The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2017, 01:42 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Tell me about Stoeger

Saw a video of a short barrel shotgun recently and the model side by side was a Stoeger Coach Gun. I'm interested in possibly making a break action double gun a SBS.

How are Stoeger shotguns? I'm aware of their Double Defense line, but they make lots of other shotguns including the Outback over/under that's caught my eye.

If you had to choose a sxs or o/u shotgun that was less than $600, would Stoeger be the best choice?
Old April 29, 2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Virginian

Their Outlander with extractors and two triggers has a reasonable reputation as a tough gun that works. Haven't heard too much bad about their plain Coach Guns either. Both are popular in Cowboy action, which is hell for guns.
Stay away from anything they make with two barrels and with a single trigger and/or ejectors. Tons of issues.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:52 AM   #3
FITASC

Not a fan of cheap O/U or SxS guns - they require a lot of handwork to regulate and get right so costs are typically higher than most other production guns. With a price that low, I would be suspect of quality and longevity. Now in the USED department, there are a lot more possibilities, whether older AyAs sold by Sears, CZs, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 29, 2017, 11:58 AM   #4
TruthTellers

^ Yeah, I know there are lots of good, old used double guns out there, but that's not an option for me. My focus is on a current manufacturer who can give me service if something goes wrong and can also fit a spare set of barrels in case I want to take the 20 inch barrels off and put on a set of 30 inch barrels.
Old April 29, 2017, 12:19 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Stoeger's stuff is made in Brazil and always have been. Stoeger is just the importer. Decent kit for the money though. Their site does not list extra barrels for any of their doubles. Ask 'em.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/contact
Look into the legalities of 'making' an SBS first. Then the issue will be are the barrels connected over their entire length. Not sure if Stoeger Coachers are or not. Absolutely is not something done with a hack saw either way.
Old April 29, 2017, 01:03 PM   #6
JoeSixpack

Can not comment on their shotguns.
But I do have a Cougar 9mm

Beretta owns Stoeger.
When Beretta discontinued the cougar they sent to machines to Stoeger in Turkey.

The Cougar I have has excellent fit and finish.
The only thing different is the stamping on the slide and the price is about half what the cougar sold for under Beretta (which frankly was TOO DAMN HIGH ~600)
Old April 29, 2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Jimbo-Indy

I bought a Stoeger Condor Competion for trap shooting about 6 years ago. Overall, strong and dependable. No trigger or ejector problems. At first had problem with stock not properly inleted around hammer spring for bottom barrel. Reamed it out myself. Second was the siide trim between the barrels came loose. Glued it myself. Otherwise, no problems. If I miss, it's my fault, not the gun. Not refined but it works.
Old April 29, 2017, 04:14 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
can also fit a spare set of barrels in case I want to take the 20 inch barrels off and put on a set of 30 inch barrels.
You'd be better off financially to just go get a gun with 30" barrels. This isn't like changing barrels on a pump or a Glock and that fitting requires very good skill, and enough time, to make it cost prohibitive.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 29, 2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Hawg

The Stoeger SXS and O/U are made by Boito in Brazil.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Kvon2

I have an Uplander supreme that I had to send back because it would double fire relatively regularly...not fun.

They had to send me a new one and I haven't put many rounds through it yet but so far no problems. I will admit they handled everything pretty swiftly and professionally. For the money I would purchase another product of theirs.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:19 PM   #11
Creek Henry

A couple of duck hunters on a hunting forum liked the Longfowler. They likened it to a nice hammer. It is a sturdy but unbeautiful tool. They could hit duck with it and it held up to salt marshes ok
Old April 30, 2017, 04:37 AM   #12
eastbank

they don,t show up at the clays games to often and when they do its only to visit. for a rotten weather hunter that is not shot alot they may be ok. i know some one will be along to sing their praise, but they will be in the minority. eastbank.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Tad_T

I guess it depends on what you want to use them for.

I have bunch of SxS double barrels. Four of them are Stoegers. We use them for shooting Cowboy Action and we usually shoot three matches a month. That would come out to average between 75-100 rounds a month per gun. I've never had any problems with any of these guns or had to send any of them in for service.

For Stoegers, I have a 12 gauge Coach Gun. My wife and daughter both shoot 20 gauge Uplanders, and I have a .410 Coach Gun. When my daughter first started shooting CAS, she used the .410.

When I use a SxS for hunting, I normally use one of my Parkers. A Coach Gun is not really a hunting gun in my eyes. My wife and daughter both use their Stoeger Uplanders when they go bird hunting with me. They like them and they are used to them.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:51 AM   #14
Scout

I've been shooting clays with a Longfowler for a couple of years. Many thousands of rounds later, it is holding up well. Locks up tight and hits what you point at. It had a propensity to double, or bump fire every once in a while. This has diminished over time.
Old April 30, 2017, 09:46 AM   #15
eastbank

one double or bunp fire would mean its going to go. i can honestly say i never have had either of those types of actions happen from any of my double barrels or over unders and some of them have over 30,000 rounds thru them and i,m not considered a heavy shooter. i have friends who shoot 200-300 a week. eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; April 30, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:29 PM   #16
smee78

I had a Stoeger SXS 20" brushed nickel and it was an awesome shotgun. I let it go a few years ago but do miss it due to it being a solid gun. It never had any problems and went bang every time so I cant complain.

Tags
stoeger