The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2018, 11:10 PM   #1
ThomasT

Tisas 1911

I found this 1911 on Buds website but know nothing about them. I have read a couple of post that mentioned them but I am no 1911 expert. I started a thread way back in 2015 asking about base model 1911s like the SA Mil-Spec and many recommended the RIA 1911 GI A1. I liked that gun. It has everything I wanted like basic sights and a lowered ejection port.

I think these are made in Turkey. I don't like the trigger or the hammer. Those would have to go and be replaced with a hammer and trigger like the original 1911. How much would the parts cost?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ctical+Trigger

I like this better. Its closer to what I want with the exception of the extended mag. But mags are cheap and easy to find for these guns.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...1+CA+Compliant

What does California compliant mean?
Old December 13, 2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Hawg

I would go with the Rock Island, just change the grips and mag. I use CMC Shooting Star mags in mine.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:44 PM   #3
ThomasT

Hawg I think thats good advice. What grips do you recommend? I have already been on GB looking at once fired brass prices. I reload for everything but 25 ACP. I don't shoot that one enough to mess with reloading. I just bought 500 rounds of ammo and called it good.

I'm starting to itch all over. I think I see a new gun in my future.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

California compliant means that it has been submitted to the California DOJ for testing, it passed, and it is listed on the roster of firearms that can be purchased new in California.

Yes, the Tisas pistols are made in Turkey.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tisas

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.p...ent-100-review
Old December 14, 2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Hawg

I use a set of wrap around Pachmayrs but I cut the front strap off of them since this pic was taken. It made them feel too fat.

Old December 14, 2018, 01:59 PM   #6
dwhite

Turks make good guns at reasonable prices.

I've got a Stoeger 8040 that was made it Turkey. Paid $380 for it and it's as nice as any of the Beretta made ones were. Okay, maybe the finish isn't quite as nice but overall workmanship is very good.

With CNC machine tools and high precision cutting tools it isn't that hard to make a GOOD 1911. Shooters Arms Manufacturing in the Philippines has a number of Haas milling machines, which are built in America. I have an ATI built by Shooters Arms and it has been a great pistol.

I've heard people say the only ones to buy are those made in America, well, guaranteed the steel, some of it's alloys, or some small component parts are NOT American made. Years ago I bought a VW Jetta. My uncle gave me crap about not buying an American made car. I took him out to his Impala and had him pop the hood. He was shocked how many components we NOT American made.

Buy the Tisas, you'll probably love it. The money you save over a Springfield will buy you a good bit of ammo.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite; December 14, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old December 14, 2018, 02:56 PM   #7
ThomasT

Hawg those are nice looking grips but don't really fit the G.I. theme as much as I would like. I am trying to get close to the original Colt WWII 1911 without going crazy about it. I would also like a real retro AR-15 with the triangle forend, fixed butt and carry handle and 20" skinny barrel. But not enough to go in debt over it.

Hi DWhite. Now I am between the Tisas and the RIA GI 1911. But the burr hammer and ported trigger would have to go. And the price for the parts to replace them would most likely bring the cost up close to the RIA 1911.

I will eventually get what I want just the way I want it. I am patient.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:40 PM   #8
Hawg

You can get double diamond grips for it. I had these cocobola grips on mine but the rubber grips look a little better with the black parkerizing and they feel just as good. Any grips that fit a Colt will fit the Rock.

Old December 14, 2018, 09:49 PM   #9
ThomasT

Hawg now yer talkin'. I like those grips and that gun. Not a fan of the ambi safety but thats pretty close to what I am wanting. What gun is that? I just want a no frills working type gun like the G.I.'s carried in the wars. The only big change I want is a lowered ejection port so I don't ding up my highly reloadable brass.

I ran across a local cop a few years ago that had a 1911 from WWII in his holster. I asked him about it and he was happy to stop and talk guns. His good looked good in that holster too.
Old December 14, 2018, 10:05 PM   #10
tallball

I bought a Tisas GI 1911 from Bud's brand-new about five years ago. I can't remember if I paid about $300 or about $400... probably four.

