The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2018, 08:17 AM   #1
std7mag

Savage Arms (the business) for sale.

I don't have the link, but had just read about Vista Outdoors selling the Savage Arms.

Potential speculation is Sig Sauer purchasing them.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 23, 2018, 08:34 AM   #2
godale

I heard that over the summer . I hope the new ownership don’t ruin it like freedom group did to Remington and marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
taylorce1

I'm sure now that the Presidency has changed they are suffering from slow sales like many firearms manufactures. I'm not sure it was a smart business decision to offer AR style rifles so late in the game, and with such a glut of them in the market. It's a move to keep shareholders happy I'm sure.
Old November 23, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I'm sure now that the Presidency has changed they are suffering from slow sales like many firearms manufactures. I'm not sure it was a smart business decision to offer AR style rifles so late in the game, and with such a glut of them in the market. It's a move to keep shareholders happy I'm sure.

Not only did they do the ar thing late but they are making so many variations of the model 110 too

Old November 23, 2018, 01:18 PM   #5
MarkCO

Expanded at the wrong time...collapse comes.
Old November 23, 2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Charlie98

The fact remains that they were almost giving away rifles for a while, with rebates and sales, and then they jumped into an already heavily saturated AR market. Then they spent all that money with their new logo. Dumb moves.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 23, 2018, 08:41 PM   #7
Drm50

Savage went down the tubes in 80-90? They were in somekind of holder ship
before they were reorganized and used 110 series rifle to climb out of the hole. I
don't know how many owners they have been through since. I don't like the new Savage products so I don't pay much attention to them. The last Savage that I looked at was the "thing" they put out to replace the 24 series O/U.
Old November 23, 2018, 09:35 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Savage has made some questionable moves the past couple years, but they suffer from the same affliction Kel-Tec does: Rugeritis. Ruger takes a decent design for the Axis, improves it in a few places, and makes a far better rifle for a few dollars more. When I think about buying a bolt action for under 400, I look at Ruger, not Savage.

Now when I saw a 6.5 Creedmore Axis for $250 after rebate for Black Friday, that turns my head, but I'm not that impulsive. If the price stayed at $250 with rebate until New Year's, I'd buy one.

Anyway, when it comes to Savage and Kel-Tec, KT has the advantage because they don't just make bolt action rifles like Savage mostly does and the designs of the guns Kel Tec makes are what sell them. When all you make is a generic bolt action or entry level AR, you're not gonna get much attention from buyers at the gun store.

About the only thing Savage has made that made me think about them was the over/under Model 42 (that is way overpriced) and the single shot break action shotguns they came out with last year that nobody in any shotgun thread of any forum I've been to has talked about since the news broke they were making single shot shotguns.

I mean, that should be a big deal that someone is still making an affordable single shot shotgun, but it was quickly forgotten and Savage needs a better marketing team.
Old November 24, 2018, 06:41 PM   #9
RC20

I like Savage as you can turn them into great project guns!

In my case, 3 x Bull Barrel. Low cost to a high quality setup as I can do my own barrel off and on.

Not bench rest accurate but I keep getting better.

The Acu Trigger with the Varmint spring is a decent recreational target shooting trigger. Havn't been able to get my hands on a Red Blade.

On the other hand the supply is there now.....

The move into ARs was dumb, who said corporations were smart?

I think they would be a great adder for Sig, but Sig has an image. Hard telling if they would want to meld that.

Issue now is everyone has low cost bolt actions. $300 or so and sometimes less and off you go. Not a great rifle but good enough for hunting.

Savage has some issue with magazine feed and the ejector system. I don't care for my use, hunters might though most are one shot and score or not.

I do like the knurled nut and top bolt release models.
Old November 24, 2018, 09:02 PM   #10
Roamin_Wade

I love me some Savage rifles but I’ll never own one of their “synthetic” (plastic) stocked guns. I’d like a 22-250 in a model 14.
Old November 25, 2018, 11:32 AM   #11
RC20

RW:

You just buy the gun and dump the stock for a Boyds!
Old November 25, 2018, 01:40 PM   #12
old roper

Savage has two plants one here other Canada for rimfire. That was done before Vista purchase them. That could be one of the problems.
NRA Life Member
Old November 26, 2018, 11:45 AM   #13
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin_Wade View Post
I love me some Savage rifles but I’ll never own one of their “synthetic” (plastic) stocked guns. I’d like a 22-250 in a model 14.

I have a model 114 in 30-06 . The model 14/114 are the best looking savages ever

Old November 27, 2018, 10:31 PM   #14
reynolds357

I have always been a Savage fan. Recently, their rifles just don't make sense. They should have kept the non accutrigger 110 and the Stephens. They were better guns to compete with Ruger American, A bolt Browning, etc. than Axis is. Their mid priced guns are overpriced. Their high priced rifles are ugly for guns at that price point.
Old November 28, 2018, 06:22 AM   #15
fourbore

I have a Savage Striker handgun. I give it points for different and price, when new, was reasonable. It is not all that great a gun, but; it got my attention and I kept it. I read a comparison between KalTec and Savage. I do not see any parallel here. If I had any input for Savage, it would be to get a more creative or inventive with the product line. Exactly what product is over my pay grade. A single shots like old favorite. A big bore rifle based on the bolt action shotgun. It take a lot more than inertia to be successful in business. Or just the opposite. I am no Henry fanboy, but; they are not sitting still. There is no reason in the world I would ever buy a new Savage.

