slugs I load including .45acp (both revolver and semi) - that seems a little light for a semi-auto. try bumping up the charge loading 4 rounds at a time until you hit paydirt.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Shoney

sam67

WELCOME TO TFL!

I agree that 4.0gr RD is a lot weak. My data show start loads at 4.5 gr with max loads at 5.1gr.; using a minimum COL of 1.27".

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 18, 2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Death from Afar

I am a great beliver in having several loading manuals- you really get a good idea on what the limits are both ways in any given round....
Old May 18, 2009, 10:54 PM   #9
sam67

Thank you!

Thanks for all the good advise! I loaded up loads starting at 4.5gr 4.8 and 5 took them out and shot them with mixed results. With the 4.5gr the slide did not close all the way for the second shot so I would have to eject and let the next one in line fall in, same with the 4.8gr. Then with the 5gr all 4 shot and loaded with no problem. I do wonder way the slide doesn't close all the way? One other question is if I'm shooting lead do I need a gas check on the bullet? Thanks again for all the help!
In case it makes a difference I'm shooting a Kimber Eclipes Ultra 2
Sam
Old May 18, 2009, 11:29 PM   #10
zxcvbob

You don't need gas checks when loading for a pistol. *Maybe* for a magnum revolver loaded hot if the cylinder throats are a too tight (etc).

Red Dot is great with cast bullets. I don't load .45ACP, but I think your load is a little too light. You need closer to 5 grains, but work up slowly from about 4.4. You'll probably find the right load before you get to 5.0.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:10 AM   #11
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam67
I do wonder way the slide doesn't close all the way?
I have found that chambering a round when racking the slide isn't quite the same as when you fire the gun to chamber the next round. Some rounds will chamber quite well when you rack the gun, but I will get occasional FTF when shooting in semi automatic. Some will be the other way around.

What I will do is work up a load from minimum that will cycle the slide, and then adjust the COL until I have good feeding from both a hand cycled and semi-auto fired chambering.

When I find the "perfect" combination, I'll shoot it over a chrono to verify that the velocities are where you would expect, thus providing indirect data to show my pressures aren't too high.

One other thing you need to be sure of is that your technique is solid. No flinching, or limp-wristing. (That is the most common issue I have seen when at the range.)
Old May 20, 2009, 09:27 AM   #12
sam67

Thanks again for the help, this is a great resource!
Old May 20, 2009, 10:58 PM   #13
arizona98tj

I just checked the numbers on a bulk box of .45 ACP rounds I have sitting the shelf. They are loaded with 5.2 grains of Red Dot behind a 230 gr round plated bullet. Please note the powder I used had been curing on my shelf for about 25 years and so it had probably lost some of its strength over the years. That loads cycles my 4" XD45c just fine although it is a little light and velocity is about 10% down from military ball ammo.

I'm thinking you will be OK with your 5.0 grain loads.

Welcome to the wonderful word of reloading!