The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1
oldironman

How is multi-stage accuracy?

Has anyone weighed out the powder charges that a turret dispenses and compared them to the accuracy of the weight to a what a single stage like a rock chucker dispenses? Would it be within 5%, 1%? I ask because after reading the "basics" sticky at the top I am trying to figure out which kind of loader to get. I want to get the best possible accuracy I can, because I will be loading hunting rounds for my rifle and my 44 mag pistol, but I will also be loading cheaper FMJ loads for general plinking with 44 special, 40 cal, and 38/357, and just maybe 9mm. Above, Dave mentions that if loading for a pistol, a turret might be the way. I kinda doubt I will ever get to the point of shooting 200 rounds a month, so I'm guessing that a single will not be that much work, BUT if a turret is just as accurate at dispensing gunpowder, then I would rather have that. I ordered The ABC's book already and it should be here Monday, so it might have the answers I am looking for, but if the choice is going to be clear anyway, I figured I might as well be on the lookout for a good used press so I will have one when I finish my homework. So, that's my first long and drawn-out question for you guys - just how accurate, or inaccurate, is a multi state (like the Lee Classic Turret) if you seriously compare it to a single (like the RCBS Rock Chucker)?

Also, what is meant by this quote from that post from DaveInGA
Quote:
However, the new Lee Classic Turret Press, capable of 200 rounds or better per hour, is beefy and may very well be a good choice for rifle as well as pistol.)
Is one meant for pistol and one for rifle? Thanks guys,

Mark
Old July 14, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2
amamnn

The accuracy of the powder charge dispensed is not a function of the press, but of the powder measure. I'm guessing that you're asking about the Lee auto disk measure, which is used by many people who also use turret presses. IMHO, the auto disk PRO version works adequately for non match/personal protection handgun loads above 4 grains. I don't consider it to be precise enough for any other application. The standard version of the auto disk is not precise enough for any application, in my opinion. I will repeat the offer I made on this forum some months ago. If someone wants to send me the postage in advance I will send them my old Lee auto disk (complete) non-pro double disk measure.

I use the pro auto disk for larger handgun loads and I use the RCBS competition measure for a couple of rifle loads since I have it set up to easily drop those charges. For all my rifle loads that really count I use the PACT scale dispenser combo. I know what each and every drop weighs-- no trickling no guessing no cut grains no hassle no worries. I have friends who use the RCBS or Lyman versions of the same digital scale/dispenser, but I like the PACT because I can use the scale as a separate unit, and I do, frequently.
Old July 15, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
amamnn

Looking again at that post, it seems to me I was as imprecise as the auto disk about what loads I considered it capable of dropping. I will rephrase. I don't use the Lee pro auto disk to load any match cartridges. I do not use it to load any personal protection cartridges. I do not use it to load any rifle cartridges. I do not use the standard Lee auto disk at all. I have a standard auto disk unit which has the double disk kit installed. I also have two complete sets of disks. I gave it to my son. He gave it back. A person who contacted me through this forum indicated that he wanted it. He never ponied up the postage. ----Next?
Old July 15, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4
buckster

Powder measure

I have the Lee Classic Turrent kit and I don't use the powder measure or the Lee primer. I use the Lee with a powder funnel and a great digital scale, and the Lee hand primer. I put out over 500 rounds a weekend. The turn cam stripped and I just turned it by hand. Some people like to load their shells in a batch, and then then start pressing lead. Go back to the funnel so you can learn the process. Always double check your load visually before pressing the bullet. The powder measure doesn't like Unique, because of the shape, it will almost clog the funnel.
Old July 15, 2007, 01:01 AM   #5
oldironman

For some reason I had the idea that a turret had a hopper you filled with powder, and it dispensed a set amount with a crank or turn or push or pull. So it now appears that I have to weigh-out each and every powder charge with either kind press. This means that either will produce the highest precision possible, just one faster than the other? Thanks.