A partnership offer to a top design engineer might go a long way. KalTec must have some good engineering to offer all the product they dream up.
Old November 28, 2018, 06:44 AM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have a Savage Striker handgun. I give it points for different and price, when new, was reasonable. It is not all that great a gun, but; it got my attention and I kept it. I read a comparison between KalTec and Savage. I do not see any parallel here. If I had any input for Savage, it would be to get a more creative or inventive with the product line. Exactly what product is over my pay grade. A single shots like old favorite. A big bore rifle based on the bolt action shotgun. It take a lot more than inertia to be successful in business. Or just the opposite. I am no Henry fanboy, but; they are not sitting still. There is no reason in the world I would ever buy a new Savage.

A partnership offer to a top design engineer might go a long way. KalTec must have some good engineering to offer all the product they dream up.
My point comparing the two was both companies make low priced guns that got copied by Ruger, who improved upon the designs the other company made, and took business away from them. In Savage's case it was the Ruger American, in Kel Tec's it was the LCP/LC9.

Thing is Kel Tec has more diversity of guns they sell and innovated designs while Savage makes a variety of bolt actions and a few shotguns. With Savage, their line of bolt actions never takes the top spot depending on their price range; for budget bolt actions, again Ruger makes a better rifle, for mid range bolt rifle Howa/Tikka make a better rifle for the same money, and so on.

When you don't come in first place in any category for bolt actions and 90% of what you make is bolt actions, you're not going to succeed for very long and when people are looking for a new rifle and can spend a few bucks more on something better, they will. If the only thing you can deliver is the cheapest bolt action on the market that's reasonably good, you can't really pull in enough money to invest it in other product lines cuz your profits from the cheap rifle sales aren't going to be enough to fund it.

It's a vicious cycle Savage found itself in, but being sold and new management I think will help the brand.

Last edited by TruthTellers; November 28, 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old November 28, 2018, 07:00 AM   #17
fourbore

Good points - That is the "Truth".
Old November 29, 2018, 05:06 PM   #18
dvdcrr

I think they should have kept making a basic 10/110 staggerfeed pillar bed stock with sights on it.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:17 PM   #19
bamaranger

can't help it

Maybe I'll just shoot them an offer.
Old November 29, 2018, 08:20 PM   #20
std7mag

I'm sure your offer would beat mine.
Guess Savage is moving to Alabama instead of Wyoming. Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 29, 2018, 10:15 PM   #21
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Maybe I'll just shoot them an offer.
Wouldn't that be cool. I often wonder if some random gun-nut could not do a better job running a company like savage than some Harvard MBA.
Old November 29, 2018, 10:46 PM   #22
5whiskey

Quote:
I have always been a Savage fan. Recently, their rifles just don't make sense. They should have kept the non accutrigger 110 and the Stephens. They were better guns to compete with Ruger American, A bolt Browning, etc. than Axis is. Their mid priced guns are overpriced. Their high priced rifles are ugly for guns at that price point.
100% agree. The axis took cost cutting to a whole new level. I bought one for my son, really just to be an action donor project rifle. Lo and behold they changed the recoil lug design to one embedded in the stock, and that stock is even worse than the ones on the Stevens rifles. I finally did get it to shoot. It's a 1k yard rifle now. But not what I was expecting at all.

Quote:
I often wonder if some random gun-nut could not do a better job running a company like savage than some Harvard MBA.
I often wonder if you arent right. Yet a lot of the stuff I like, and think others would like, would probably be cost prohibitive at a mass market scale. There's a reason why deep blued finishes and walnut stocks aren't common these days. People may like them, but many aren't willing to drop the money required to have one. Not.when you can buy an AR for not.much more than a savage axis.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Last edited by 5whiskey; November 29, 2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old November 30, 2018, 08:16 AM   #23
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Wouldn't that be cool. I often wonder if some random gun-nut could not do a better job running a company like savage than some Harvard MBA.
I think a gun nut with business experience at the helm would do them a lot of good. At least then they would offer products us other gun nuts want...

Tony
Old November 30, 2018, 10:13 AM   #24
davidsog

Quote:
I think a gun nut with business experience at the helm would do them a lot of good. At least then they would offer products us other gun nuts want...
Exactly. They seem to have taken the route of Washington DC. Lots of thinking about doing something with little experience actually doing anything.
Old November 30, 2018, 01:53 PM   #25
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
I think they should have kept making a basic 10/110 staggerfeed pillar bed stock with sights on it.

I agree and that’s part of their problem