The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1
azredhawk44

How to avoid scratches in dies?

This is very irksome to me... and becoming irksome to a friend of mine as well.

I've been through three or four sizer dies for my .308, and I've probably only loaded about 5k rounds. I keep developing scratches.

I'd tumble in walnut with a little bit of flitz for polishing. Wash the dust off in a tupperware sudsy water bath. Let them dry completely overnight. I've used Hornady one-shot spray lube, or I've recently started to use the RCBS lube pad with their supplied liquid lube.

For dies, I've been through: An RCBS .308, two Lee .308's, a Forster .308 and I'm now on an RCBS X-die in .308. Haven't scratched that one yet, but I've only done about 200 cases with it.

I'm now on .223 as well. I've done far fewer .223 and only have one die so far, a Lee sizer die. I've only sized about 300 cases with it, but it is starting to scratch the brass slightly.

At first I thought it was dust from tumbling, getting mixed in with the case lube. Nope.

Then I thought it was either too much or too little lube. Experimentation proved that wrong.

Then I thought it was the brand of lube (everyone hates one-shot), so I changed to a traditional lube pad. Nope.

I figured I needed to clean the dies after every session. Nope.

What's the scoop, folks? I don't have this problem with my pistol reloading... though those are carbide dies. I also don't have this problem with my .30-30 reloading, and I am dang-near reckless with the brass for that. My .30-30 die is an RCBS kit that I picked up used with God knows how many rounds reloaded in it, and I've done another 1500 or so with it, using one-shot for lube and not even rinsing the walnut dust off the cases after tumbling.

My friend just ruined his .223 sizer die and is sending it back to RCBS for polishing. He's getting ready to start up .308. He's also meticulous in his brass cleaning.

Who here has a .223 or .308 die that has lasted 10k sizing operations, and is master of the black magic art of maintaining a sizer die?
Old May 18, 2009, 09:37 PM   #2
rg1

I haven't scratched a die yet but I've had them pick up a spot of brass stuck to the die surface that scratched the brass. I've got a Hornady and RCBS 223 set that has both seen more than 5000 rounds. Also a RCBS that's seen that many rounds in 30-06. Like I said I have gotten a spot on the die where evidently a piece of brass stuck and it started picking up more brass as it sized more cases. The spot on the die surface looks like a spot on a barrel with copper fouling. I use some very fine polishing paper sometimes on a drill with a paper holder and sometimes with just a rod with the paper wrapped around it and by hand. I polish until the brass smear disappears. I've had to do this polishing 3-4 times I'm guessing, on the .223 and 30-06 dies. With very fine polishing paper you'd have to do a lot of polishing to change the inside diameter of the sizing die. After polishing I clean the die well. I use corn cob media, or wipe cases with a towel before sizing. I also use Dillion case lube and a case lube pad for applying the lube.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
F. Guffey

I use a towel on a dowel.

F. Guffey
Old May 18, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Gazzmann

I clean my dies about every 1K loads with a Q-tip and a small amount of bore cleaner.
Only run the moist Q-tip twice then polish with a dry ones until residue is removed and Q-tip comes out clean. This may take a few Q-tips.

If buildup is heavy I will use a nylon or brass bore brush, then follow up with Q-tip dipped in bore cleaner, then dry ones until it comes out clean.
I do this with all dies. All my everyday dies are carbide.
Do the same with steel dies.
John
Old May 18, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Dingoboyx

Azred

Yes your dies need cleaning. czfonz posted a thread yesterday called "cleaning dies" which is near the top in 'handloading/reloading section of TFL.

To save everyone having to type it all again, go look at this thread.... tons of good info & ideas in there
Old May 18, 2009, 10:25 PM   #6
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoboyx
Yes your dies need cleaning. czfonz posted a thread yesterday called "cleaning dies" which is near the top in 'handloading/reloading section of TFL.

To save everyone having to type it all again, go look at this thread.... tons of good info & ideas in there
Muzza you need to learn how to put in a link so that I can be lazy.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=358130
Old May 19, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Dingoboyx

Good i-direa skull

can you pm me how to add link some time
Old May 19, 2009, 09:23 AM   #8
jmorris

I use Dillon carbide size dies for .223 and .308 and have loaded many 1000's without "scratches".
Old May 20, 2009, 12:05 AM   #9
plainsman456

The only die i screwed up was a 223 rem,it's amazing what a drill bit can do in a short timebut that was a long time ago.Good Luck