The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Mehuntr39

New to forum 308 build

I am going to be building a rifle to shoot @ 600 yards and under. I have been eyeballing the Savage model 10 precision carbine and the Remington 700 in the same configuration 20" heavy weight barrel. They both can be had for around the same money. I give the nod to the Remmy for its aftermarket support but I also know the Savage can be a dam nice shooting rifle out of the box. Which would you buy and why?
Old November 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
ripnbst

If when you say build, you truly mean build, then Rem 700 gets my vote.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
TheBear

get a cz550 great and inexpensive.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Jerry45

If you're going to "build" I agree going with the Remmy. 700. I have a 308 built on a 700 long action, Krieger Barrel, Jewel trigger, in a Bell and Carson stock that's a tack driver (built by a local smith).

I have three Savages, .17 HMR, .22 and a .223 all factory (.223 is wife's rifle). I just bought a CZ 527 in .223 for myself. After working up loads for my wife's .223 it's a great shooter (1/4 groups when I'm having a good day). The CZ is more forgiving when it comes to loading (haven't finished working up loads and it's already shooting 1/4 groups. Many two shots in the same hole at 100 yards. The factory adjustable single stage trigger is fantastic. The CZ bolt is easier to work and smoother than the Savage. Only drawback to the CZ is I had to order a "special" rail to convert from 14 mm. dovetail scope mount to Weaver/Picatinny to get the height I needed for my scope. High rings alone didn't get it. Rail and medium height rings place my 56 mm. scope right at eye level.

Build Remmy 700, factory CZ. My 0.02 worth.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Mehuntr39

Ok so why all the love for the Remington? The thing that intrigues me about the Savage is the fact that I can change the barrel very easily to another caliber in Short Action, also the Savage will cost less to have the smith blueprint and balance the gun. Not knocking the Remmy as I had a 243 model 700 that shot factory ammo nearly hole for hole if I did my part.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
PatientWolf

Hmmmmm....you asked for opinions and you got them. Isn't that what you wanted? The 700 has had a great reputation for many years, as has the Savage 110, the Winchester 70 and a few others.

Ultimately, you are getting what you asked for. What you ultimately choose is up to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either platform you mentioned Currently I have a Savage 110C in .243 that I love, but am in a similar boat to you. In fact, if you go to the General section you will see I recently asked a similar question. I haven't made my decision yet.

Whichever way you go, I think you'll be happy. Good luck and good shooting!
Old November 7, 2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Bart B.

Note that for decades, the Winchester 70 dominated high power competition compared to other actions because of its reliability, ease of maintenance and operation plus its ability to stay epoxy bedded for several barrel lives due to its flat sides and bottom (Remmies twisted loose from bedding like all round receivers do every few hundred shots with .308 ammo). The Win. 70's also near three times as stiff as the Rem. 700's, too. Go measure both if you don't believe it.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Jerry45

You ask why the love for the Remington 700. The man that built mine "only builds Remington". He has been a bench-rest champion for many years. I'm not the bests rifleman in the world and I can shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards on good days. The rifle can punch on tiny hole all day long with a "good" shot behind the trigger. As stated, Winchester and Savage can be made to do the same. Soooooo it's just a mater of choice. Had "the man" been a Winchester man, I'd have a Winchester.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:06 AM   #9
kraigwy

I'm with Bart B on this. Hard to beat the stiff, flat, Model 70 actions. I use the Model 70 for my Match Rifle builds (and hunting rifles).

But you asked about the Savage vs. Remington.

Of the two I vote Remington.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 10, 2012, 07:51 PM   #10
alex0535

I would restock a Remington 700 SPS Varmit and replace the trigger. (You may have better options, I am a lefty.)

26" Heavy contour barrel. Bit heavy for my purposes but I think it would probably put rounds out at 600 yards pretty well with good glass and a competent shooter.

Going further, more accuracy could be gained by truing the action and having a new high quality barrel put on the rifle.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
arizona98tj

Remington and Savage both will work well. It seems lots of folks buy a Remington and then start swapping out parts and end up with a nice shooting gun. (they are always talking about the many aftermarket parts available) I bought a Savage 10....put an optic on it, left everything else the same, and it does this. (taken while working up some loads for a precision rifle course) I did finally end up putting a cheek piece on the stock to make it a little more comfortable.

In the end, I believe it all boils down to how many changes you want to make to what you buy. If so, Savage's easy to change barrel eliminates the need for a gunsmith and/or expensive tools.