The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Dmanbass

Colt and Replica Lighter Springs Experience

With my Uberti being brand new I wanted to get a lighter action and looked into the lighter trigger and hammer springs. I bought the Colt SAA Main Springs Package and Hammer Spring Spacer from a popular supplier. Here was the info on their site: SPECS: Spring steel. For Colt Single Action and clones. Sold as a pack of three springs. Gunsmith fitting may be required on 3rd Generation Colts and various clones..
Here is what happened to me.
1) I will probably have to remove some metal from the main spring to prevent it from binding in the hammer recess because the new spring is longer.
2) Remove too much and I may experience misfires.
3) The "lighter" main spring looked and felt heavier than the original in my Uberti.
4) When installing the Hammer Spring Spacer (neoprene) the hammer spring screw would not go back on because the hole was no longer lined up. (more work needed)
5) The Hammer spring screw was no longer long enough to go in the hole anyway.
I ended up just using the original Main Spring and one of the "lighter" Trigger Springs that came in the $30 kit. At least that worked for me. I thought I noticed a lighter pull (it may have been wishful thinking at that point).

The kit can and will work, you just have to be prepared to do a lot more than install them. I thought I would post this here so anyone else thinking of this kit might see this and find out more than I did before buying them.
Old March 8, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Hawg

I've got a Uberti Cimarron somebody put a spring kit in. It has a light hammer pull and a nice trigger but the four clicks are muted. I don't like that. It's never failed to fire and I use CCI primers exclusively(they're the hardest). I also have a Uberti Cattleman that's never had anything done to it and while the hammer is a little heavier it's not bad and neither is the trigger. The four clicks are very distinct, which I like. I may put stock springs back in the Cimmy.
Old March 8, 2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Dmanbass

Yea, mines a Cattleman and I like the 4 clicks. I think I'll just leave her alone for a while before I screw something up. I have polished a few points in her though. The action is very smooth now. It's hard to leave them alone though, for me anyway.

I was asking about point of aim a while back here in the forum and I found out my Cattlemans aim is pretty darn good. At the range Thursday it was shooting straight and on the bulls eye for the most part. When I did my part anyway! With the front blade just a hair aboue the rear groove at 10 yards its dead on. Good enough for me.

Have you polished your Cattleman at all?
Old March 8, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Hawg

Nope. It's an older one imported by Stoeger I got it NIB and haven't done anything but shoot it. It could prolly benefit from being smoothed a tad but I'm not picky. As long as it's not rough I tend to let things smooth themselves out. Now my Rossi 92, well that's another story.
Old March 8, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Dmanbass

Sounds like a nice approach! Tell me about your Rossi, is it a SAA? I dont know much about them. I have a Uberti Cattleman a Ruger Blackhawk .357, a Taurus Tracker .357 and a little tiny H&R 9 shot .22 that doesnt always fire
Old March 8, 2008, 02:59 PM   #6
CraigC

I have not seen a spring kit that fits both Colt and replica SAA's. I see separate kits for the different manufacturers. Uberti springs have always dropped right into Uberti guns for me and the same for Colts. I always use the Heinie music wire trigger/bolt spring. I slick up all my single actions and install lighter springs. I have yet to experience any ignition problems using CCI primers almost exclusively. I don't give a damn what the clicks sound like, I want a smooth, light action and crisp trigger.
Old March 8, 2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Tell me about your Rossi, is it a SAA?
Rossi 92. Clone of a 92 Winchester lever action. Stiff and rough as a cobb out of the box. All I did with it was fill the action with white lithium grease and work the lever for a few hours(not at one time). You can chamber shells with one finger as fast as you want to now.
Old March 8, 2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Dmanbass

Thanks, is that lever action shotgun? By the way I use the lithium grease too, very good stuff!
Old March 9, 2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Hawg

No it's a carbine, Mine's 44-40 as are my pistols. The lever shotgun is a Winchester 1887. Mine is an original I grew up with. I wouldn't put it through a SASS match.

Old March 9, 2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Dmanbass

Very nice Hawg! Love the old look of both.

Your carbine looks a little like my Winchester "trapper" in .44 Magnum. I have a ton of fun with that one. I usually shoot .44 specials out of her to save my shoulder from the mags. I had a problem for 2 years with the feed jamming and finally fixed the last trip to the range when I apparently cut off just the right amount of loading spring. No jams at all now. And I had been throught the gunsmith replacing the spring with a new one, etc, etc. Sometimes it pays to try a few things on our own. (Sometimes) . These are legal for Cowboy action shooting right?

Which one is the shotgun the top or bottom picture? I am guessing the bottom one. How long have you been in SASS? Seems as if you have a great store of knowledge and I surely do appreciate you sharing it with us greenhorns.
Old March 9, 2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Hawg

The carbine is on top. I guess the AA box is a lil misleading for somebody not real familiar with the guns. They're legal. I've been a member of SASS over a year but to tell the truth I've never shot a match. Too much other stuff that comes first. One day tho. I know a good bit about the guns because they've always been my favorite type and I do shoot the ones I have a good bit. I know a good bit about SASS and CAS because I hang out a lot over at the SASS Wire.
Old March 9, 2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Dmanbass

I may see you there Hawg (SASS WIRE). I'll keep an eye out.
Old March 9, 2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Hawg

I'll be there. Same name as here.