I bought it mostly because I didn't have a 1911 and wanted to own one. I've put maybe 500 rounds through it.

As far as I'm concerned it's a quality pistol. It's never malfunctioned. The trigger is pretty good. Its finish is better than the finish on my RIA 40 caliber 1911.

I would probably shoot it more if I'd paid more money and gotten adjustable sights, but for a plain old GI 1911 it's just fine.
Old December 15, 2018, 12:01 AM   #11
Hawg

Ratshooter, it's a Rock Island Tactical. I don't like the ambi safety either but have been too lazy to take it off.
Old December 15, 2018, 10:52 AM   #12
ThomasT

Tallball I bet you paid closer to $300 for your gun. The one I linked to at us=ds is $329 with the tactical trigger and burr hammer. They are out of stock for the standard G.I. models and I bet they are a little lower in price and just what I want for a gun and no parts swapping.

I just sold one gun on GB so that gives me a little spending cash to buy something else new to play with. You know, like I need a new gun.
Old December 15, 2018, 11:04 AM   #13
Ricklin

Just a week

I just received the tactical trigger model Tisa's 1911 from Bud's. In fact it is going to the range today.

I am not a 1911 guy, I am a gun guy. I am impressed! The trigger is really good. In my opinion the slide to frame fit could not be any better.

Finish is nice, not sure I think it's a black phosphate but it's very smooth and even.

I've field stripped it several times now, cleaned excess oil and used CLP which is my favorite.

I am very pleased and I'm all in at 350 bucks with transfer. It's a heck of a deal at that price. My local fun store was impressed and considering selling them, they are waiting for my range report.

Some would call me cheap, I prefer fiscally conservative.

I have a lot of pistols, didn't know if I would like the 1911 so did not want to spend a lot on my first one. I think I did really well.
Old December 15, 2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
Hi DWhite. Now I am between the Tisas and the RIA GI 1911. But the burr hammer and ported trigger would have to go. And the price for the parts to replace them would most likely bring the cost up close to the RIA 1911.
THe closest thing to a GI trigger is probably a short, steel trigger from Sarco. That'll probably set you back about $10, IIRC. You can get reproduction wide-spur hammers from Brownells, probably from Sarco, and from a number of other vendors. I don't remember prices on those, but my guess is under $25.

Sarco may still have some GI grips for the M1911A1. If not, reproduction Walnut double diamond grips are widely available (and prices are all over the map). Again, check Sarco, and Brownells (Navidrex).
Old December 15, 2018, 12:30 PM   #15
ThomasT

Quote:

I have a lot of pistols, didn't know if I would like the 1911 so did not want to spend a lot on my first one. I think I did really well.
They call me cheap. But I'm not. I'm frugal.

My bud saw a can of Titewad Powder and said "Hey, they named a powder after you". Not funny.

Thanks for the heads up on the parts Aquila Blanco. I am going to have to learn how to take one of these apart I guess. Thank goodness for Youtube.
Old December 15, 2018, 12:38 PM   #16
ThomasT

I did have a 1911 many years ago. A Llama version of the 1911. It worked fine every time as long as you used RN bullets. It refused to feed hollow points of any kind that I tried even with different mags and a polished feed ramp. But they "always fall to ball" right?

Anyway I sold it long ago and didn't really miss it. But I would like to try another one. Not that I think the 45 is a superior round. But I do like the way the guns feel in your hand and I like the single action set up. I have shot a Springfield Armory 45 in stainless steel with upgrade sights. Man that gun was accurate and fun to shoot.
Old December 15, 2018, 01:36 PM   #17
scoobysnacker

I have a Tisas 1911A1 that I picked up used for $299 at the LGS. Unlike the one in the link in the OP, mine came with traditional hammer and trigger; Hammer actually has the fatter tip.

Recoil spring is a bit heavy, I think 20 lbs. Seems to shoot fine, feeds hardball well. I have 1 Chip McCormick mag, and a bunch of Sarco 7 rd "surplus" mags (I don't know if they are truly surplus or just copies). The Sarco ones were incredibly cheap and came in canvas mag pouches.
They feed just fine.

The Tisas I have appears to have a black enamel or Duracoat paint job, instead of blue or parkerized. That honestly is my biggest gripe, and something I soon intend on correcting.

I also have an Armscor High Standard I got used off gunbroker for about $250 or so. That is parkerized and has a flat mainspring housing, otherwise pretty much GI spec.

I recently found a deal on ebay where someone was selling Remington walnut double diamond grips, they were factory seconds and unfinished. Going for under $12 apiece. I bought 2 pair, sanded them a tad and slapped on a couple coats of BLO, and they now look beautiful.
They fit both the Tisas and Armscor without issue.

Comparing the two, I think I like the Armscor better, but some of that is the finish. Otherwise, I think both are about equal in terms of function, and for the price I don't think you could go wrong with either.
That said, I checked with the Armscor site, and they confirmed that it still carries the warranty, while I think you're on your own with Tisas.
Old December 15, 2018, 01:49 PM   #18
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Finish is nice, not sure I think it's a black phosphate but it's very smooth and even.
I thought that was the case with mine, but it's paint. Nice smooth paint job, but I somehow got a chip during takedown/reassembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
I am very pleased and I'm all in at 350 bucks with transfer. It's a heck of a deal at that price. My local fun store was impressed and considering selling them, they are waiting for my range report.

You sound like you are in the same boat I'm in

Both the Tisas and the Armscor guns are hella good deals at $300ish, especially if it's going to be just one of a stable. Both are competent shooters that don't seem to break down, and they both seem to be in spec with each other.
Old December 15, 2018, 03:55 PM   #19
Hawg

I don't know about the Tisas but the Rock Island has a lifetime warranty no matter who originally bought the gun and from what I hear on various forums their customer service is second to none. I never needed it with mine. I've had it for about 7 years now and not one single malfunction with any ammo from Tula steel cased to hand loaded SWC's.

These will get you started on how things come apart and go back together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIT0Dv2JVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCraFwgMGs
Old December 15, 2018, 04:41 PM   #20
Ricklin

Heck of a good paint job but ya I believe you. Finishing like that takes a lot of cost out. As long as the finish is reasonably durable, no concern from me.

I am impressed as long as it shoots well, all reports I have seen state that it does. I have shot .45 before, my brother has a Taurus 1911.
I do really dig the 1911, it's a very cool design and hard to beat the feel in the hand, even with my fairly small mitts, it feels great.

Already feeling like it may lead to more and "better" 1911's. Esp. with retirement looming to have more time to shoot.
Old December 16, 2018, 12:58 PM   #21
scoobysnacker

Regarding warranties and whatnot, yes the Armscor guns are covered for the life of the gun.

Just an ignorant question here, but is that relevant for anything outside of catastrophic failure? I mean, it seems most of the time we just use a gun (1911 in particular) as a base for what we want, replace grips and springs etc as necessary, and then go on with shooting and life. I assume extractors and firing pins can fail, is that what you get with the warranty? Anyone use that warranty on a non-lemon?
Old December 19, 2018, 12:42 AM   #22
ifithitu

I have both,I like the RIA better,just me they both shoot fine.
Old December 19, 2018, 07:26 AM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hum... I wonder if they have any intention of ever chambering it in .38 Super?

That would seem to be a good way to get into that cartridge for me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2018, 04:43 PM   #24
dwhite

Been waiting on a range report for this.......

All the Best,
D. White
Old December 22, 2018, 05:29 PM   #25
ThomasT

The painted finish on the Tisas would be a mark against that gun for me. I had a French model 35A and it had a painted finish. I never was able to find ammo for that gun so I sold it. That was before Al Gore invented the internet so didn't have the search function.

I am leaning more towards the RIA gun. Thanks for all the replies.